Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    @Octahedron ; Congratulations!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22813
    Today's pick has to be "Acid Roulette", the new album by Scorpion Child. What a well done album of rock music. 
    Is it out now?  I'd better get my order in.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Philly_Q;1104827" said:
    Octahedron said:

Today's pick has to be "Acid Roulette", the new album by Scorpion Child. What a well done album of rock music. 

It is in Australia - stuff comes out on Fridays for us... so for you guys it should drop on Monday?
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    New Rival Sons cd arrived last night. First brief listen was accompanied by my two sons tearing about the place and Mrs P grumping about life, the universe and everything. Anyway, I'm a fan of the band and the first listen indicated it's a good one. Hopefully I'll get peace to give it another whirl today some time.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22813
    Philly_Q;1104827" said:
    Octahedron said:

It is in Australia - stuff comes out on Fridays for us... so for you guys it should drop on Monday?
    I listened to it last night on Spotify.  The end of the last track is a little disturbing when you're half asleep at 3 o'clock in the morning...
    andyp said:
    New Rival Sons cd arrived last night. First brief listen was accompanied by my two sons tearing about the place and Mrs P grumping about life, the universe and everything. Anyway, I'm a fan of the band and the first listen indicated it's a good one. Hopefully I'll get peace to give it another whirl today some time.
    Interesting. From what I've heard of it, compared to the last 3 albums (Pressure & Time, Head Down, Great Western Valkyrie) it's a bit more... mellow?? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    New Sumac LP - its fantastic

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I treated myself to Adore Life by Savages. Having thought they had an obvious Bauhaus influence it's odd to find the cd packaging also does. I like it/ them but I'm not sure it shows any more originality than say Jo Bonamassa. That doesn't really lessen it in my eyes though and I think Jehnny is a really interesting vocalist.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I treated myself to Adore Life by Savages. Having thought they had an obvious Bauhaus influence it's odd to find the cd packaging also does. I like it/ them but I'm not sure it shows any more originality than say Jo Bonamassa. That doesn't really lessen it in my eyes though and I think Jehnny is a really interesting vocalist.
    If you get a chance, go see them live

It's a really intense experience
    Stop crying, start buying
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Moss said:
    If you get a chance, go see them live

It's a really intense experience
    To what extent it'd be a gig for fat middle aged men I'm not sure but no UK dates at the moment anyway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Blues Pills... Wow! Love it!

I had never heard of them before I saw them mentioned in Total Guitar last night. Superb album. It's amazing. Reminds me of lots of other bands but I can't remember hearing something quite like this before. Blues / Rock with a female vocalist and cracking riff and hooks... awesome!

Will definitely be buying this one.

:D
    edited June 2016
    It keeps coming up for me 'cos it's on one of my playlists... "Drop in the Bucket" by David Lee Roth on the "A Little Ain't Enough" album that had Jason Becker on guitar.

That song gets me every time because it's perfection.

Becker's guitar tone is on point. His playing is incendiary. DLR's vocal is great and the way he wraps the lyrics around the melody is skilful. It's a very full on track but it's done well and there's not a thing I dislike about it.

Right up the middle, touchdown that's the game, extra point and you're never the same! Tight like a fiddle string, shot right through the brain, graspin' straws and that ain't all you'll slip right down her drain!

If I had to be curator for a rock compilation - this would be on it without question!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited June 2016

...and this evening Eric Clapton - I Still Do - a bit too laid back in places but a fair few decent blush rootsy tunes sprinkled in which grab me and a lovely Band like version of St. Augustine (Dylan)
    Just bought this. IMHO a lot better than some of his more recent albums. As you say, quite laid back, but with some very nice and tasteful playing indeed. Agree with your comments re St Augustine. Also, the track, Spiral, is a standout. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    HAL9000;1114148" said:
    chromatuna said:
     ...and this evening

Eric Clapton - I Still Do - a bit too laid back in places but a fair few decent blush rootsy tunes sprinkled in which grab me and a lovely Band like version of St. Augustine (Dylan)

Just bought this. IMHO a lot better than some of his more recent albums. As you say, quite laid back, but with some very nice and tasteful playing indeed. Agree with your comments re St Augustine. Also, the track, Spiral, is a standout. 
    Received this as a Fathers Day gift - one or two weak tracks - but overall the best EC studio album in a very long time.

The mix of originals, J J Cale/Dylan covers and slide-heavy Blues was the template for much of his best work in the 70s.

A welcome return to form.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited June 2016
    The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette.

Fuggin' brilliant, although I can live without most of their output after this album...

Went to see them last week in Southampton which kind of rekindled my enthusiasm for them.  Vanian and The Captain have been on some serious anti aging pills....

Also interesting to hear that Captain wrote Smash It Up immediately after hearing Marc Bolan had died - so the slow guitar part at the start was when he was sad, and the smashy uppy bit was when he was angry.  Good eh?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited June 2016
    The Durutti Column, "Blue Period"

You kind of either get this or you don't (because it's not traditional Blues)..  Blues with a minor feel.  Very free and easy playing.
    It's wonderful.

This morning I played the Redcoats debut album in the car. Good album. Kinda reminds me of early Rival Sons stuff before they got big - shame they (Rival Sons) couldn't have retained a sound like that on their latest album Hollow Bones, which I found a bit underwhelming. 

And then I was listening to "Love Spreads" by The Stone Roses on the walk from the car park to the office. Great track. First heard due to it being featured on one of the old Guitar Hero games. :) One of TSR's finer moments.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    Simon & Garfunkel's "Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme" yesterday morning whilst chomping on Father's Day Toblerone :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    King Creosote, "Spy Stick"

Giving the latest Dream Theater album a second chance.