DAW help

What's Hot

I've got some music ideas but no DAW or DAW skills to speak of....

I do however have  a saffire 24 focusrite input thingy and studio speakers plus an up tae date 64 bit REAPER installed in my W7 PC....

am I correct in thinkin' that all I require tae get started is some 64 bit VSTs for some basic drums/guitar/keyboard/bass recordings?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You got most of the basics there......

The gear you need depends on what are you intending on recording. 

If you plan on predominately using software instruments I'd consider getting a controller with MIDI capabilities. 

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    sounds like a good starting point, I have similar equipment and am now thinking about getting some proper studio monitors. check out Pete Thorns Q&A videos on Facebook as he typically goes over a number of recording tools during a session.

good luck!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited May 2016
    You got most of the basics there......

The gear you need depends on what are you intending on recording. 

If you plan on predominately using software instruments I'd consider getting a controller with MIDI capabilities. 

a controller.....you mean a regular midi keyboard.....and could you recommend a decent one for me ?

I guess I would be recording "real" guitar and the rest from the VSTs...just basic but good quality demos

tae be or not tae be
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28331
    Well, if you'll excuse some quite-appropriate spamming, I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e in the Classifieds. USB and MIDI out so whatever suits you.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/917108/#Comment_917108

Also a TriggerFinger in case you fancy programming drums by hand/finger.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    M Audio, Novation Impulse, both good cheap midi keys.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    If you fancy spending a few quid, I heartily recommend the Fishman Tripleplay midi guitar setup :)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I just bought a Sapphire 2i2 and that came with a load of freeby stuff so I've spent the last couple of evenings trying to get a grib on this recrdin malarky. So you might want to check the stuff in the box that your interface came with :)
    And try a lot of demos of DAWs. Some will suit, some won't. The only two I've ever gotten on with were Cadenza and FL Studio.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Reaper is a wonderful DAW, especially for audio - just spend sometime with it.

Also, do yourself a favor and download the scuffham amps Sgear demo. It's a wonderful amp sim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Studio One free demo...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Yes - i mean a midi controller. I think it'd be a good investment for you. I've had a few, but currently use a Novation impulse 49. 

I don't know Sporky and we have yet to discuss commission - but I have used one of they before and its a good bit of versatile starter kit -

Sporky said:
    Well, if you'll excuse some quite-appropriate spamming, I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e in the Classifieds. USB and MIDI out so whatever suits you.

I don't know Sporky and we have yet to discuss commission - but I have used one of they before and its a good bit of versatile starter kit -
    Don't worry, I'm not on commission. :)
  • Sporky said:
    Don't worry, I'm not on commission. :)
    Lol - I was referring to commission you'd be offering me for endorsing your sale!!  ;)
    You sunk my funnyship! :-<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Sporky said:
    You sunk my funnyship! :-<
    Is there a minus lol option?
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 608
    Not sure if people know of this one? http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php I like it but first drum kit I have used.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 608
    P.S. Free now.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

Also check out junk/charity shops. You can often pickup a Yamaha or Roland keyboard with MIDI capability for around a nifty.

The little Korg Nanos usually go for a couple of pints! (but beware, no MIDI ports)

Dave.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've got a Novation Launchkey 49 controller keyboard. It's cheap and cheerful, but after a year of infrequent messing about I have to say I wish I'd forked out a bit more and got something a bit nicer, with aftertouch. (I'd probably be looking at Akai, just cos I like the heritage). If that M-Audio of Sporky's has aftertouch, then I'd grab that. ;)

Also, I don't know if it's your cup of tea, but U-he's beautiful-sounding and FREE Tyrell N6 synth is always worth getting - you can't argue with the price. https://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    One thing to note with getting a USB controller vs a generic old MIDI keyboard is that the USB will probably have more knobs, faders, and drum pads but crucially, it might well have some software to auto-integrate with your DAW and VSTs. That means that when you open up a patch, the knobs and faders might be automatically linked to some obvious parameters rather than you having to do it manually. Also, you'll probably get transport controls - play, stop, loop, rewind, etc etc.