Making Music sub forum? SotM, RotM

What's Hot

Comments

• I think the voting on the contests should be anonymous.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I like knowing who thinks what, as I get to hear more and more of the regular entrants.

I don't really see it as a competition, but more as a spur to to invent something to a deadline, coming up with brief bursts of creativity without the effort of composing a complete piece of music.

It's quite useful to gauge opinion. I've learned one thing, shredding is generally a vote loser.

It's also interesting to hear and learn from the approaches of other entrants.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Great to see all the comments :) Been choked with the cold and watched a shedload of That Pedal Show vids to pass the time so just getting on here now :) Let's do this! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    viz said:
    I often run out of time after having a few run throughs. Last month was the first time in ages I'd submitted an entry and I got lucky. Previously I'd only ever had a handful of votes so it's definitely worth the perseverance.

There are some top drawer players around here so it'd be great to hear more entries. I'd particularly like to hear some stuff from @Clarky @viz @bucket etc. 
    Me too!!! 
    I'd love to have a bash..
    my biggest prob is time.. I don't seem to have enough of it going spare..
    pretty frustrating..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    I haven't entered for a while. New job. New baby.  New house = no time
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2016
    People say they're interested and will listen then it dies. Also, human nature, it's disheartening when you spend time and effort on something like this and it gets no comments. A lot of folk are so busy - certainly I'm mega busy, even after quitting the band. However I have to say.... back in the intermusic days I took part in those "collective" recording challenges almost every month which was the catalyst for a lot of my 52 or so songs that I ever wrote - that was well worth it. Right now I don't have the time or the set-up to do recordings off the cuff (need a new place with a dedicated room).
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Don't be disheartened @thomasross20 ;, make music to please yourself first and foremost.
    All the otm entrants take the time to listen and comment, though to be fair there's not usually many of us to listen to lol

@ChrisRG same as me, played a few gigs as a teenager , bedroom player since, defo give it a go mate. I've took part for at least twelve months, not *won* a carrot, but the odd word of encouragement is very ...erm, encouraging :)
    It gives focus to my playing/composing.

@paul_c2 ; I'm sorry, I have copyrighted that excuse and have been using it for some time :)

The list below is not aimed at anybody in particular

I don't want to
    I only play/or am interested in other peoples music
    I don't play guitar very often
    I don't have the facility to record
    I am a gigging/recording musician, it's my day job, why would I bother?

All of the above are valid reasons ( imo ) not to take part.

Other than that, I'd suggest a "fuck it, I'm going to give it a go, what's the worst that could happen" attitude

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'm definitely going to try this month, I have attempted it before but I'm just about as creative as a Carrot. 
    Nice one @olafgarten  , nobodies expecting anything wildly creative or the first ever outing of a new genre, just have fun and play.

As @spark240 said above, just bang something out, everything's easier once you get the first time out of the way
  • I haven't entered for a while. New job. New baby.  New house = no time
    Seriously... Are you me?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    I like knowing who thinks what, as I get to hear more and more of the regular entrants.

I don't really see it as a competition, but more as a spur to to invent something to a deadline, coming up with brief bursts of creativity without the effort of composing a complete piece of music.

It's quite useful to gauge opinion. I've learned one thing, shredding is generally a vote loser.

I think, at least, the submitted entries should remain anonymous on the playlist. 

I'm _not_ talking about anyone or any situation that has happened in the past or any situation I have been involved in but I am saying that it would stop tit-for-tat voting or people voting, or not voting, for people they like / not like regardless of whether or not the track was any good. 

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I think the voting on the contests should be anonymous.   

I think, at least, the submitted entries should remain anonymous on the playlist. 

I'm _not_ talking about anyone or any situation that has happened in the past or any situation I have been involved in but I am saying that it would stop tit-for-tat voting or people voting, or not voting, for people they like / not like regardless of whether or not the track was any good. 

That's a good idea
    just number the SoundCloud playlist and vote for the number you like

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2212
    edited October 2016
    Cabicular said:

That's a good idea

Yes that's quite a good idea. Perhaps guessing who's submitted what would add to the fun.
    It's not a competition.
  • Cabicular said:

That's a good idea

Yes that's quite a good idea. Perhaps guessing who's submitted what would add to the fun.

yes!! 
  • Cabicular said:

That's a good idea

yes!! 
    I don't know about this. I've never noticed anything like tit-for-tat or favouritism, it's all pretty good natured. I quite like knowing who has submitted something and getting a feel of someone's style or even progress. After all, it's not a 'competition', it's a 'challenge'. Anonymous entries would detract from the communal aspect of these challenges, I feel.

Having said that, there is the option of submitting your entry anonymously if you so wish (I remember at least one anonymous riff entry in the past). I just can't believe the forum is so factionalised as to make anonymity the norm.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    That's a good idea - anon if you wish but otherwise, just as it has been - I think it has been quite fair in the past and people vote for what they like rather than who they know. It's good that we can say it's not factionalised on this forum :)
    Anon may get some people to submit that would not normally tho?

• Cabicular said:

That's a good idea

yes!! 
    I don't know about this. I've never noticed anything like tit-for-tat or favouritism, it's all pretty good natured. I quite like knowing who has submitted something and getting a feel of someone's style or even progress. After all, it's not a 'competition', it's a 'challenge'. Anonymous entries would detract from the communal aspect of these challenges, I feel.

Having said that, there is the option of submitting your entry anonymously if you so wish (I remember at least one anonymous riff entry in the past). I just can't believe the forum is so factionalised as to make anonymity the norm.
    On reflection I think you're right, although it would make me feel less guilty about not voting for someone that's voted for me.
    It's not a competition.
    I don't really mind either way, it's never occured to me that favouritism/ tit for tat voting would exist in the challenges.
    There have been times when theres only been three of us in some of the comps, makes tactical voting a little difficult lol
  • kin said:
    I don't really mind either way, it's never occured to me that favouritism/ tit for tat voting would exist in the challenges.
    There have been times when theres only been three of us in some of the comps, makes tactical voting a little difficult lol
    When more people take place some patterns emerge.  
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I'm with @steamabacus. ;I feel that the whole thing is good natured and honest too.  I appreciate the honest feedback I get and certainly have never felt that there is any tactical voting.