THR Users, share some experiences and settings?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited August 2013
    Valid point, to a degree @bertie. But, I fancy a spot of recording and the pod gives me a few more options. Also the THR could be a perfect desktop FRFR speaker system. And... I can use the Pod into my HrD too, if I want.

Just curious, really, since some other have suggested it.

Plus, with neighbours, kids, wife etc - the THR gives me great sounds at low volume. What what be the problem with me buying a decent multi-fx to use with it? Why would I have to buy a "more appropriate amp"? At the moment, the THR is my appropriate amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5535
    I love my THR10. But it doesn't do everything.
    I put my Valvesporker in the front of it the other week and it sounded fantastic! A warmer drive than the amp gave, plus I could squeal and squawk to my heart's content via the VS's knobs.

I used to have a Line 6 Flextone amp and it had almost everything I could need on it. The THR doesn't. But as a living room amp it's ace.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    A Mate runs his Vox Tonelab via his THR10C and the results are astonishing. We have both tried various ways of doing things, but thus far we both keep coming back to the "Flat" Setting as being the best when using anything remotely clever.
    As I said earlier, I used a Digitech Red Special Pedal and a Graphic with great success. I did try it with the Crunch setting, but much preferred the Flat. I am NOT saying this is "the" way to go, but it seems to work for me thus far.
  • I bought one sold it, missed it, so bought another one and love it as just a simple plug it in and play amp. I run my laptop though it which is great but gave up with the editing software and recording programme. As a table top amp it is great, probably could have got away with th thr5 as I don't use the presets... I also use it a lot with my boss looper to learn and practice new band tunes..
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2930
    I think Im convinced.  Pity the 5 doesn't do flat response as its would probably be enough for my needs.  Shops here I come.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Here's my 'jazz' woody preset using the bass amp. Give it a go.
    Gain - 6
    Master - 9
    Bass - 4
    Middle - 6
    Treble - 2
    Compressor at treshold -40, attack 6.5, release 6.5, 1:1 ratio, knee - medium, output - 4db
    Chorus at speed 4.3, depth 2.4, mix 6.9
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7507
    There is a website that I linked to on the old forum where you can share and download presets - I uploaded one (a clean funk setting). Now that more of us own them it is probably worth re-linking that (I'm on my phone now so loathe to go Googling but will try in the week)

I still love my 10C - I have 5 different sounds on the 5 presets and often fiddle about finding others . I should save more of those to the software.
    On the 10C the Trem and Delay effects are brilliant, easily a match for any good analogue pedal
    Red ones are better. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I agree that the trem is great, as are the reverbs but, without editing via the software, I find the tape delay too dark with few audible repeats. It's just about the only thing on the amp that I don't like.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Can't remember if this is the one TimmyO?

Or maybe it were this un?
  • I love my THR10C. I went into the store thinking I'd get the THR10 for more general recording, but found that the THR10C gave me all the sounds I was after. What someone else iterated about the 10 just sounding great regardless of what you set it up as, I personally found I did NOT get that with the 10 at all, but the 10C was just 'yes, that's right... that's right too... that's also right... perfect - I'll take it!'

For those that are interested in a recording of a THR10C, I threw together a basic recording demo here. There's 3 backing guitar tracks there (clean, crunch, delayed), hard panned too, mainly there just to support a fun lead over the top and a basic drum beat.

This literally only took 30 minutes to do the whole thing. Simply amazing how quick and easy it makes recording ideas.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7507
    http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=THR10C

This was the site. Each model of THR has its own section (the firmware is different so 10C patches not interchangeable with 10)
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4149
    edited September 2022

I picked up a THR10ii this week, the form factor’s great, BUT…

- the crunchy and hi-gain sounds are pretty shite out-of-the-box*, it’s taking a lot of dialling in and fiddling on the amp with diff. cabs etc. to get anything usable - it’s very fizzy!

- the app’s a bit clunky, but otherwise seems to do the job. It's bloody slow to 'scroll' through presets to demo them as a starting point!

- audio playback over bluetooth is decent, and having the audio and guitar level controls to-hand is brilliantly useful.

- the 'classic clean' model is lush, more dynamic than it suggests too.

My main aim is to get five usable tones dialled into the presets, then leave it at that basically! I only really use a few tones anyway, barring pedals, so that should be achievable once I learn the various amp models etc.

I must say though, based on initial impressions, had I tried one of the THRs in a shop prior to purchase I would not have bought it. The Vox Adio had far better gain-ier sounds in person.

* I’m tempted tot try a factory reset tomorrow, as I’m not convinced this one’s setup ‘correctly’. It needs a firmware update anyway, apparently.

Query to other THRv2 users - what are your go-to settings/patches?
  • Day 3 update:

The Good news,
    I found some decent hi-gain tones! Namely:
    • General hard rock/metal tone:  Classic (red), Hi-Gain (Dual-Recto), Gain ~5, Master 9, T~8, M5, B5
    • Heavier/OTT gain:  Boutique (blue), Special (Krank Rev.?), Gain 4.5, Master 10, T7, M3.5, B4
    • With the above two, and minor adjustments on the Gain knob, I've been able to cover 99% of the rock and metal stuff that I play. It sits well in a mix when streaming audio through the THR too, which is a bloody handy feature that I've never had the option of before
    The Bad news:
    • I'm not enjoying having to delve into the app to alternate between Classic/Modern/Boutique banks of models, the THR30ii model would avoid this.
    • Similarly, the app is crucial for any editing of the effects, noise gate, compressor etc. I knew this prior to buying, but figured I could set-and-forget like I usually do with multi-fx units and similar!
    All in all, I'm not convinced it's the amp for my needs. There's some good cleaner tones in there that are easy to reach, and the format really is excellent. I particularly like having the separate (and analog!) levels for Guitar and Audio outs to hand for practice with backing tracks/music etc. That said, I've got the luxury of choice here so I'm going to move this one along and revert to something a little more traditional as I'm stubborn and set in my ways :mrgreen: 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited September 2022

The Bad news:
    • I'm not enjoying having to delve into the app to alternate between Classic/Modern/Boutique banks of models, the THR30ii model would avoid this.
    • Similarly, the app is crucial for any editing of the effects, noise gate, compressor etc. I knew this prior to buying, but figured I could set-and-forget like I usually do with multi-fx units and similar!

you could with the earlier versions,  edit what you want in the THR editor (windows)  and save it to a bank (admittedly you're limited to 5 on the THR)  or to a file on a PC/laptop-  it doesnt set the global "settings" for the effect  -  perhaps you might be better of with the old THR10X to get the higher gain you're looking for
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4149
    edited September 2022
    @bertie - apologies, I didn't mean to suggest that you can't do that on the newer ones too. I've setup five presets, though already I'm only really using two or three!

I think the v2 amps merge the models from the three THR v1 variants, albeit with some tweaking perhaps. The THR10X was on my list, but I (rightly so) liked the look of the bluetooth audio streaming, and there didn't seem to be much of a cost benefit in going for the older model.
    @guitargeek62 ;
     you bloody Cornickles,  dont bleddy speak proper 

=)
  • Of course not, how else would you know we're Cornish?!
    Of course not, how else would you know we're Cornish?!
    politeness prevents me 

;) 

=)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom