Hip replacement...

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
Not for me, but me old dad. 

I feel for him, he's 65, still working full time in retail, not in a fantastic position to retire yet as far as I know either... 

He's been having hip pains for a few months, so had a few assessments, physio etc but today was told at the follow up he will need not one but both hips replaced.. 

I get a bit worried about these things, you know, Kind of worry he won't be the same with regards to mobility etc.. 

He said he's more concerned about the period of being on crutches afterwards, and being on a lower sick pay wage.. but hey, nowt can be done about that!

I was hitting the job trail hard lately, as my hours are now down to 12 a week, but I reckon i'll put it on hold til he's back on his feet and can manage. Use the free time to help him out about the place! 

But I havnt looked into it all fully, apart from what he briefly told me earlier about the operation and recovery period. 

He came home with a bag full of leaflets and advice they'd given him to read lol! I'll have a dig through it tomorrow. 

They want to do his left within the next 18 weeks, then once thats fully healed get him straight in to do the right. 

Anyone with experiences? I'm imagining this as a year out kinda deal, what with the double whammy one after the other.. 

I'm also anxious about him having the first one done and getting so fed up he says fuck it to the second one! 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Hi Skunk, I'm going in Tuesday to have my right hip replaced. I've been told recovery will be 4/6 weeks, although all my work is done on a computer so I'm hoping to work from home after 2/3 weeks. I'm 62 so not far off your old fella's age. When I had the x ray they were surprised I was getting no pain from the left hip as that looked worse. So I guess I'll have that to look forward to in the not too distant future.  I'll keep you posted as to recovery time etc.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Both my Old's had their's done years ago. My mother who's 71, is having a previous replacement replaced next month. Local anaesthetic too (awake but numb from the chest down). No problems anticipated apparently. Medicine/surgery these days! 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Good luck for Tuesday @Rickyd, hope it all goes well for you. 

Cheers, that would be good. Hoping its a speedy recovery for ya! Out of curiosity are you having a general or local anaestethic?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    A cricket mate of mine, ex pro, has just had his done. 6 weeks later, playing golf. It's an easy op these days.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Skunk, I shall be having a general. When I asked in an earlier post @hootsmon very kindly took the time to take me through his experience. He had a local but after thinking it through I think I'd rather be away with the fairies while they pull me about. As James has commented above, its meant to be an easy op these days.
  • My dad had his done a few years ago under local, all went fine.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    My Dad had both hips done.
    His advice to a friend of his who also had his hips done was to lose some weight and don't ignore post operative rehab and exercise.
    Dad had a full recovery and is fitter than ever.
    His friend is struggling daily with it because he didn't do this.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    My understanding is that the recovery periods are much quicker than previously, and that part of this is because people are encouraged to get back on their feet as quickly as possible. As @octatonic has mentioned, the post operative rehab and exercise are vital.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    My dad had his done a few years ago under local, all went fine.
    Wha?????? they do hips under local????? that is .... unreal ..... a bit scary
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My father in law had his done and was up and about within days and back on the golf course shortly afterwards. He did though do a load of serious physio BEFORE the op to put himself in the best shape to recover quickly.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    skunkwerx said:

Anyone with experiences? I'm imagining this as a year out kinda deal, what with the double whammy one after the other..
    Just a note of reassurance:  if the orthopods have established that now is a good time for total hip replacement then your dad will be fine -- he'll be great.  The double whammy should not be a problem either.  Good surgery and a positive attitude is the key to a successful recovery.  And really engaging with the physio. 
    When I was an orthopaedic physio I rehab'd thousands of THRs, and while nobody looks forward to a major operation THR is a really good one in terms of outcome and massive improvement in quality of life. 
    Recovery times vary and you can't hurry nature but all other things being equal I think allowing 12 weeks covers most bases but tbh many, many patients are doing great at six weeks. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited March 2017

Rickyd said:
    Thanks Skunk, I shall be having a general. When I asked in an earlier post @hootsmon very kindly took the time to take me through his experience. He had a local but after thinking it through I think I'd rather be away with the fairies while they pull me about. As James has commented above, its meant to be an easy op these days.

When is yours Ricky?
    tae be or not tae be
  • I worked in major trauma for a while, followed by a lot of ortho.

It's a common operation, and rarely do things go wrong during *that* bit. The single most important part is physio - it'll be sore, but he'll need to do the physio. 

Grunfeld said:
    skunkwerx said:

Just a note of reassurance:  if the orthopods have established that now is a good time for total hip replacement then your dad will be fine -- he'll be great.  The double whammy should not be a problem either.  Good surgery and a positive attitude is the key to a successful recovery.  And really engaging with the physio. 
    When I was an orthopaedic physio I rehab'd thousands of THRs, and while nobody looks forward to a major operation THR is a really good one in terms of outcome and massive improvement in quality of life. 
    Recovery times vary and you can't hurry nature but all other things being equal I think allowing 12 weeks covers most bases but tbh many, many patients are doing great at six weeks. 

Basically, all of this.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My mum had hers done about ten years ago, she wished she'd done it sooner. Was under local anaesthetic and sedation. She had a more modern kind of hip replacement which is meant to last longer
    My V key is broken
    Cheers all this is great reassurance. 

I reckon he'll be fine then, as theres not much of him and he's usually on his feet and about for work and travel everyday.

i'll reiterate to him how vital the physio is, though he wouldnt dick about with it I'm sure! 

I've had a few surgeries before, nothing major, but hell, the gas and meds before really help chill me out, to the point of actually feeling I'd rather be no place else!! But just having a local and being 'awake' during anything scares the beejesus out of me!!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703

My Mother-In-Law has had both done in the last couple of years.  She's back to full fitness and has been travelling around South America recently, something she thought would be impossible before the op.  
    hootsmon said:

Rickyd said:

When is yours Ricky?

Tuesday hoots, fingers crossed.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Best of luck Ricky....if you have any post op concerns or need a chat give us a PM
    tae be or not tae be
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's amazing something like that is so routine these days
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    It's amazing something like that is so routine these days
    Aint it just!