Are my tyres illegal ?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I had a BMW 318 co car twenty years ago or so - it consumed tyres at an astonishing rate - once on a German autobahn I'd been cruising a 85-90mph for an hour or so, stopped for a pee break and the tyres were smoking !   Lease company were always getting sniffy with me. It was a very strange car - main bearings needed replacing after 70k miles (oddly lease co told me to get a replacement asap ;) ).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just checked - they were the original tyres from the factory.  The 49,000 miles isn't so bonkers when you consider that it's rear wheel drive.

If you'd managed 25k I'd have said you'd done well. On a 116d being rear drive really isn't going to make much difference to tyre wear, what's it got? 115hp?
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    edited March 2017
    Deleted. the forum seems fucky today.
    edited March 2017

Garthy said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just checked - they were the original tyres from the factory.  The 49,000 miles isn't so bonkers when you consider that it's rear wheel drive.

If you'd managed 25k I'd have said you'd done well. On a 116d being rear drive really isn't going to make much difference to tyre wear, what's it got? 115hp?
    Yes, but these are his front tyres. So them not being driven makes a big difference. my MR2 would eat rears twice as fast as fronts. Not had my current car long enough to see how much quicker it'll use rears, but I suspect it'll be quite a bit
    Went to local Vauxhall dealership at the weekend to get a free factory recall done on my Zafira. They did the job (and a load of other stuff I didn't ask for that took ages) but mentioned that one of my spring coils was buggered. They said that they would fix it there for me for £290. I said, "Whooooooaaaaa!!!". They said, "We can't really let you leave like that." I said, "I think I will anyway." I left.

Today I went to the guys at a place near my work (Hi-Q Burgess Hill) and asked them to do the job. They said, "That will be £96". I said, "Cool. OK.". Went to pick it up and they said, "Was quicker than expected so that will be £66." I paid £66.

People who get repairs done at branded. approved garages are mugs. MUGS.
    I'm not sure someone that bought a self immolating Vauxhall is in a position to be calling anyone else a mug?  :p
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    doogz84 said:
    Went to local Vauxhall dealership at the weekend to get a free factory recall done on my Zafira. They did the job (and a load of other stuff I didn't ask for that took ages) but mentioned that one of my spring coils was buggered. They said that they would fix it there for me for £290. I said, "Whooooooaaaaa!!!". They said, "We can't really let you leave like that." I said, "I think I will anyway." I left.

Today I went to the guys at a place near my work (Hi-Q Burgess Hill) and asked them to do the job. They said, "That will be £96". I said, "Cool. OK.". Went to pick it up and they said, "Was quicker than expected so that will be £66." I paid £66.

I'm not sure someone that bought a self immolating Vauxhall is in a position to be calling anyone else a mug?  :p

Now I'm going to spend my spare £224 on getting a bunch of homeless people to poo on your car.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15506
    doogz84 said:

Now I'm going to spend my spare £224 on getting a bunch of homeless people to poo on your car.

you need to be careful about that. I hear there's a bunch of people going around Brighton offering to crap on people's cars, but they're not actually homeless, they get bussed in each morning to work the town. I'd hate for you to be duped.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24343
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    So actually the opposite of what I assumed given it was you - you must have changed your driving style :).

Was most of the 49K on the motorway?
    Cheeky bugger.  What do you mean 'changed my driving style' ?  Just because I clocked up a few speeding tickets doesn't automatically translate to 'powersliding around every corner'.

...and yes - the vast majority of my driving is motorway - probably 90%.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Emp_Fab said:

Cheeky bugger.  What do you mean 'changed my driving style' ?  Just because I clocked up a few speeding tickets doesn't automatically translate to 'powersliding around every corner'.
    Well... not *automatically*, no. But it does indicate a tendency to go a bit fast for the road conditions possibly :).

Emp_Fab said:

...and yes - the vast majority of my driving is motorway - probably 90%.
    That will explain it, especially if you don't do the usual idiot thing of accelerating up to the back of the traffic in front and then constantly touching the brakes. If you're driving at a fairly constant speed and rarely or close to never braking, the tyres are getting almost no wear.

Even so I think the leasing company got more than their money's worth out of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Only looked at the first few posts.

My thoughts are this: if you feel the need to check with a bunch of guitarists, then illegal or not, they're not safe enough to use. Slash them, call your boss and ask him to arrange for kwik fit to come get your car ... and moan about the youth of today while someone fixes them 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You're a bit late to the party hun.  I'm already wearing out the next set.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You are an outrage.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock