Are my tyres illegal ?

What's Hot

Comments

• I am so glad that this thread was not titled "Barely Legal and Bald".
    FTFY
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Kwik-Fit use a computer system called 1-Link to speak to leasing companies.

For tyres, they have to provide the vehicle mileage, the tyre's DOT codes, and a general condition report.

For tracking, they first need to check alignment, and then report the results. From experience, the leasing company won't authorise wheel alignment unless one side is out by at least 4 degrees.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5641
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes, it is a BMW.  A 116d to be precise.  I know not of this DLAT mode you speak of.  I don't think I have any button that I don't already know the function of though.  Certainly nothing unmarked.  What is it supposed to do and when am I supposed to use it / not use it ?  I've googled and found nothing for DLAT.
    Drive Like A Tit

BMWs come with it engaged as standard… along with the non-functioning indicators and mirrors.

Surprised you didn't work that out yourself!

:)

When I got my BWM I thought I was going to cause a rift in the space-time continuum.  I didn't stop using my mirrors or indicators, I even let people out of junctions and kept to the speed limits.

Reminds me of a great tune by Paul Gilbert though:

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    uncledick said:
    They'd pass an mot although you'd probably get an advise.  
    Depends the one with the wee cracks is because it's as close as a bawhair to the chord so they could maybe fail that one.  Other is still legal but guess not far behind :)
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    as @gubble said. If it's both sides it's under inflation.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    What was the outcome at Kwikfit?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24342
    edited March 2017
    Well, Ms Quick-e-Fit said the NSF is stuffed and the cord is about to show but the OSF is fine.  The bald edge is apparently ok.  The leasing company initially agreed to have the worst one replaced.  I'm wasn't happy about driving a car with three hardly worn tyres (both rears were done a couple of months ago) and one that is 80% buggered - AND a different brand, so I asked her to give the leasing company some shit, and she did... and ten minutes later, they agree to replace both front tyres.

I would call them cheapskates were it not for the fact that they've put GoodYear on.  They could have insisted on the cheapest crap possible.

What a difference...  the twitchy front end has gone, I don't have to constantly make micro-corrections on the motorway, it's a different car.  I didn't have time for them to check the alignment today, but I'll take it in next week.

All's well that ends well.

p.s. - it's not an incorrect pressure problem.  The car won't let me have any tyre more than a couple of PSI out without nagging the arse off me until I can't take it anymore (which is usually about thirty seconds !) and sort it out.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Haych said:
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes, it is a BMW.  A 116d to be precise.  I know not of this DLAT mode you speak of.  I don't think I have any button that I don't already know the function of though.  Certainly nothing unmarked.  What is it supposed to do and when am I supposed to use it / not use it ?  I've googled and found nothing for DLAT.
    Drive Like A Tit

BMWs come with it engaged as standard… along with the non-functioning indicators and mirrors.

Surprised you didn't work that out yourself!

When I got my BWM I thought I was going to cause a rift in the space-time continuum.  I didn't stop using my mirrors or indicators, I even let people out of junctions and kept to the speed limits.

Reminds me of a great tune by Paul Gilbert though:

God that boy can play. Not a bad tone either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, Ms Quick-e-Fit said the NSF is stuffed and the cord is about to show but the OSF is fine.  The bald edge is apparently ok.  The leasing company initially agreed to have the worst one replaced.  I'm wasn't happy about driving a car with three hardly worn tyres (both rears were done a couple of months ago) and one that is 80% buggered - AND a different brand, so I asked her to give the leasing company some shit, and she did... and ten minutes later, they agree to replace both front tyres.
    Excellent. If you've ever seen film of cars under heavy braking with mismatched tyres you'll know why the leasing company would have been total dicks not to do that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Excellent. If you've ever seen film of cars under heavy braking with mismatched tyres you'll know why the leasing company would have been total dicks not to do that...
    I've *always* replaced a pair at a time.

Generally that's fine, because they tend to wear equally.  But on the few occasions that I've had an unrepairable puncture, I've still replaced the other (good) tyre too.  £150s worth of rubber is all that's keeping me on the road, and £150 every 20k miles is pennies compared to the other running costs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

I've *always* replaced a pair at a time.

Generally that's fine, because they tend to wear equally.  But on the few occasions that I've had an unrepairable puncture, I've still replaced the other (good) tyre too.  £150s worth of rubber is all that's keeping me on the road, and £150 every 20k miles is pennies compared to the other running costs.
    It's certainly trivial compared to the likely cost of losing control in an emergency.

I haven't always replaced tyres in pairs, but I do make sure I have pairs of the same brand and with similar wear on the same axle. I usually try to get a proper spare wheel (as well as the low-profile thing they give you in most modern cars) so it makes it easier to swap them round and keep matching pairs if I've needed to actually replace only one.

It worries me how much some people skimp on tyres - especially if they're driving the car behind you in the wet...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited March 2017
    The way I see it, I do a maximum of 50mph and always check everything is safe on the Transit tipper, HGV's and trucks have to check their vehicles daily and are personally responsible for fines and liability from any defects. 

Yet all these numpties in their shiny mobile armchairs cutting everyone up, overtaking you when you've pulled over for an ambulance, roaring past you at 95mph and constantly moaning that it's everyone else's fault on the roads because they are perfect drivers, condemning anyone who hurts or kills someone on the road or any van, HGV or truck driver because obviously they don't know how to drive because they are so perfect, mostly all don't even check their tyres. 

It really pisses me off to be frank.  VOSA and the police should clamp down more on it.  Third offence and then they swing you from the gallows, no if's but's or maybe's.  Death.

I don't worry about the car behind me unless they are overtaking, hitting the tipper tray would be their instant death, it's their problem for not checking their tyres.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5641

God that boy can play. Not a bad tone either. 
    Yeah Pablo is a bit of a shred-meister. Think he was playing a Marshall 2061x with a TC MojoMojo up front, which is remarkable because I can't get a damn decent tone out of my MojoMojo!

Sorry for hijaking your thread @Emp_Fab

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Went to local Vauxhall dealership at the weekend to get a free factory recall done on my Zafira. They did the job (and a load of other stuff I didn't ask for that took ages) but mentioned that one of my spring coils was buggered. They said that they would fix it there for me for £290. I said, "Whooooooaaaaa!!!". They said, "We can't really let you leave like that." I said, "I think I will anyway." I left.

Today I went to the guys at a place near my work (Hi-Q Burgess Hill) and asked them to do the job. They said, "That will be £96". I said, "Cool. OK.". Went to pick it up and they said, "Was quicker than expected so that will be £66." I paid £66.

People who get repairs done at branded. approved garages are mugs. MUGS.
    Went to local Vauxhall dealership at the weekend to get a free factory recall done on my Zafira. They did the job (and a load of other stuff I didn't ask for that took ages) but mentioned that one of my spring coils was buggered. They said that they would fix it there for me for £290. I said, "Whooooooaaaaa!!!". They said, "We can't really let you leave like that." I said, "I think I will anyway." I left.
    That seems to be totally standard. Evans Halshaw tried to scam me like that on a repair - which unfortunately was a main-dealer-only job, or I would never have gone there in the first place - they gave it a "free safely check" which wasted a couple of hours, and told me there was over £400 of work needed... when I'd had the car MOT'd literally a week earlier. Even if I hadn't I would never have let them do anything to it.

Like any scam, they only have to get a small proportion of people who don't know better to fall for it and they're laughing.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24342
    I've just checked - they were the original tyres from the factory.  The 49,000 miles isn't so bonkers when you consider that it's rear wheel drive.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    That's good most expensive modern tyres on Sportvans and the like only last 10k, the more expensive they are, the softer they seem to be.  Being a total hypocrite I get the cheapest generic tyres I can afford and they last forever as the rubber is like glass.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just checked - they were the original tyres from the factory.  The 49,000 miles isn't so bonkers when you consider that it's rear wheel drive.
    No seriously that is bonkers even on a RWD 1.6 diesel.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Emp_Fab said:
    So actually the opposite of what I assumed given it was you - you must have changed your driving style :).

Was most of the 49K on the motorway?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Emp_Fab said:
    They had 49,000 miles on and the leasing company was quibbling about changing one of them?????