Gordon Smith and Richard's Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    @impmann / @Iamnobody - looked into his account, doesn't seem to be Richard. Besides, Richard has never tried to hide his identity, he's not that kind of guy from the communication I've had with him.
    Fair play. :-)

As you were...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xsmartyxsmarty Frets: 75
    impmann said:
    Iamnobody said:
    smarty said:
    underdog said:
    He's a mentalist let's be honest :D
    Harsh! I've always found him to a decent chap to be perfectly honest. I appreciate his rants can come across as OTT but that's passion for you! I wish more retailers had that amount of passion for what they did.......
    Good of you to sign up at 5am and use your first post to defend Richard.

Passion eh? Uncanny that's almost like something Richard himself would say...

Anyway welcome to the forum Smarty. Next time I'm in Stratford I'll pop into the shop and say hello.

Busted!
    What lovely chaps. And what lovely welcome to a new member. Well done.

For the record, I'm not Richard! Have never met him, never been to his shop, and never bought anything from him for that matter. I live in Lichfield and am a Civil Servant who works shifts (hence the early start). 

Are all all you guys on this forum this paranoid/deluded? 

Just off to cancel my membership. Thanks! 

Well done again. Dickheads.
    16reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    smarty said:
    impmann said:
    Iamnobody said:
    smarty said:
    underdog said:
    Harsh! I've always found him to a decent chap to be perfectly honest. I appreciate his rants can come across as OTT but that's passion for you! I wish more retailers had that amount of passion for what they did.......

Anyway welcome to the forum Smarty. Next time I'm in Stratford I'll pop into the shop and say hello.

Busted!

For the record, I'm not Richard! Have never met him, never been to his shop, and never bought anything from him for that matter. I live in Lichfield and am a Civil Servant who works shifts (hence the early start). 

so which is it ?
     if you have never met him, never been in his shop, and never bought anything off him hwo have you found him a decent chap? 

forgive me if i am out of order but thats pretty confilcting 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5189
    I wouldn't be surprised if that had happened. After all, the reason he was banned is not for deleting his content (as he said in the post I removed earlier), but rather because he threatened the forum with legal action in order to get negative comments removed from public view (as a rule of thumb, anybody who presents a threat to the ongoing existence of the forum doesn't get to continue using it).

For a bit of balance, I feel I should also add that after many emails back and forth, I finally got tired of the threats/bluster and called him - and he came across as a lot more reasonable and everything was resolved in fairly short order. I suspect that the main problem is he doesn't communicate well via text-based channels; understandable, not everybody does. On that basis, my advice for anybody who does business with him is to get him on the phone - things will (probably) go a lot smoother and everyone's blood pressure will remain at healthy levels.

This has been my experience. I was a member of his forum for years and saw him regularly get drawn in to the sort of arguments he's had here, then after he calmed down he'd delete posts where he'd lost his shit, or where someone else had criticised him. As a forum moderator he made more work for himself than anyone else did, but it was always someone else's fault.

He was my local guitar shop for a while (we've both relocated since then), so I'd visited his shop on several occasions, and in person he's quite different, and the defence of being "passionate" about the guitars he sells made more sense. I've never actually bought from him, but I found him to be honest to a fault, knowledgeable and accommodating and I wouldn't have hesitated to if I could have tried the guitar in the shop and dealt face-to-face for any aftersales support. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26922
    smarty said:
    impmann said:
    Iamnobody said:
    smarty said:
    underdog said:

Busted!

Hold on a mo...to be fair, there's a fair amount of precedent on this forum (albeit not with Richard) which really does justify that paranoia.

Hang around for a while. See what you can see, then...if you really really want us to nuke your account, just let me know.
    <space for hire>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've met him, been to his shop (the one in Stratford and the precious one in Leamington). Always had great service from him and a nice chat. 

He does unfortunately seem to cause conflict when dealing with issues via e-mail/messages, which really is a shame for him and the reputation he has. 
    To be honest, my very first experience with the forum has been a negative one from two other members. Not a great start is it really? As a new member, how the hell am I supposed to know what has and hasn't gone before me? 

I appreciate that you're (hopefully) not all as paranoid and unfriendly as I have experienced but ....well the internet isn't exactly running low on guitar forums is it..!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27402
    I usually refrain from commenting on these threads... I've known Richard online for a very long time and he is a lovely guy, but he has a hard time dealing with online comments and anything that could be interpreted as criticism. 

I can absolutely believe that Rich believes his own account of the story, but that doesn't excuse telling a customer they've broken the thing and keeping a chunk of their money. I wonder if a phone call or two at the start of all this would've solved it.

As for the passion thing, am I the only person who doesn't care about passion in a guitar dealer? In the days of superstores and online demos I want meticulous attention to detail when it comes to descriptions and specs, honesty and transparency with shipping times and costs, and a decent return policy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

smarty said:
    impmann said:
    Iamnobody said:
    smarty said:
    underdog said:

Busted!

so which is it ?
     if you have never met him, never been in his shop, and never bought anything off him hwo have you found him a decent chap? 

Jesus - what is this? 

I post on Richards forum as "martinjamesdaley". Look me up. I've had disagreements with Richard - again look it up. I've "known" Richard from the forum only - for a few years ....that's how I "know" him. 

Is this some some sort of test I have to pass to prove who I am? Could this get any more hostile or ridiculous?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26922
    smarty said:
    To be honest, my very first experience with the forum has been a negative one from two other members. Not a great start is it really? As a new member, how the hell am I supposed to know what has and hasn't gone before me? 

I appreciate that you're (hopefully) not all as paranoid and unfriendly as I have experienced but ....well the internet isn't exactly running low on guitar forums is it..!

To be fair, your first contribution on the forum is in a thread with controversy...wherever you go, that's not going to be an immediate smooth ride.

Seriously, chill a bit. We've established that you're not a sock account, so it's all good. The offer still stands, mind.
    <space for hire>
    smarty said:

To be fair, your first contribution on the forum is in a thread with controversy...wherever you go, that's not going to be an immediate smooth ride.

Seriously, chill a bit. We've established that you're not a sock account, so it's all good. The offer still stands, mind.
    Oh that's ok then - I've passed your test!!! I'm so happy. Sure you don't want me to send you a copy of my passport? Some of you guys have serious issues man....

please - whoever is responsible for account creation/deletion - delelte my account!!! 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    @smarty - there have been quite a number of banned people who create new accounts.  From reading earlier in the thread Richard's Guitars has been guilty of it as well.

If you want to see why people are so "paranoid" then read the JCollingridge thread in off topic.  The good side of that is that I would feel a lot more comfortable selling gear here than selling on Ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    smarty said:

smarty said:
    impmann said:
    Iamnobody said:
    smarty said:
    underdog said:

Busted!

so which is it ?

Jesus - what is this? 

I post on Richards forum as "martinjamesdaley". Look me up. I've had disagreements with Richard - again look it up. I've "known" Richard from the forum only - for a few years ....that's how I "know" him. 

Is this some some sort of test I have to pass to prove who I am? Could this get any more hostile or ridiculous?
    no test required, you will probably find most people on here are farly decent folks, but you did come into a fairly hostile thread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    smarty said:

Jesus - what is this? 

I think the problem is that you've chosen a rather emotive thread to post your first words on the forum.

If you'd have started a 'I'm new and I'm looking for a new guitar' type thread then you would have got plenty of fairly innocuous replies. 

In fact, if you'd have posted a "Does Terry Morgan use a Vintage J20 when he's taking off from a conveyor belt on a flat earth to bomb chavs" thread you'd probably have got a less reactionary response..

We aren't generally paranoid, but some guys have been scammed here from 'members' before now and it's a pretty tight knit community where a lot of folks know each other IRL..

That's not to say it's cliquey tho - jump in and get stuck in - you'll find you're accepted pretty quickly as long as you aren't a dentist with a PRS
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    @smarty - there have been quite a number of banned people who create new accounts.  From reading earlier in the thread Richard's Guitars has been guilty of it as well.

If you want to see why people are so "paranoid" then read the JCollingridge thread in off topic.  The good side of that is that I would feel a lot more comfortable selling gear here than selling on Ebay.
    Oh come on - don't try to justify it! So if someone new posts a sentiment that isn't "richard is a mentalist" - it's probably a bogus account? Can you not understand how crazy this is? 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33868
    smarty said:
    smarty said:

Oh that's ok then - I've passed your test!!! I'm so happy. Sure you don't want me to send you a copy of my passport? Some of you guys have serious issues man....

please - whoever is responsible for account creation/deletion - delelte my account!!! 
    You seem like our kind of misanthrope- are you sure you don't want to hang about?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31020
    edited May 2017
    smarty said:

Is this some some sort of test I have to pass to prove who I am?

Excuse me, can I borrow a match?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    This thread is flipping awesome!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Gassage said:
    smarty said:

Is this some some sort of test I have to pass to prove who I am?

Excuse me, can I borrow a match?

I use a pre-CBS lighter
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    smarty said:

Jesus - what is this? 

I think the problem is that you've chosen a rather emotive thread to post your first words on the forum.

If you'd have started a 'I'm new and I'm looking for a new guitar' type thread then you would have got plenty of fairly innocuous replies. 

In fact, if you'd have posted a "Does Terry Morgan use a Vintage J20 when he's taking off from a conveyor belt on a flat earth to bomb chavs" thread you'd probably have got a less reactionary response..

We aren't generally paranoid, but some guys have been scammed here from 'members' before now and it's a pretty tight knit community where a lot of folks know each other IRL..

That's not to say it's cliquey tho - jump in and get stuck in - you'll find you're accepted pretty quickly as long as you aren't a dentist with a PRS
    No dentist with a PRS, but a Civil Servant with a Tom Anderson (probably just as bad)! 

Nah - I'm done here, thanks anyway. I don't have time for this sort of site. I just wanna post here and there - not be called out for being an imposter. 

I cant see how I cancel my account? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.