PC has died.

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
I had it running yesterday, playing Spotify. All of a sudden i noticed the screen jumbled up, and the music started being garbled. Shut it down, restarted, and although I think I can hear the hard drive running, there's nothing on the screen, and it now beeps at me from inside the tower unit.

Anyone got any ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    OK, the poxy thing has just restarted. Dunno what that was all about.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    My Dell sometimes does this .. open the case and make sure the memory is seated properly ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4055
    edited July 2017
    ...and the music started being garbled....  it now beeps at me from inside the tower unit.

Anyone got any ideas?
    You were playing Skrillex?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    It's probably a good idea to back up your data (if you haven't got one, USB connected hard drives are quite cheap).
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Shouldn't this be in tributes?  :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What do the beeps say?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16033
    edited July 2017

tae be or not tae be
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Give it a good clean inside. I was dubious about what difference it would make until my pc started acting oddly. Worked good as new after a proper clean. Not saying it'll make a difference for you but it costs nothing!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4682
    A soft reboot will not always clear the contents of your memory so if there is some logical corruption the OS Bios can't clear the memory will show as corrupt on soft startup.
    A Switch off, Wait, Switch on may clear an issue. Question is why did the memory get corrupted. 
    Could be a crap piece of software.
    Memory with a defective block
    Memory not seated properly and when it gets hot a connect temporarily breaks.
    A crap component on the motherboard or just too much heat (clear the old Fans of dust)
    Putting a decent small water cooler (£40) in my HTPC has helped massively in regards to stability. I now measure my windows uptime in Months.
  • Steffo said:
    Shouldn't this be in tributes?  :#
    My money was on Phil Collins. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:
    What do the beeps say?
    Now, I was actually asking a proper question... with many motherboards the beep code will tell you what the problem is... 

But this seems to have been overlooked as silly. 

Sometimes I fear my consistent sarcasm has made it hard to explain some things
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14680
    BIOS error code beeps should provide the answer.

Scrambled screen could be graphics card issue. Garbled audio could be sound card issue. On a more modern PC, the graphics and sound chips may be integral to the motherboard. (Difficult to know without being told the machine spec.)

A defective BIOS backup battery would leave the computer unable to retrieve any user settings. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12199
    edited July 2017
    Back up your data, it's like drinking plenty of water, you just should.

As a one off, I'd think not too much of that.  If it keeps happening check and reseat your memory and check the cpu fan isn't loose.

There is quite a good utility called speedfan that lets you check temps and monitor hdd smart health data.  That's quIte useful if looking for a hardware fault.

Also check all your drivers in device manager.  I've fixed a lot of weird issues in windows 10 with readily available drivers from Windows update.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497

It's either a memory fault or video fault and if your machine doesn't have a dedicated video card in the PCIE slot then it's GPU could well "share" some of the system ram . Meaning bad ram or slot corrupting the video and then the beeping 

As recommended above back up everything while the system is running ... although you can always remove a drive from a dead PC and backup it's easier to do it while it works and there's no permissions issues etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Myranda said:
    What do the beeps say?

Beep.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
    Is it saying "I'm the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi, a resident of these parts and it's a private message for him. "
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Thank for the suggestions. It's an old PC I run in my garage specifically so I have the Lotus parts manual and service notes available, plus music from Spotify, I don't use it for anything else.

The only thing I do differently is lay the tower on its side for space reasons, but from my research that shouldn't have any negative effect, so I'm mystified!

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 317
    Sounds as if your harddrive is on its way out. Get everything off it before (or just in case) it packs up.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
    I do wish people would resist the temptation to post daft guesses, however well meaning they are.  The symptoms described point to anything BUT a hard drive failing.  If I asked for help on why my carrots weren't growing well and someone suggested it might be because there wasn't enough bleach in the soil, I'd be pretty pissed off.

If you don't know enough about a subject to give advice then don't.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497

Thank for the suggestions. It's an old PC I run in my garage specifically so I have the Lotus parts manual and service notes available, plus music from Spotify, I don't use it for anything else.

The only thing I do differently is lay the tower on its side for space reasons, but from my research that shouldn't have any negative effect, so I'm mystified!

Laying it on it's side may have slightly moved either a memory module or the video card (if it has a separate video card fitted) 
    If you consider these plastic slots have many tiny contacts which need to mate with the memory module..... and the plastic slots get slightly dis formed over the years due to heat you can see why it happens

If it's a tower unit then laying it on side will mean the motherboard is horizontal to the ground and gravity will help keep things in place .... however laying it on the other side will mean the memory and video card are now upside down and trying to fall out the board. 
    You need to lay it on the side that keeps the monitor connector, network port, mouse, USB ports nearest the floor 
    www.2020studios.co.uk