Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I know Apple Watch is a marmite product but...

What's Hot
...if anyone is after one Nike direct have them on offer.

https://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pw/n/1j7?sl=watch
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    They are probably on sale because there is a new one coming with the next iPhone iteration which is released in September.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    yeah watch 3 is coming out soon.  I have the original and still like it, i nearly bought the 2 because of the inbuilt GPS but glad i held off for the V3.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    50 uid for a rubber strap..... Lo
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    grungebob said:
    yeah watch 3 is coming out soon.  I have the original and still like it, i nearly bought the 2 because of the inbuilt GPS but glad i held off for the V3.
    Same here.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24410
    I'd like one.

But I imagine the prices will drop more when V3 is actually released.

Will V3 have better battery life?
  • I'd like one.

But I imagine the prices will drop more when V3 is actually released.

Will V3 have better battery life?
    S2 won't drop as low as the Nike sale, it will be something like £309 for the 38mm £329 for the 42mm
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7474
    I like my v2 one - I traded up from a v1 (with someone on here actually) - it was the waterproofing I was after but I did end up using the built-in GPS (running without phone) which doesn't sound like it is that much more convenient but it really is
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    I like my v2 one - I traded up from a v1 (with someone on here actually) - it was the waterproofing I was after but I did end up using the built-in GPS (running without phone) which doesn't sound like it is that much more convenient but it really is
    Mine is at home waiting for me, not sure I will see benefit going from the 1 to 2 but at £278 I had to, bonus that the Wife was jealous of my 1 so that goes her way for a bit of tech happiness.
    like I said i've still got a V1 and need to charge everyday-ish.  Im told the V2 can make 2 days between charges?
    reading about V3 they think this may be 3 days?  that makes it worth while upgrade in my book, that and wireless charging so the watch doesnt have to be on a specific part of the charger to function.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    TimmyO said:

grungebob said:
    like I said i've still got a V1 and need to charge everyday-ish.  Im told the V2 can make 2 days between charges?
    reading about V3 they think this may be 3 days?  that makes it worth while upgrade in my book, that and wireless charging so the watch doesnt have to be on a specific part of the charger to function.

Yep, running without your phone is absolute game changer, plus I love having the real-time pace on my wrist. I didn't go for an Apple Watch in the end, and opted for the not-as-good-looking Garmin VivoactiveHR as it's got heart rate tracking and also from the extensive research I did, the GPS accuracy and battery life got bad reviews on a number of places for the Apple Watch. I only have to charge my Vivoactive once every 7-10 days and it takes less than 2 hours for a full charge and the GPS, when stacked up with other actual GPS devices used for exercise is pretty darn good (although admittedly I don't have an Apple Watch for comparison - but the reviews were NOT favourable). Hopefully they've solved those issues with the 3. 3 days per charge is still pretty shite, but I suppose it does a lot more than most activity/sports watches, so that takes more juice. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    They're pretty good offers but it seems they're all sold out. I did toy with the idea of getting one with the view that it might motivate me to get fit, but I'm fed up of being connected to stuff. I'd almost feel 'tagged' wearing one. I just cycle until I get tired instead.
  • joneve said:
    TimmyO said:

grungebob said:

Yep, running without your phone is absolute game changer, plus I love having the real-time pace on my wrist. I didn't go for an Apple Watch in the end, and opted for the not-as-good-looking Garmin VivoactiveHR as it's got heart rate tracking and also from the extensive research I did, the GPS accuracy and battery life got bad reviews on a number of places for the Apple Watch. I only have to charge my Vivoactive once every 7-10 days and it takes less than 2 hours for a full charge and the GPS, when stacked up with other actual GPS devices used for exercise is pretty darn good (although admittedly I don't have an Apple Watch for comparison - but the reviews were NOT favourable). Hopefully they've solved those issues with the 3. 3 days per charge is still pretty shite, but I suppose it does a lot more than most activity/sports watches, so that takes more juice. 
    I'm right there with you. I have had several Garmin watches and they blow not just Apple, but pretty much all the phone specific watches out of the water. I currently have a Forerunner35 but for the price of an Apple watch you could get one of the Garmin Trek / Mountain watches or a very high end Suunto which has a staggering amount of functionality built in plus the ability to download additional apps. I've just never seen the appeal of paying 3 times the price for a watch that does barely half as much just because it's got Apple/Samsung etc written on it. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    joneve said:
    TimmyO said:

grungebob said:

I'm right there with you. I have had several Garmin watches and they blow not just Apple, but pretty much all the phone specific watches out of the water. I currently have a Forerunner35 but for the price of an Apple watch you could get one of the Garmin Trek / Mountain watches or a very high end Suunto which has a staggering amount of functionality built in plus the ability to download additional apps. I've just never seen the appeal of paying 3 times the price for a watch that does barely half as much just because it's got Apple/Samsung etc written on it. 
    As a guy that like gadgets, I can see the appeal of the Apple Watch and the synchronicity between it and my iPhone would be cool, but not something I need, but it IS good looking too.

I am very seriously looking at doing at least one half Ironman distance triathlon next year, with a view to completing a full Ironman sometime by the time I'm 40 (6 and a half years), so I need a watch which is going to aid my training more than anything else, and the Garmin, since getting it in April has been an absolute godsend.

The only reason I'd upgrade would be to get the Forerunner 935, which has Openwater swim tracking (the only thing the Vivoactive doesn't have that I'd like), but it's the wrong side of £300 and close to £400, which I just cannot justify, so for now, the Vivoactive is just fine. Syncs seamlessly with the Garmin Connect app and Strava and is a big part of me being able to smash my 3 hour target at this year's London tri by 9 minutes, I simply wouldn't be without it now. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13945
    has anyone ever put marmite on an apple?

• has anyone ever put marmite on an apple?
    Works surprisingly well. Much like cheese and apple, or stilton and Xmas cake / fruit cake

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Did you know that is is ilegal to access your Apple Watch at the wheel as it is for the phone itself??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    IIRC a strap sold separately rather than included with the watch is classed as an accessory and Apple don't have to pay VAT.  I may be wrong, but that was on one of those patronisingly-delivered reports on a BBC One consumer programme. :0
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    grungebob said:
    reading about V3 they think this may be 3 days?  
    I'll wait for V7 in the hope and expectation that it will last a week.
    edited August 2017
    I get the complaint re price for the Apple watch but it does much more than those other watches mentioned IMO,
    I can track my workouts and heart rate, control my music players ( play music stored on my watch ,iMac or iPhone), take a remote picture on my phone, read my emails or news, pay for items in store without having my phone on me, check the weather , my to do lists and reminders plus calander notifications for work etc and I can look at my favorite pictures of loved ones easily when stressed at work. Can also take and make calls and control my presentations from it should i wish. In strange cities it'll guide me to my meetings without me having to look at the phone or the watch screen due to diffferent taps on the wrist.

charging from empty to full takes 90 mins and a charge lasts me just over a day.
    oh and it reminds me to stand and move about a bit which is nice.
  • I have had no problems with the S1 so the added battery life on the S2 I probably won't notice..

put watch on at 5:30am ish, take it off 10pm ish never less than 50%.. it goes on a nightstand charger as I use it as my bedside clock.