Techs/Luthiers in or around Grimsby?

What's Hot
breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274

Anyone know of anyone reputable local to me who can carry out a fret level on one of my guitars?

I've previously used John Le  Voi in Alford but was looking for someone a bit nearer.Bit of a long shot,I know as there's absolutely no guitar shops around here anymore.

Cheers.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Sorry buddy but if you find someone let me know. All the guys I used to use disappeared after PSS and Tone Zone shut down. 
    Have you asked the chaps running Gallaghers in Freeman st?
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Was also going to suggest asking at Gallaghers, Freeman Street.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274

Tone Zone,that takes me back @grungebob I remember taking my old Charvette there for a set up back in the days when I didn't know how to do it myself.Nice guy.

@Megii I wasn't even aware of Gallaghers until it came up on an internet search I did last week.Is it any good in there?

Well worth a look I'd say - an interesting selection of guitars generally. They don't typically go in for the really high end stuff, but it is well chosen, quality kit, and certainly they're not just box-shifting cheapo/low-end stuff. The gaffer is a nice, friendly, helpful chap too - he did have a unit in Grimsby Marketplace for a while, if you remember that? before moving on to the current proper music shop venture. Anyhow, it's certainly nice to be able to say Grimsby does have a music shop. Worth finding their Facebook page if you're on that - they're pretty good with updates and pics of new stock as it comes in. :)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Yeah Tony was a good guy and a heck of a player. 
    What's the guitar needing a fret level, just out of interest?

Ah yes @Megii I remember the guy off the market.Just thought he'd closed down and disappeared.Glad to see he's still making a go of it and hopefully succeeds.I'll have to pop in and have a look.There used to be so many great shops in Grimsby when I was a teenager.I especially remember going down Abbeygate most weekends and gazing in wonder at the red semi acoustic they had in the window. Forgotten the name of the shop now.

Back on subject the guitar is an Orville Les Paul Custom that's got a couple of slightly low frets around the middle of the board.Not a biggy,but hampering bends around the twelfth fret.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited October 2018
    GY! My home town. I've heard John Le Voi is the man. Shame PSS went. Pete was a nice guy.
    edited October 2018
    Seems there's a few of us Grimsby chaps on here! Just FWIW, for a few years now, I've been doing my own fret levelling work, plus a few jobs for friends - I use the basic approach outlined in this video, although with some additions and improvements. I'm happy enough with the results I get for my own guitars, but with someone else's pride and joy, especially a fairly valuable guitar like the Orville LP, I guess I'd rather not, just in case something went wrong (although it never has) or the recipient just didn't like the results - you generally get a kind of "double-decker bus roof" fret profile, which I prefer anyhow myself, but some would probably want more of a pronounced curve to the fret top. But it is possible to learn things like this anyhow.

I'm pretty handy at most things and have thought about having a go myself.I've got a couple of old,knackered Strat necks that I could practice on,but don't have the tools.

I may just try setting the action a little higher first as it is quite low,and see if that makes much of a difference.

I'm at work at the minute so I'll try when I get up tomorrow afternoon.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited October 2018
    Freemo!

There used to be a guitar shop there years ago as well. Good to see there’s another one.

It’s a shame Pooles closed down years ago as they were a proper music shop not just guitars...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    Andy Farrell at Nottingham is the closest I know - Must be some one in Hull but I don't know who, but worth asking the guys at Antonnes

• Ah yes @Megii I remember the guy off the market.Just thought he'd closed down and disappeared.Glad to see he's still making a go of it and hopefully succeeds.I'll have to pop in and have a look.There used to be so many great shops in Grimsby when I was a teenager.I especially remember going down Abbeygate most weekends and gazing in wonder at the red semi acoustic they had in the window. Forgotten the name of the shop now.
    Iamnobody said:
    Freemo!

There used to be a guitar shop there years ago as well. Good to see there’s another one.
    Abbeygate...that was the fairly shortlived Central Music.

Freemo...that was the tobacco-stained Music Bar. Lusted after a Charvel...had to come home with a Marlin. Fond memories but your brand new Peavey Bandit stunk of smoke for years ;)

While we're in sepia, honourable mentions of course to Pooles, but also Citadel Music on Cleethorpes High Street and someplace down Corporation Road which had something to do with Pete (from PSS).
  • Andy Farrell at Nottingham is the closest I know - Must be some one in Hull but I don't know who, but worth asking the guys at Antonnes
    Not quite as far to Adrian Lucas in Lincoln.

Also, the chaps at Old Hat (Horncastle) may be able to recommend someone.

Ah yes @Megii I remember the guy off the market.Just thought he'd closed down and disappeared.Glad to see he's still making a go of it and hopefully succeeds.I'll have to pop in and have a look.There used to be so many great shops in Grimsby when I was a teenager.I especially remember going down Abbeygate most weekends and gazing in wonder at the red semi acoustic they had in the window. Forgotten the name of the shop now.
    Iamnobody said:
    Freemo!

While we're in sepia, honourable mentions of course to Pooles, but also Citadel Music on Cleethorpes High Street and someplace down Corporation Road which had something to do with Pete (from PSS).
    Ah man, Citadel as well! I spent a bomb in there when I was 13-18 ish. 

I actually ordered my very first Musicman Stingray bass from Citadel as well. Custom order, and the guys at Citadel were fantastic and matched the cheapest price. Shame I sold that bass...
  • I actually ordered my very first Musicman Stingray bass from Citadel as well. Custom order, and the guys at Citadel were fantastic and matched the cheapest price. Shame I sold that bass...
    Yeah, they had naff all stock but I also placed a well priced order for my first 'big rig' there...she had a lot of patience with us thumbing through the tab books trying to remember bits ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Iamnobody said:
    Freemo!

Abbeygate...that was the fairly shortlived Central Music.

Freemo...that was the tobacco-stained Music Bar. Lusted after a Charvel...had to come home with a Marlin. Fond memories but your brand new Peavey Bandit stunk of smoke for years ;)

I'm old enough to also remember Perrits music shop on Freemo, and Gough and Davy in top town...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @breakstuff - only if you're interested, but (on another forum) I did post a brief picture guide to my fret-levelling process - if you scroll down a bit here:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/68785-gold-strat-partscaster-build-2.html

you should find it. :)

Great work @Megii that certainly gives me a bit more confidence that I could probably do the job myself. Obviously I'd need practice first so I'll dig my two old Strat necks out.

I've just bought a neck from China and had to sort the fret ends as they where very angular,very much like the Allparts ones (I've previously sorted one of those before too).I used a small file and wet and dry and think I did an pretty good job.I rolled the fretboard edges while I was at it which vastly improved the feel.

@digitalkettle thanks for refreshing my memory on Central Music down Abbeygate.I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.I didn't ever recal actually going in the place as I was always too nervous as a young kid,but just remember being totally transfixed by that red semi in the window.

Thanks for the suggestion @guitars4you but a little too far for me.John Me Voi is only around twenty miles from me so no big hassle to go there really,but it would be nice to find someone in Grimsby if there is such a person.

Great work @Megii that certainly gives me a bit more confidence that I could probably do the job myself. Obviously I'd need practice first so I'll dig my two old Strat necks out.

I've just bought a neck from China and had to sort the fret ends as they where very angular,very much like the Allparts ones (I've previously sorted one of those before too).I used a small file and wet and dry and think I did an pretty good job.I rolled the fretboard edges while I was at it which vastly improved the feel.

@digitalkettle thanks for refreshing my memory on Central Music down Abbeygate.I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.I didn't ever recal actually going in the place as I was always too nervous as a young kid,but just remember being totally transfixed by that red semi in the window.

Thanks for the suggestion @guitars4you but a little too far for me.John Me Voi is only around twenty miles from me so no big hassle to go there really,but it would be nice to find someone in Grimsby if there is such a person.

My mate in Grimsby (I live in Manchester now) still goes to John for his bass setups.....

I never knew a music shop used to be down Abbeygate!