Look at the nut on this!

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Posted this in the Eastman Acoustic thread too but could use some advice.

I can't play this without the Low E sliding off the board. It's been cut too close to the edge, it's also the only string that won't intonate perfectly at the 12th fret. 

Gonna sent it back. 

E string cut https://imgur.com/gallery/phJsllx

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    It's very slightly too far from the A, yes - you can see that the spacing is a bit off. Is the groove deep enough? If not you could bring it back closer to the A at the same time.

It won't have anything to do with the intonation at the 12th fret, that's either a bridge saddle or string issue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    It's very slightly too far from the A, yes - you can see that the spacing is a bit off. Is the groove deep enough? If not you could bring it back closer to the A at the same time.

It won't have anything to do with the intonation at the 12th fret, that's either a bridge saddle or string issue.
    Thanks @ICBM - deep enough towards the fretboard?

The frets ends as so well finished and the fretboard has been rounded ever so slightly, both these factors add to the slipping off effect. 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Looks like it’s been cut at an angle, pointing towards the fretboard edge.

You could try to bring it back inline, but that would leave the slot in a fan shape, which is not ideal. I think a new nut is required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's over £1k worth of guitar, should not have got past Eastman QC imo. The shop passed it too. 

It's going back, not good enough! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited February 2019
    Dare I say technique ? A lot of players push the wound strings up rather than fret on, it looks perfectly acceptable to me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    Dare I say technique ? A lot of players push the wound strings up rather than fret on, it looks perfectly acceptable to me
    You might have a point, all I can say I don't have this issue with any of my other guitars. All of which cost less than this one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Given that each wooden instrument is unique, if everything else about the guitar is perfect then I would replace the nut - by all means ask the shop to replace it but I would be wary of a shop's care if this passed its quality checks. If the guitar is less than inspiring then sure, return it to the shop for another or a a refund.
    Fuengi said:

The frets ends as so well finished and the fretboard has been rounded ever so slightly, both these factors add to the slipping off effect.
    That looks like it isn’t helping. Yes, you can only fix it without changing the nut if the groove needs to be deepened as well.

sweepy said:
    The string *is* too close to the edge though - you can clearly see it in the close-up photo - only a tiny bit, but probably enough to make the difference.

Whistler said:
    Given that each wooden instrument is unique, if everything else about the guitar is perfect then I would replace the nut - by all means ask the shop to replace it but I would be wary of a shop's care if this passed its quality checks. If the guitar is less than inspiring then sure, return it to the shop for another or a a refund.
    I would agree with this. I generally wouldn’t trust either the importer or an average shop tech to get it right, so
    if the rest of the guitar is great then it’s best to keep the guitar and pay a good luthier to do it. It shouldn’t cost more than about £50 - annoying on top of the cost of the guitar, but small in the grand scheme of it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Deffo look like the slot is too far towards the bass side but it’s a little hard to tell definitively as the photo is taken slightly from the left-hand side. That’s the thing with these camera phones, the lens is always over to one side so to get a dead-centred close-up I always have to remind myself to centre the actual lens over the object, not the phone.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited February 2019
    ICBM said:
    Fuengi said:

That looks like it isn’t helping. Yes, you can only fix it without changing the nut if the groove needs to be deepened as well.

Ok, I get it. No, I'm not sure there is enough to cut down and across. It's been cut slightly on the angle as @Maynehead picked up, just enough to push it away from the correct line. Photos here https://imgur.com/gallery/DvpLO72.

sweepy said:
    The string *is* too close to the edge though - you can clearly see it in the close-up photo - only a tiny bit, but probably enough to make the difference.

I've taken some close up pictures that show the issue. If you look at the high e you can see where the frets start to bevel and how it sits across the flat part of the fret. The low E is sitting half across the flat fret and half across the bevel. With my imperfect technique any upward pressure at all sushes it off the side of the board. 
    jtler said:
    I would agree with this. I generally wouldn’t trust either the importer or an average shop tech to get it right, so
    if the rest of the guitar is great then it’s best to keep the guitar and pay a good luthier to do it. It shouldn’t cost more than about £50 - annoying on top of the cost of the guitar, but small in the grand scheme of it...

I would agree with this too. Having had a the night to sleep on it and another go on t this morning it is a lovely guitar. I checked the intonation this morning and it's bang on now across all the frets. I think they must have put new strings on it and that was the issue yesterday with the intonation as you identified. I stretched them out last night and the guitar is perfectly in tune this morning.

So, it's just the nut issue to resolve.

From what I can see there are only two of these guitars in the country, it's the pre 2018 specification with a rosewood board and no scratch plate. This one is really nice, love the sunburst and it rings out very nicely indeed. I'm edging towards keeping it and sorting the nut out.   

• Where did you get it from? Richards?
    Where did you get it from? Richards?
        No. I did discuss with Richard and I must say that he was absolutely great to deal with, but they only had the updated spec version with the ebony board and the scratch plate which isn't for me.

I got it from Peach, and they have been excellent to deal with. I take back the issue over the intonation, that has resolved itself with stretching out the new strings last night.

The nut issue is marginal, and I can understand how they missed it. It is only really an issue because the fret ends are so well dressed that the slight mis-alignment at the nut is pushing it on to the sloped section. In hindsight I can't really blame QC for missing this, you need to play it for 10 minutes to understand what is happening. I think I was just reacting yesterday as it was fresh.

Peach did highlight some swirling on the finish which I can't really see and gave me a discount for that.   
  • Only asking because I've half got my eye on the one in Ivor Maraints! Every one of these I've tried has been really good. Sorry to hear about the nut issues and hope you manage to get it sorted. 
    Only asking because I've half got my eye on the one in Ivor Maraints! Every one of these I've tried has been really good. Sorry to hear about the nut issues and hope you manage to get it sorted. 
    I think that the one in Ivor Moraints is the only other rosewood board / no scratch plate sunburst version in the uk, certainly the only one I found. Richard confirmed his are the newer version - which also look very nice.

Guitar Village has a used E10ss/v in stock which I have played and is lovely. I believe it also has a pickup installed but must admit I didn't notice it.

I'm more happy this morning with it, the intonation issue having gone away. I've contacted Peach, hopefully they will either just want me to return it or perhaps offer some compensation for a replacement nut. I await a response!

All the things you hear about these seem to be true, the nut aside it looks really well made. The sunburst is really nice, quite dark and caramel colour and the mahogany on the b&s and the back of the neck is as good as i have ever seen. Incredible patternation.

Shame about that bloomin' nut!

Update - Peach messaged my this morning to say they would organise the collection at a date that suited me. They had actually read this thread and also offered to pay £50 towards a luthier making a new nut.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Update - Peach messaged my this morning to say they would organise the collection at a date that suited me. They had actually read this thread and also offered to pay £50 towards a luthier making a new nut.

Can’t say fairer than that!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I had this problem on a new AV52 tele. As you say, slipping issue exacerbated by (slightly overdone) fingerboard rolling and fret edge bevelling. Otherwise great guitar so I had a proper luthier fit a new nut. Problem solved.
    TINMAN82 said:
    I had this problem on a new AV52 tele. As you say, slipping issue exacerbated by (slightly overdone) fingerboard rolling and fret edge bevelling. Otherwise great guitar so I had a proper luthier fit a new nut. Problem solved.
    Peach put new strings on an the Low E was really stiff for a couple of days, which with the slight angle on the nut cut and the fret ends meant it just slipped off. It's now ok having settled in, although I think it could do with a new nut just to help the the low e resonate. Plus every thime i put new strings on it's gonna be the same issue.

Fuengi said:

Peach put new strings on an the Low E was really stiff for a couple of days, which with the slight angle on the nut cut and the fret ends meant it just slipped off. It's now ok having settled in, although I think it could do with a new nut just to help the the low e resonate. Plus every thime i put new strings on it's gonna be the same issue.
    So they didn't replace it?

It sounds like it might actually just need the nut widening slightly toward the A string, in fact - that would move the string very slightly further from the edge and also stop that kink in the string. You could probably get away with it even if the groove is the right height already.

ICBM said:
    Fuengi said:

So they didn't replace it?

It sounds like it might actually just need the nut widening slightly toward the A string, in fact - that would move the string very slightly further from the edge and also stop that kink in the string. You could probably get away with it even if the groove is the right height already.
    No, Peach offered to pay for my tech to replace the nut. I'm trying to book him in to do it at the moment.