PRS SE quality... Surprising!

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
I went for an interview in York today and popped into a music shop.

They had some 400-800 PRS SE guitars and my word, the fit and finish was incredible for that price. 

Is this usual? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    edited April 2019
    I believe so, from the one I've played and the comments I've read on here about them 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Yes. 
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I still really, really want to try a cu22 semi hollow... Not sure I should though!  =)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14442
    edited April 2019
    I have one of the older SE CU22 Semihollow ones with the flat top. I upgraded the machineheads, pickups and control harness.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I have the Bernie Marsden SE & it plays every bit as nice as any American/Japanese guitar I do own & have owned in the past. Neck feels incredible (large with a satin finish), pickups roll off exceptionally well, and I can't pick a fault with the finish at all.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    Yep they're awesome guitars. I wish I got on with the wide fat neck profile, it's just a bit too chunky and wide for me. I tried a Bernie and felt that was different despite the spec sheet saying it's just a wide fat. Maybe it was just the satin finish tricking me.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    I have one of the older SE CU22 Semihollow ones with the flat top. I upgraded the machineheads, pickups and control harness.
    I've had two of these.  The first (blue) I sold to a colleague and later regretted the decision.  He wouldn't part with it so I bought a second hand one online (natural), upgraded the tuners and did one gig with it.  I was so impressed that I promptly went out and bought an S2 custom semi hollow (also blue) and gave the SE to my son.

I have a Chris Robertson SE single cut.  I still struggle with single cuts, they just don't suit me for some reason, but the finish is superb.

I have a core (Studio 22) which is, as you might expect, the best of the bunch - but it's diminishing returns.  The SEs and S2s are great value.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 638
    Yep. They are really well finished. I had one of the spalted top Tremonti SE's and it was immaculately presented, great sounding too. I only shifted it as I wasn't really in need of a tremolo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11778
    These days you can buy a decent guitar for <200 quid.

The PRS SE range are superb, the SE Standards go for £475 and while amongst the best guitars I've seen in that price bracket, frankly you are in the ballpark of Gretsch Streamliners, basically any Epi, Mexican Fenders, G & L Tributes, a lot of ESP LTDs, lots of Ibanez, Lots of Jackson...

It is a superb time to be a guitarist, thanks to high-quality Far East manufacturing.

If the new honchos at Gibson are not looking at a Far-East Gibson branded range of Les Pauls and SGs, with the regular headstock so people don't piss themselves, I'd be amazed.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I had an SE Semi Hollow many years back and it was absolutely perfect. Astonishing guitar but never really bonded with it sadly. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    The problem is that Banks have had those same guitars on the wall since before Christmas and they never seem to change so I guess they’re not selling.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    I have an SE soapbar that is great (and for sale) btw. I was surprised at the quality and playability. Sadly nit quite the P90 instrument I need but pound for pound quite an amazing thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you are going to plug your advertised guitar, you might as well include a hyperlink. ;)

Perhaps, I should advertise and plug one of mine?
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
    Maybe the best second hand guitars to buy the SE's Great Bargains.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    rlw said:
    The problem is that Banks have had those same guitars on the wall since before Christmas and they never seem to change so I guess they’re not selling.
    PRS seems to be associated with uncool bands for younger players... Unfortunately. 
    PRS seems to be associated with uncool bands for younger players... Unfortunately. 
    Inverted snobbery. (Ironically, that would make a good name for a band.)

Kids? What do they know? "Stick 'em in the army. Send 'em darn the mines."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    I've got a 2008 custom 22 SE - I know the specs have changed a few times since, but it's a superb guitar for the money
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    edited April 2019
    Yup, bought a PRS SE singlecut recently and it's amazing for the price. To be be fair there's not a single criticism I'd have of its build, fit or finish. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes the ones I’ve played have been nice.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    TTBZ said:
    Yep they're awesome guitars. I wish I got on with the wide fat neck profile, it's just a bit too chunky and wide for me. I tried a Bernie and felt that was different despite the spec sheet saying it's just a wide fat. Maybe it was just the satin finish tricking me.
    Same here with an SE semihollow P90 .The one with a the full maple cap.lovely guitar after some Tonerider p90's fitted but just didnt get on with the neck .really jarred .great guitar though.