Hondo II project

What's Hot

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Begginers luck 100% lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    Today's update, I filled the left bridge post hole with a wooden dowel and painted in the black strip. Its not perfect but good enough for me as mostly hidden by tremolo. I had a couple more issues with the tremolo, the arm hit the rear of the body and the strings were resting on the rear of the tunomatic slightly due to close proximity of the tremolo. Inspired by the plate post above I made a wooden plate for under it which raised it fixing both issues. Again not perfect but good enough to be usable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Neat job, @Skodadad ; :)

Did you have to crack open another ink cartridge or did you have enough left over... ;)
    I had enough left over fortunately :)
    Skodadad said:
    I had enough left over fortunately :)
    Great stuff.  You're doing a very impressive job on this, @Skodadad
    I'm really enjoying it, ideally I'd like all my guitars to be my own creations. I am no badge snob and this makes them feel much more personal. I never had much to do with woodwork but I have to admit it is quite therapeutic. After closing my business recently I am looking for a career, At 44 my options are limited but I would be interested in pursuing something woodwork related.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks really good!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Thanks @usetobe I am now looking into getting a single coil sound from it. I really want it to become a keeper but I don't like the sound humbuckers make. Not experienced enough to know why but they make my ears feel like they need to pop (aeroplane type thing) I suffer with frequent bouts of Labyrinthitis and BPPV so it may be related somehow. I just don't find the sound pleasant.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    that looks absolutely stunning!
  • Yeah man this looks great, really great.
    edited October 2015
    I'm waiting a few weeks for it to properly dry now before waxing. I've started my next one :)

http://tinypic.com/r/154g50i/8

Update as of today it's drying, I have cut down a mirror pick guard to try it. Not sure what I think may make a wooden one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks pretty darn cool. Like a Gretsch prototype with the mirror guard and bigsby.

I have the exact same guitar, thinking of doing something very similar, inspired by this.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Ditch the guard - it doesn't need one and looks better without.

Great looking guitar, mate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers folks
  • Came to this late...

As I understand it, ink jet ink is water based, so it possibly reacted with the wood and didn't quite sink in enough, which could be why it rubbed off so easily at first, making the oil covering a problem (the old oil/water thing, cos most wood is naturally oily).

That said, it looks fab! Torn about the pickguard, though, cos that mirror thing looks pretty cool, but the guitar does look equally good without it. Glad i don't have to decide. :)

Overall, I think it looks pretty awesome. Great job, there.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Doesn't need the guard, but it's your guitar..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    stunning job!
    looks so damn cool.......want!
    Skodadad said:
    I'm waiting a few weeks for it to properly dry now before waxing. I've started my next one :)

http://tinypic.com/r/154g50i/8

Excellent!  What are you using for colour on this one?
    edited October 2015
    This one was pretty much featureless wood so I used 80 grit sandpaper in the direction of the grain with a heavy hand around 3 passes. I then mixed some black oil dye with some tung oil and rubbed it in to highlight the scored lines. I left it to dry then applied the Magenta printer ink with wire wool. Dried with a heat gun then sanded with 400 grit silicon carbide paper. Another coat of tung oil mixed 4 to 1 with polyurethane. I have since applied another coat of tung oil / polyurethane mixed 60/40 then I will flatten again in about a week or so and roll on some polyurethane thinned.
    It looks like this now. Again the metallic effect doesn't show in photos well.