Recommend an amp for a bedroom noodler.

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
Hi chums, hoping for some good advice.

Basically looking for a new amp, nothing big as it'll only be for home use.

I've been using a little Fender frontman for years and you know it's fine but obviously limited in what it's capable of. I'm looking to start recording some stuff (through computer) so would like to experiment a bit with modelling effects and obviously there's far better hardware out there than my little fender.

My options at the moment are pretty much gain switched on or off and that's it so I'd like to extend my sonic repertoire, love The who and Led Zep and what have you, but bought a strat last year and I'm really trying to get into some nice smooth clean sounds, nice and ambient you know?

Anyway, I tried a THR10C in Dawsons the other week, and it seems perfect, but they're a little pricey aren't they? So I was just wondering if there's a different route to go down, ie Vox VX II or Fender Mustang, or would it even be better to invest in some sort of multi-effects interface and keep using the amp I have?

I play a strat and a tele, but I'm on the lookout for an SG so would like an option that can also give some nice crunch when I'm not playing cleans. I also have a JOYO Ac tone which I find ok but am not sure I know exactly what I'm doing with it.

Anyway, advise me if you can, I don't really have a set budget as such, other than to say the £250ish going rate for the THR's is a bit steep but I'll pay it if it's my best option, shame they don't come up 2nd hand that often really

Thanks guys

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The THR's do come up though, usually for around the £160 mark, that's what I paid for mine on here. If you've tried one and liked it (and they're not for everyone) I'd hold out for one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    simonk said:
    The THR's do come up though, usually for around the £160 mark, that's what I paid for mine on here. If you've tried one and liked it (and they're not for everyone) I'd hold out for one. 

Yeah keeping an eye out on ebay so we'll see, gotta be honest though, I didn't really know what I was doing with it, was just having a little blast of it in the shop thinking what the fr!g do all them buttons do, and some random came over listening to me play and started messing around with me knobs LOL

Was just wondering if it's possible to get similar type effects for cheaper really 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Yeah, a used THR is the way to go. I have the C version, really nice, great tones, it's even quite touch sensitive. I only ever used mine on the deluxe setting and a reverb pedal - sweet.
    Zoolooter said:
    Yeah, a used THR is the way to go. I have the C version, really nice, great tones, it's even quite touch sensitive. I only ever used mine on the deluxe setting and a reverb pedal - sweet.

well . . would you like to sell it?:)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    tony99 said:
    ...so I'd like to extend my sonic repertoire.... I don't really have a set budget as such

At home I use (1) an amp modeller (with FX if I want them); (2) a very transparent amp -- basically a "make louder" box.
    That's the approach.  I.e. get the tone digitally then amplify it.  For home it works brilliantly because I can get all the sounds I want at a volume which is civil.  Almost any multi-FX is capable these days.  I'm still using an ancient Digitech GNX3000 and it's more than adequate; the amp is a Tech 21 Power something-or-other 60 but any clean SS would do I reckon.

For stage it's a totally different approach. 
    Grunfeld said:
    tony99 said:
    ...so I'd like to extend my sonic repertoire.... I don't really have a set budget as such

At home I use (1) an amp modeller (with FX if I want them); (2) a very transparent amp -- basically a "make louder" box.
    That's the approach.  I.e. get the tone digitally then amplify it.  For home it works brilliantly because I can get all the sounds I want at a volume which is civil.  Almost any multi-FX is capable these days.  I'm still using an ancient Digitech GNX3000 and it's more than adequate; the amp is a Tech 21 Power something-or-other 60 but any clean SS would do I reckon.

For stage it's a totally different approach. 

Right so I'm seeing things come up like Zooms and Digitech and because they're more readily available and cheaper 2nd hand, I'm now thinking should I get one of these and really try and pin down the sounds I like and want to work with before I splosh the dosh on something else

are these the type of things you mean when you say amp modellers? sorry I'm not the most knowledgable on this kind of stuff, which is the reason for the thread really 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Think I'd find a cheap mustang II V2 or pick up a Boss ME25 multi FX pedal & put that thorough your existing. Mustang probably £100 or less and ME25 £50ish............
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    edited March 2017
    If you can find a Boss Katana 50 SH for £125 or so then bag that............super pc of kit...not as flexible but the Vox AV15 is good too and low value
    bazxkr said:
    Think I'd find a cheap mustang II V2 or pick up a Boss ME25 multi FX pedal & put that thorough your existing. Mustang probably £100 or less and ME25 £50ish............

Boss me25 sounds interesting, might check those out . .
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    If it's for recording, just go straight into your computer with an interface.

If it's to play without recording, my view is that crunch/dirt just isnt achievable at bedroom volumes without sounding horribly artificial. IME, any decent amp played clean with the volume low will sound better than something like the THR.  

Just my view. 
    jellyroll said:
    If it's for recording, just go straight into your computer with an interface.

If it's to play without recording, my view is that crunch/dirt just isnt achievable at bedroom volumes without sounding horribly artificial. IME, any decent amp played clean with the volume low will sound better than something like the THR.  

Just my view. 

well it's for both really, I'm thinking more now to get a cheap interface to explore the sounds a bit then I might know more about what I'm really looking for
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    I've posted a couple of threads on the same topic.

The Blackstar ID Core amps are excellent for the money, you can get a new ID 10 for £99, and if you can find old Gen1 models a lot less, I got a brand new Core 20 recently for my PC and it cost me £89.

My main amp is now a Boss Katana 50 which I can't rate highly enough.

The THRs for me are a LOT of money for what they are, £250 would get you a Katana 100 or Marshall Code 50 and other more flexible amps.  THR10s are very good though.  If you are a fan of his videos, Captain Lee Anderton never shuts up about how much he loves his.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    I've posted a couple of threads on the same topic.

The Blackstar ID Core amps are excellent for the money, you can get a new ID 10 for £99, and if you can find old Gen1 models a lot less, I got a brand new Core 20 recently for my PC and it cost me £89.

My main amp is now a Boss Katana 50 which I can't rate highly enough.

The THRs for me are a LOT of money for what they are, £250 would get you a Katana 100 or Marshall Code 50 and other more flexible amps.  THR10s are very good though.  If you are a fan of his videos, Captain Lee Anderton never shuts up about how much he loves his.
    right ID10 core, let me check it, is captain anderson the one who keeps doing star wars voices on the vids?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Blackstar HT1R - preferably the head with a 1x12 cab 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I think the THR,s are great but you have to keep reminding your self they aim to give you the sound of a recorded "produced" guitar at TV noodling volumes. They are great to use to jam along to youtube or backing tracks and they do work well as a recording interface.

I love mine as it enables me to play at anytime of the day without disturbing the rest of the family. One thing I do find is they work best on a hard surface with you sitting directly in front of it.

If the THR10 is too expensive you could look at the THR5
    edited March 2017
    tony99 said:

Right so I'm seeing things come up like Zooms and Digitech and because they're more readily available and cheaper 2nd hand, I'm now thinking should I get one of these and really try and pin down the sounds I like and want to work with before I splosh the dosh on something else

are these the type of things you mean when you say amp modellers? sorry I'm not the most knowledgeable on this kind of stuff, which is the reason for the thread really 
    Yep, basically exactly that. 
    Accept from the start that no modeller will sound exactly like a real Marshall stack* or whatever, however you can be happy with the trade off between 100% authenticity and avoiding a Council noise abatement order.  But modellers are pretty bloody good these days.  So many to choose from.  YouTube is your friend.

And your "make louder box" is going to be down to space and budget. 
    ==
    Irony #1 is that I've just been on ebay and found out my old Digitech GNX-3000 is now going for more than I originally got it for.  Which is bollocks but probably "vintage" bollocks.  A Line 6 pod or a Behringer V-Amp would sound as good.
    *And if anyone wants a 100W Marshall half-stack then see my sig.  I'll chuck in a 4*12 for very little extra.
    right so these Blackstar ID core look pretty good, seem good for effects and the kind of things that I'm looing for, might start my quest for one . .
  • tony99 said:
    right so these Blackstar ID core look pretty good, seem good for effects and the kind of things that I'm looing for, might start my quest for one . .

They are decent. 

The boss katana amps are good too. Not heard one at low practice volume but the tone at volume was certainly very good, far surpassing the cost. 
    tony99 said:

They are decent. 

The boss katana amps are good too. Not heard one at low practice volume but the tone at volume was certainly very good, far surpassing the cost. 

Yeah quite important that I find something decent tonewise at lowish volume TBH
    tony99 said:
    right so these Blackstar ID core look pretty good...
    Check to see if they have an FX loop though.  iirc they don't?