Recommend an amp for a bedroom noodler.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    tony99 said:
    ok, just a quick update to say thanks again for all the help from everyone

as mentioned in a couple of other threads I've gone with the Boss Katana 50,

it's taken me a few days but I am now beginning to see some of its capabilities, and wow it's bloody good, the best thing about it is it seems to encourage me to try other things that I don't normally play. fantastic!!

still yet to figure out using it as an interface but that's probably going to be down to what software I choose probably, so expect another thread on that soon

thanks again everyone !
    Sorry, didn't see this post when I posted earlier - but yes, the Boss Katana is very well thought of by many folk here. It was the first one in my earlier 'list' and is cheaper, better featured, & way better sounding than the THR10C.  I think you did good!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Voxman said:
    tony99 said:
    ok, just a quick update to say thanks again for all the help from everyone

as mentioned in a couple of other threads I've gone with the Boss Katana 50,

it's taken me a few days but I am now beginning to see some of its capabilities, and wow it's bloody good, the best thing about it is it seems to encourage me to try other things that I don't normally play. fantastic!!

still yet to figure out using it as an interface but that's probably going to be down to what software I choose probably, so expect another thread on that soon

thanks again everyone !
    Sorry, didn't see this post when I posted earlier - but yes, the Boss Katana is very well thought of by many folk here. It was the first one in my earlier 'list' and is cheaper, better featured, & way better sounding than the THR10C.  I think you did good!  ;)
    Hey that's ok, still trying to figure out a few things though, when I was searching I found out that with the zoom G things, you can record a loop and jam with yourself, so I'd like to figure a way of doing that with the boss k?

Also, what recording software should I be looking at d'ya think, if I want o record some basic tracks / ambient moonscapes?

Thanks for your help!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Any Looper pedal will do. 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Nikko said:

ok, but if I use loop pedal then whatever fx I choose on the amp effects that loop as well as what I play over it right? because the 50 has no fx loop, right?

have I got that right?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:

ok, but if I use loop pedal then whatever fx I choose on the amp effects that loop as well as what I play over it right? because the 50 has no fx loop, right?

have I got that right?
    Yes thats correct.

Your other option if you are connected to a pc or laptop is to record a part in audacity or similar and use that as your loop.  I've done that once or twice with my Blackstar core, not tried with the Katana.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:

have I got that right?
    Yes thats correct.

Your other option if you are connected to a pc or laptop is to record a part in audacity or similar and use that as your loop.  I've done that once or twice with my Blackstar core, not tried with the Katana.
    Yes, this is what I do.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    You could just get a cheap joyo dirt pedal for when you want to loop something clean and riff over the top with some od..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    Just to resurrect this thread - today I borrowed a Blackstar ID Core Beam which had come into the shop. I was interested by the idea of a bedroom amp which will do electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass, and also it's a Bluetooth speaker.

But…

Oh dear! No. Just no.

1 - it sounds dreadful. Only the 'Bright Clean' setting is even close to being natural-sounding, all the others are muddy, muffled and totally lacking in any kind of clarity or sparkle. The ISF tone control does so little it's almost pointless.

2 - the 'Wide Stereo' reverb and delay are incredibly annoying, the sound appears to come from outside the amp in a really disconcerting way, like you're wearing headphones that are wired out of phase.

3 - the noise gate is ludicrously unsubtle and not only cuts off the tails of notes, it doesn't even open properly when you're picking softly. I can see why though, since with the gate open it's very noisy. (And for what it's worth it's very prone to picking up external noise too, which is why I had it here for testing - in the shop it was so noisy I thought it might be faulty.)

I haven't even bothered trying it with acoustic guitar or bass. I did briefly try the 'Acoustic Simulator' mode with the electric, and that if anything sounds even worse… tinny, thin and metallic.

Not sure if it actually beats the Orange Micro Terror for the title of the worst-sounding guitar amp I've ever heard - it is at least not as harsh and fatiguing to listen to - but my Vox Mini5 Rhythm thrashes it so comprehensively it's not true.

Sorry Dave :). Although I know this one is nothing to do with you!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:
    Just to resurrect this thread - today I borrowed a Blackstar ID Core Beam which had come into the shop. I was interested by the idea of a bedroom amp which will do electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass, and also it's a Bluetooth speaker.

But…

Oh dear! No. Just no.

1 - it sounds dreadful. Only the 'Bright Clean' setting is even close to being natural-sounding, all the others are muddy, muffled and totally lacking in any kind of clarity or sparkle. The ISF tone control does so little it's almost pointless.

2 - the 'Wide Stereo' reverb and delay are incredibly annoying, the sound appears to come from outside the amp in a really disconcerting way, like you're wearing headphones that are wired out of phase.

3 - the noise gate is ludicrously unsubtle and not only cuts off the tails of notes, it doesn't even open properly when you're picking softly. I can see why though, since with the gate open it's very noisy. (And for what it's worth it's very prone to picking up external noise too, which is why I had it here for testing - in the shop it was so noisy I thought it might be faulty.)

I haven't even bothered trying it with acoustic guitar or bass. I did briefly try the 'Acoustic Simulator' mode with the electric, and that if anything sounds even worse… tinny, thin and metallic.

Not sure if it actually beats the Orange Micro Terror for the title of the worst-sounding guitar amp I've ever heard - it is at least not as harsh and fatiguing to listen to - but my Vox Mini5 Rhythm thrashes it so comprehensively it's not true.

Sorry Dave :). Although I know this one is nothing to do with you!

The BEAM is really bad, it's basically a Bluetooth Speaker with a guitar modeller built in,

The ID:Core Stereo 10, 20 and 40 are pretty good though.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Was going to say my cores are pretty good.

The Beam aint cheap either, clanger dropped.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    olafgarten said:

The BEAM is really bad, it's basically a Bluetooth Speaker with a guitar modeller built in,

Just been testing a Core 20…

Better, but still no good. Same overly dark, midrangy Blackstar voicing with no top-end at all, just harsh upper mid if you use the 'bright clean' sound - and there's a huge amount of hiss on the clean sounds, proving that the lack of top-end is a deliberate voicing and not a characteristic of the speakers or power section. The ISF is more effective but still works backwards, and the 'wide stereo' is still horrible if you turn any of the effects up past 'just about on'.

Is this *really* what people think a guitar amp should sound like? (The ones who work at Blackstar, anyway…)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    My experience was the same with the Core 20 when I experimented as a desktop amp. Awful, bland, massive hiss and the "wide" reverb sounded weird.

THR, even though much more expensive, sounded infinitely better. But many people think the total opposite!  

Boss Katana is my home noodler of choice at the moment and its better than all of them (although hardly a desktop amp, to be fair). 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:
    olafgarten said:

Just been testing a Core 20…

Better, but still no good. Same overly dark, midrangy Blackstar voicing with no top-end at all, just harsh upper mid if you use the 'bright clean' sound - and there's a huge amount of hiss on the clean sounds, proving that the lack of top-end is a deliberate voicing and not a characteristic of the speakers or power section. The ISF is more effective but still works backwards, and the 'wide stereo' is still horrible if you turn any of the effects up past 'just about on'.

Is this *really* what people think a guitar amp should sound like? (The ones who work at Blackstar, anyway…)

While I'm not a huge fan of the voicing for cleans and low gain, it does sound better for their main target market which I think is higher gain rock/metal stuff. The ISF is backwards but the stereo effects aren't that bad. 
    The stereo FX are probably the worst bit of it. (Maybe apart from the hiss.) They sound absolutely dreadful, very fatiguing to listen to.

Luckily all I have to do is check it's working OK... so having confirmed that the hiss is normal it's going back to the shop now!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Still can't go wrong with a Boss Katana 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Easy one to answer . . . Cornell Romany Plus . . .  . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom