Diesel cars (toxic tax) announced

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28606
    Or you could have selected different bits of the article...

The research team said a mandatory imposition of filters on all vehicles was premature.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    The one thing is certain. The government cannot allow a drastic change of direction because of the costs involved for voters, companies buying company cars  and businesses running vans. 

They will allow local government to make a small charge for the most poluting vehicles,  will.probably increase diesel fuel cost, will change company car rules for BIK, and capital allowances for vehicle purchases. But probably by a small amount at first but signalling yearly increases in future. 

What they cannot do, (at least I'm hoping they can't) is penalise vehicles that comply with the current highest standard, because that's really unfair if alternatives do not exist. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72525
    hywelg said:

What they cannot do, (at least I'm hoping they can't) is penalise vehicles that comply with the current highest standard, because that's really unfair if alternatives do not exist. 
    They can. But they won't, at least not unless either

a - they've just won an election with an unassailable majority and want to get it over with while there's still five years until the next one.

or

b - they can convincingly blame the need to do it on the last government of the other party.

Since both of those things are likely to be true soon, you just have to hope that they won't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953
    Yes force is changing (well being equalised) but force is mass x acceration. We had many a debate at uni about this. It all depends on your frame of reference. 
    at Uni?
    this is O level maths
    Degree in Aero Engineering. Of course our equations would take into loss of mass due to fuel consumption, drag, friction on the road, side wind change in angle of attack if the gradient changes.
    you have a resultant force vector
    here's a reference for that: http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resources/uploaded/mc-web-mech1-5-2009.pdf
    acceleration will be in the direction of that vector

Acceleration is the outcome of the force vectors acting on masses, you don't have more than one acceleration fighting against each other

Engineering lecturers often struggle when explaining maths and physics 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    This diesel chat is one of the reasons I'm holding back on getting a Honda 1.6 iDTEC.
    66mpg and Honda are super reliable (apparently)....!! 
    Their Jazz does 53mpg (petrol!) but it's not the same... 
    Damn...............
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11953
    This diesel chat is one of the reasons I'm holding back on getting a Honda 1.6 iDTEC.
    Damn...............
    fuel is a very low cost unless you do crazy miles per year
    I bought my diesel anticipating 30k a year, but have so far not needed to
    edited April 2017
    Actually you're right.... I'm focusing WAY too much on this mpg number....
    I do ~15k a year. Petrol bill o old Focus was about £200 a month which I wanted to bring down. 37mpg on that. 
    The Skoda 1.4 petrol averages 47mpg but I get 60mpg peak to work and 51mpg back (uphill). Out of a petrol!!
    Shame it's boomy on the inside - hurts my ears - has to go!!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Yes force is changing (well being equalised) but force is mass x acceration. We had many a debate at uni about this. It all depends on your frame of reference. 
    at Uni?
    this is O level maths
    Degree in Aero Engineering. Of course our equations would take into loss of mass due to fuel consumption, drag, friction on the road, side wind change in angle of attack if the gradient changes.
    you have a resultant force vector
    here's a reference for that: http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resources/uploaded/mc-web-mech1-5-2009.pdf
    acceleration will be in the direction of that vector

Acceleration is the outcome of the force vectors acting on masses, you don't have more than one acceleration fighting against each other

Engineering lecturers often struggle when explaining maths and physics 
    But in finding out what that vector is you may have to use f=ma
    with different values of a (in different directions)

That sounds a bit backwards - why work out the force from the acceleration?

In general I concur that acceleration is the outcome and is a single vector that results from the various forces acting on the mass.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72525
    Damn............…
    Actually you're right.... I'm focusing WAY too much on this mpg number....
    I do ~15k a year. Petrol bill o old Focus was about £200 a month which I wanted to bring down. 37mpg on that. 
    The Skoda 1.4 petrol averages 47mpg but I get 60mpg peak to work and 51mpg back (uphill). Out of a petrol!!
    Shame it's boomy on the inside - hurts my ears - has to go!!
    The first decision you need to make is to simply rule out a diesel.

If you're doing 15K a year, that's about 320 litres of petrol in the Skoda or 225 litres of diesel in the Honda, roughly - saving 95 litres at about £1.20 a litre, ie £114 a year… basically peanuts.

If you were doing huge mileages or looking for a type of car where diesel is the only (or only sensible) option, it would be different - but you're looking for a small-ish standard car, the very type where diesel has no advantages other than a tiny bit of fuel economy, and a whole lot of disadvantages - not least that if they do go wrong for something engine-related, they're almost always a lot more expensive to repair than a similar petrol - this from my garage mechanic.

There's also the strong possibility of much greater depreciation as diesel becomes unpopular - or maybe even penalised in places like Edinburgh - and it could end up costing you much more than that tiny saving in fuel cost.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I concur with ICBM; at that mileage diesel is not the correct choice, unless you're towing or carrying a metric crapload of heavy stuff.

I think my mileage is marginal for diesel (not much more) but the sort of car I want/need isn't available in petrol unless you're willing to spend 50% more.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I'm a firm believer that obsessing about MPG is a waste of time. Most mainstream cars are very similar, in real world terms, when it comes to MPG and the savings to be had. We've just been hard sold the benefits of diesel for such a long time, we all believe it.

Sporky said:

In general I concur that acceleration is the outcome and is a single vector that results from the various forces acting on the mass.
    Because g is acceleration = 9.8 m/s^2.

If this where a banked track on the side of a hill, You would have to calculate g1= gravity component of gradient and g2 gravity component of the bank angle.

The resultant acceleration will be zero when all the forces balance themselves out. Otherwise you fall off the track.

Sporky said:

Gravity is a force - 9.8N/kg.

9.8m/s^2 is the resulting acceleration (assuming no other forces).

It's much simpler to work in forces, then once you've combined all the forces you work out the resultant acceleration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

Gravity is a force - 9.8N/kg.

9.8m/s^2 is the resulting acceleration (assuming no other forces).

It's much simpler to work in forces, then once you've combined all the forces you work out the resultant acceleration.
    g is referred to as the acceleration of gravity. Its value is 9.8 m/s2 at sea level

But what if m is changing and when you get into rockets g also changes with altitude.
    What you may want to find out is, What is the force I need to exert in direction X/Y/Z to ensure I stay the same speed.

What you may want to find out is, What is the force I need to exert in direction X/Y/Z to ensure I stay the same speed.

Well, in that case you're definitely better off working in forces!
    But once you need to start intergrating or differenting based on speed/time you have to use the acceleration variable
    @ICBM I agree - I'm right on the line where folk would say a diesel is worth it. I calculated I'd save more - I'll have to revisit the numbers. The ONLY diesel I'd have considered was the Civic 1.6 as it gets next to no bad reviews - the DPF is near the exhaust and has very few issues. 66mpg but then I'm getting 50+ from a 1.4 TFSI petrol so yeah... in that case, petrol wins. Totally agree about diesel depreciation, too..... and possibility of higher diesel price or road tax rise for diesel users. 
    -> Just need to choose the right petrol! 
    I really recommend the new 2017 Civic.
    The old one was good this one is bloody brilliant.

edited April 2017
    I LOVE the look of the 2017 Civic.... unfortunately I'd have to pay new prices which I'd never do and couldn't afford anyway!
    The old model..... not keen on the rear bar... and the seat is too high... I keep bumping my knees off the steering wheel. 
    Plus, their headrests tilt forward too much. 
    But the 2017 looks good.

What about Mazda 3/6? The only thing I've read is they can be noisy. I might have to bite the bullet am get an A3 with this same amazing TFSI engine.