Diesel cars (toxic tax) announced

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Sporky said:
    I'm pretty sure my next will be petrol or electric.

If it's petrol it'll almost certainly pollute more than my current diesel. Because it'll use a lot of petrol.
    That depends what you mean by pollute. CO2 - yes. NOx and particulates, no.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28227
    edited May 2017
    I'm sure there are additives I can apply.

And by then the same people who are currently hysterical about diesel will have moved on to emotional attacks on petrol, or whistling, or words with more than four syllables. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Sporky said:
    I'm sure there are additives I can apply.
    Putting some diesel in it usually works ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good call!

My mileage is at the point where diesel is worth it, and I don't drive in towns much, but in four years (at a guess when I'll next change), I reckon the choice will have swung and there'll be some decent petrol options for me.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    There are good petrol options available today. Your average new 1l turbo cars produce 120bhp and quite happily cruise along on a motorway doing 50mpg in quite large cars.
    I did 52mpg London to Southampton without particularly trying and the car is rated at 53mpg.
    Not that long ago 50mpg was considered good in a diesel
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    There are good petrol options available today. Your average new 1l turbo cars produce 120bhp and quite happily cruise along on a motorway doing 50mpg in quite large cars.
    I did 52mpg London to Southampton without particularly trying and the car is rated at 53mpg.

What you say is true but I wonder about the longevity of these small, high power petrol engines, especially ones that are fitted to large vehicles.  VW fitted their Sharan with a 1.2 Super+Turbo engine, I think - personally I wouldn't want to buy one used.  And while steady cruising might achieve good MPG, what happens under urban driving conditions when you have a tiny engine in a fat-ass car?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Haych said:

What you say is true but I wonder about the longevity of these small, high power petrol engines, especially ones that are fitted to large vehicles.  VW fitted their Sharan with a 1.2 Super+Turbo engine, I think - personally I wouldn't want to buy one used.  And while steady cruising might achieve good MPG, what happens under urban driving conditions when you have a tiny engine in a fat-ass car?

I can compare last years 1.6Diesel Civic and this years 1.0l Petrol. as I've had both.
    The 1.0L is quite a low revving lump gives better fuel economy that the diesel around town, and never feels like
    it is struggling

There are good petrol options available today.
    I'm not aware of a small, quick, petrol 4x4 estate with decent ground clearance under £30k. If there had been, I'd have bought one.

There are at least 3 diesel ones, so I bought one of those.