Silent amp

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 746
So I left my laney cub12 turned on overnight and this morning it was totally silent. Any clues as to what might be the cause? Cheers
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    The usual cause is a thermistor in the valve filament supply. They very commonly fail.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited April 2017
    Thanks @ICBM. Does that mean that replacing the faulty valve will solve it or is there any additional work to be done?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    fnpt said:
    Thanks @ICBM. Does that mean that replacing the faulty valve will solve it or is there any additional work to be done?
    No, you need to replace the thermistor. It's soldered onto the PCB so it's not really a DIY job unless you're familiar with that sort of thing. The valves themselves are probably fine.

It's easy to check for it - if none of the valves light up, it's almost certainly this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     That's a bummer. The valves do not light up in fact. Thanks @ICBM.
    ____
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited April 2017
    Mine had this overheating/cut-off problem and Laney fixed it under warranty.  First thought, if this is the thermister resistor:
    • When did you buy your Cub?
    • Where did you buy it from (some stores give their own free warranties eg DV247, 3 yrs)? & 
    • Did you register on-line for Laney's free 5 yr extended warranty?
      Even if its not under any warranty, have a chat with Laney (Headstock Distribution Ltd, tel: 0121 508 6666). This is a known problem with these amps and they might be prepared to fix it for you at no charge, or at least send you the upgraded replacement part free.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited April 2017
    You can actually get a small 20mm fuse holder to fit into the PC once the thermistor is removed, with a bit of 'adjustment' to the pins, but best left to your amp tech to be honest.
    edited April 2017
    Looking back at my notes & photos, it looks like I had to put small leads onto the fuse holder and into the PCB (shown minus the plastic fuse cover)

It's a poor design really. The only reason I can think of why they would use a thermistor in the first place is because the transformer isn't quite beefy enough to supply the full valve current continuously - and I have come across a couple of failed ones too, so that doesn't seem unlikely. Apparently they originally used a fuse, but presumably - like all filament fuses - they had too many nuisance blows unless the value is high enough that it doesn't really do a lot…

I've replaced a couple of them with a wirewound resistor - from memory 0R1 2.5W, but I would need to check - that only knocks off about a quarter of a volt from the filament voltage and will limit the cold-valve current to some extent, but in the event of a real short the resistor would burn out before the transformer. I'm not normally a fan of using resistors as fuses, admittedly.

Never been a lover of thermistors, I have seen too many blown to bits, when something upstream goes short circuit. Most amps don't have any protection in the heater circuit other than the transformer primary fuse. A sacrificial resistor is a good idea but if they go, they can make a bit of a mess on the PCB, but equally I agree fuses can be troublesome with nuisance blows on in-rush current. Leo didn't worry too much, but then again his transformers could power half of Yorkshire!!

I bought the amp from Thomann around 5 years ago. I suspect the warranty has already expired. I'll contact them anyway and if that doesnt solve it I'll try the people at Laney. I'm in Portugal however so will still have to look for a tech to do the job. 
    ____
    Bumping this thread because I've turned the amp on again and it played for about 5 minutes before it slowly decreased the volume and went off again. Tried it a few minutes later again and the same thing happened.

Having read this: http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?222341-Is-your-Laney-CUB12-10-dying-after-a-couple-of-minutes-Read-This! do you think that it is safe/ possible to solve the problem by bypassing the thermistors?

____
    If you don't mind risking the power transformer failing at some point then it's safe to bypass the thermistor. Given that Laney transformers quite often seem to fail anyway you may either consider that increasing the risk, or simply making it no worse…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @ICBM. You see, I like my Helix more everyday...
    ____
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    is that vintage silent or more modern silent?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I just need to find someone local qualified to fit the new thermistor.
    ____
    fnpt said:
    I finally contacted Laney about this and in less than 24 hours they had already agreed to send me a replacement part. Great service from Laney.

I just need to find someone local qualified to fit the new thermistor.
    This is a very long shot, but seeing that you're in Portugal…

So is the chap who makes these, and he can clearly solder.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Amplifier-Attenuator-Volume-Pedal-Passive-Volume-Amp-Reducer-/141620893968?hash=item20f9435910:g:tG4AAOSwKtlWk9Ft

I'm aware that Portugal is quite a big country :).

Thanks @ICBM. That guy is in Aveiro, north of Portugal whilst I am in Madeira. It would involve shipping to and fro.
    ____
    fnpt said:
    Thanks @ICBM. That guy is in Aveiro, north of Portugal whilst I am in Madeira. It would involve shipping to and fro.
    Ah :). I did think it was a long shot!

Madeira is a lovely place - I've only been once, about 25 years ago, but I am now slightly envious ;).

Its time to return then - things are quite different from 25 years ago but still a nice and convenient place to vacation especially if you have kids. Easyjet flies here from Gatwick.
    ____
    If we hadn't been on holiday already this year I would suggest it to my wife and just not tell her why I'm putting a soldering iron in the suitcase ;).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom