ThatPedalShow Shoegaze, Muff episode

What's Hot
absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
edited April 2017 in FX
Just watched the recent TPS show on muffs and loosely shoegaze...boy did they get it wrong.  I grant its not in their wheelhouse (they say as much on the vid) but it was like no effort was made to understand the genre beyond its most obvious and superficial characteristics.  I mean they have a G2 on the floor and they didnt even stick the reverb before the fuzz (an obvious shoegaze 'trick').  Swing and a miss for me...although I now have MASSIVE GAS for a Fig Fumb!!  Anyone else seen it yet?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I can only take those guys in small doses.
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    edited April 2017
    What annoyed me is that while much maligned at the time, shoegaze has been rightfully re-appraised in recent years for the way it moved guitar music on...and I still maintain that Kevin Shields is one of the last true innovators of the electric guitar in terms of technique and sound.  They seemed quite content to rehash old stereotypes of what shoegaze supposedly is/was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Haven't watched it yet; are they playing les pauls in standard tuning?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    edited April 2017
    I saw an interview with Ride last night where they say Kevin Shields said despite the size of his board he only really uses a compressor

https://reverb.com/uk/news/reverb-soundcheck-ride

ps i thought reverb before fuzz was THE way to make the shoegaze
    pps not seen the video yet though
    ppps how you doing? you having a good day?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    For stuff out their comfort zone they need to get guests in, like with Rebea and the metal zone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I haven't watched it yet but I hope the genre wasn't mocked.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Suggest you don't watch it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Hopefully it is tongue in cheek and they do actually respect the whole concept of shoegaze.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't watched it yet but I hope the genre wasn't mocked.
    Yeah they mocked it a bit and the fans....the low was calling MBV "My Sweaty Armpit".  No LPs to speak of, a dodgy looking mustang and one of the new pro series Jazzmasters (wasted as they didnt attempt glide guitar).  Its a shame, considering the channel is all about pedals you'd think they'd have been excited to do a show on arguably THE genre which is most reliant on them...but no nothing like that.  The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am lol.  I mean they have a Fender super AND a JC-120 in there but they didnt touch them...favouring to use the 50w JMP (which is sweet I have to say).  It couldve been done so well, looking at amps, looking at techniques and key pedals for the sound, discussing volume, switching, stereo vs. mono setups, etc, etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas said:
    I saw an interview with Ride last night where they say Kevin Shields said despite the size of his board he only really uses a compressor

https://reverb.com/uk/news/reverb-soundcheck-ride

ps i thought reverb before fuzz was THE way to make the shoegaze
    pps not seen the video yet though
    ppps how you doing? you having a good day?
    Oooh i'll need to watch that.  I've seen MBV a couple of times and theres defo more than amp sounds and compression going on there.  I guess he may not use all the board all the time but his sound is still heavily effected.  He definitely uses a looper in the holocaust section of You Made Me Realise.  I know that in the studio there weren't many effects aside from the gated reverse reverb in the Yamaha SPX90 then the rest was compression and EQ...but live is a totally different story as far as I could tell (it was blow your ears off loud after all).
  • But they very clearly said they didnt know much about the genre at the start and it was mostly an excuse to look more at Big Muffs though right? 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I must admit I've never heard of the shoegaze genre and I is old ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Don't get me started on Fender's take on a modern Jazzmaster/Jag.....big chance to make offsets appeal to even the offset old school fans, but....nope. Strat pickups in Jazzmaster casing.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Why tie in muffs with shoegaze? MBV, Ride and Slowdive didn't use them in their heyday, a Rat would have been a better choice.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Why tie in muffs with shoegaze? MBV, Ride and Slowdive didn't use them in their heyday, a Rat would have been a better choice.
    Who? Obviously no point in me viewing it this week as it'll totally go over my head ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm always amazed at how little they manage to pack into their overlong vids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    edited April 2017
    Or a HM-2...
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited April 2017
    Yeah they mocked it a bit and the fans....the low was calling MBV "My Sweaty Armpit".  No LPs to speak of, a dodgy looking mustang and one of the new pro series Jazzmasters (wasted as they didnt attempt glide guitar).  Its a shame, considering the channel is all about pedals you'd think they'd have been excited to do a show on arguably THE genre which is most reliant on them...but no nothing like that.  The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am lol.  I mean they have a Fender super AND a JC-120 in there but they didnt touch them...favouring to use the 50w JMP (which is sweet I have to say).  It couldve been done so well, looking at amps, looking at techniques and key pedals for the sound, discussing volume, switching, stereo vs. mono setups, etc, etc.
    "Calling MBV 'My Sweaty Armpit'...."

As was said earlier, MBV were true innovators in how you could make a guitar sound, so unnecessarily dismissive of them. If they want to mindlessly take the p*** out of an entire style of music that's their business, but I've lost a lot of respect for TPS now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    About to watch it

Expect to come out rather angry
    Stop crying, start buying
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Update: 11 minutes in, moderately annoyed
    Stop crying, start buying