ThatPedalShow Shoegaze, Muff episode

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    timhulio said:
    That's post-rock.
    Ahhhh
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhulio said:
    That's post-rock.
    Ahhhh
    Post-rock takes a lot of influence from Shoegaze...so I assume TPS wont like and/or understand it either.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    timhulio said:
    That's post-rock.
    Ahhhh
    Post-rock takes a lot of influence from Shoegaze...so I assume TPS wont like and/or understand it either.
    I'll be honest here, is never heard of it or any of the bands mentioned, except MBV, and only because I got them mixed up with BFMV. 

I had only heard 'shoegaze' as a derogatory comment regarding lacklustre indie bands. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    edited April 2017
    I have to be honest, I've always took shoegaze to mean "take Oasis and Blur and extrapolate backwards through the Stone Roses until everything is really dull and noone writes any hooks", so I'm not the target market, I guess.

FWIW I thought the video was ok. They admitted they knew bugger all about the genre but did their best to show some muffs in a good light. At least they were having fun. TBH I just enjoy listening to Dan talk about pedals cos he's a great guy who's more passionate about this stuff than almost any of us.

I've seen WAY worse, super-po-faced delay vids where they promise to show you how to sound like the Edge and then get the delay settings wrong AND play nothing like he does... Mind you, I haven't seen the TPS delay video yet...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have to be honest, I've always took shoegaze to mean "take Oasis and Blur and extrapolate backwards through the Stone Roses until everything is really dull and noone writes any hooks", so I'm not the target market, I guess.

FWIW I thought the video was ok. They admitted they knew bugger all about the genre but did their best to show some muffs in a good light. At least they were having fun. TBH I just enjoy listening to Dan talk about pedals cos he's a great guy who's more passionate about this stuff than almost any of us.

I've seen WAY worse, super-po-faced delay vids where they threaten to show you how to sound like the Edge and then get the delay settings wrong AND thankfully play nothing like he does... Mind you, I haven't seen the TPS delay video yet...!
    Fixed that for you :)
  • ...only jesting, he's alright. I genuinely like his guitar sound up to and including The Unforgettable Fire.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28228
    I have to be honest, I've always took shoegaze to mean "take Oasis and Blur and extrapolate backwards through the Stone Roses until everything is really dull and noone writes any hooks", so I'm not the target market, I guess.
    Possibly not - I don't think there's any musical connection between those three and shoegaze.

As for no hooks, while Swervedriver were out on the rawk edge of shoegaze I think this is probably allowable:

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Sporky said:
    Possibly not - I don't think there's any musical connection between those three and shoegaze.

As for no hooks, while Swervedriver were out on the rawk edge of shoegaze I think this is probably allowable:

I should make it quite clear that I haven't heard enough shoegaze to know whether my assumption is in any way accurate! 

Having listened to that track, I'd say probably not, but i'm still not sure I like it. Which is fine. Certainly better than what I've heard of MBV, who are a band I feel like I should love, on paper, but I can't get to grips with.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    samzadgan said:

Sometimes their shows seem like they are catered for blues rock players, giving them a glimpse into other genres..."look at these other weird music and the stuff they need to make music"
    To be fair Guitarist magazine is like this too - non-blues rock genres are gently mocked or ignored. Remember when they first interviewed Johnny Marr back in 2010 or so, they spent most of the editorial apologising to their blues-rock readers for publishing the interview!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Having listened to that track, I'd say probably not, but i'm still not sure I like it. Which is fine. Certainly better than what I've heard of MBV, who are a band I feel like I should love, on paper, but I can't get to grips with.
    MBV are an odd sort, and their output has been quite varied both in style and in quality. I loved Isn't Anything at the time, but most of it sounds pretty ropey to me now. Loveless is a classic and still worth an occasional listen, but the last album (mbv) is to me just a waste of time I could be listening to something better. Y'know, like Aqua, or badly recorded polka.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    It was an annoying video, of that there is no doubt. The Fig Fumb looks a hell of a pedal though. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    timhulio said:
    That's post-rock.
    Ahhhh
    Rock ended? Fuck :-( 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

Rock ended? Fuck :-( 
    Turns out the writing does go all the way through.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I was an Indie kid back in the day (albeit one who also listened to Steely Dan and Steve Vai!) and one of my best mates is a Shoegaze devotee who dragged me along to a MBV gig some years ago and my ears are still ringing. I seriously thought my head was going to fall off! I can only liken it to being stood underneath a jet taking off. For 2 hours. I didnt find it that enjoyable.

I thus file Shoegaze under "not exactly for me but I see the huge importance of it" - I.e. I appreciate the influence that comes out from time to time in say Wolf Alice's music than I do the shoe gaze "classics".
  • Going blank again. What an album. 

I copped a brilliant emulation of the muff tones on that album from a juansolo jumbo tonebender. Absolutely glorious sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched this today actually. I genuinely really enjoy the way they interact with each other. I don't know if they were mates before this series of stuff or not but it's a better watch than people with a gun to their heads forcing to get on.

That being said, middle class white guy blues is half the reasons I got into shoegaze (and a number of fairly antisocial genres) and the reason "alternative" music exists. The idea that they even talk about Sonic Youth is painful and regardless of how honest they are about it, they clearly have no understanding of a genre that has creativity outside of theory or ability (at times).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched this today actually. I genuinely really enjoy the way they interact with each other. I don't know if they were mates before this series of stuff or not but it's a better watch than people with a gun to their heads forcing to get on.

That being said, middle class white guy blues is half the reasons I got into shoegaze (and a number of fairly antisocial genres) and the reason "alternative" music exists. The idea that they even talk about Sonic Youth is painful and regardless of how honest they are about it, they clearly have no understanding of a genre that has creativity outside of theory or ability (at times).
    I'd rather listen to The Fall forever than one minute of middle-class white man blues. I know The Fall aren't shoegaze but they're far from the middle of the road, and that's how I like it.
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    edited April 2017
    2 shoegazing highlights (for me)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom