Reidys says "no more rosewood" from Fender on *most* models

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited May 2017
    Whitecat said:
    Wouldn't it be just as hard/annoying to get finished guitars containing rosewood from Mexico to the US as it would be to get them from the US to anywhere else? 

Can envision rosewood on USA-only models (like PRS does with the majority of their Brazilian rosewood) but anytime you introduce another border it seems to me it would make it that much more difficult. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    mellowsun said:
    Voxman said:
    Well, I think I have all the guitars I need and I tend to buy pre-owned gear anyway, so if new guitars don't come with rosewood or ebony fingerboards I doubt I'm going to be directly impacted.  But I wonder if all this means that the value of rosewood & ebony board guitars will increase on the used market?
    They could be harder to sell if the regulations tighten further
    Not likely to happen in local markets - it's the world trade that they want to curb, so selling in your own country is unlikely to be affected.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681

I hope all those customs officials are trained to spot the difference between pau ferro and actual rosewoods.  It wont help that it is often sold as  Santos/Bolivian/Mexican rosewood

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    At least they aren't switching everything to maple. It will be interesting to see what Gibson does, especially with their True Historic models. While they will most likely come with a certificate, it will still be difficult to move them around. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

I hope all those customs officials are trained to spot the difference between pau ferro and actual rosewoods.  It wont help that it is often sold as  Santos/Bolivian/Mexican rosewood

that was actually discussed recently between music trade officials and CITES - I did hear that CITES introduced the blanket ban on rosewood partly as they could not tell the difference
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    At least they aren't switching everything to maple. It will be interesting to see what Gibson does, especially with their True Historic models. While they will most likely come with a certificate, it will still be difficult to move them around. 
    no issue to move around within your own Customs boundaries - EU for us

New Custom Shop Fenders now come with CITES numbers which we have to copy on to our customer invoices, so I dare say likewise for Gibson etc - this is only required post 2/1/17

Remember if you are actually traveling with the guitar as your own possession then you don't need CITES certificate for such guitars with Indian Rosewood - but better to have some document receipt to show customs it is Indian Rosewood and pre 2/1/17 if asked
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424
    WezV said:

Allegedly the latest shipments of "reclaimed wood" PRS guitars to the UK were held up in Customs for weeks because Customs officials didn't believe they didn't contain any rosewood...