Photobucket....have you ditched it?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    You can post an image direct on iPhone - I do it all the time. 

There is a teeny secret tho..

When you click on the add file/image button, paste the link into the box (hold finger then select paste) and then press space bar - lo and behold, your image link will then work - it might dump you at the top of the page, but scroll back down and hit 'post comment'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    KKJale said:
    Doh! I only just realised you can download albums from Photobucket, so I've got everything transferred over to Imgur and I'll use that from now on. Cheers for the kick in the pants.
    How?

i am sure I looked a few months back
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    Dropbox and Facebook are blocked at work. Imgur and flickr ftw!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7923
    edited April 2017
    Hmmm. Still can't get direct photo to work on iPhone...  explain the spacebar thing again...?

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7923

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2089
    I going with Imgur for a bit...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2089
    Thats enough of Imgur !....crap.....onto Flickr....seems easier straight away.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I haven't bothered with Photobucket for years what with pop ups and general fuckery etc. 

To be honest, if people use it to post NGD pics/sale pics, I'm less likely to look at them because it's such a pain in the arse to use these days.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I use Flickr.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited April 2017
    @WezV Go to Library, then right hand side, Actions > Download Album. Gives you a zip file which you can open, and then just throw the whole folder into Imgur. 

It's limited in size though unless you go Pro (pfff) so you might have to fiddle around creating some sub-albums with less than 100 images. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Photobucket - left it aeons ago.

Flickr, or for simple image hosting PostImage is great (and free)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Take a look through this, there is also an index 2nd post down

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/14957/posting-pictures-a-little-help#latest

Please update either that thread or any of the service specific ones linked from it if you know how to do something to help the good folks on here.

I'm another one who won't click on links, so please put the communal effort into embedding images on here.

And yes you can embed images from Imgur from a mobile, @RaymondLin wrote a very good pictorial guide on doing just that ~ see index in the link above.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Flickr is 100% the best I've used, no issues with non-public images or albums, good speed, good quality, huge amount of space and when it's working Aviary is a very good basic image modifying tool.

Loads of good sharing options too, like easy to access embedded links with lots of choices of image resolution.
    edited April 2017

There are a few issues here - not all the are the fault of the hosting site

1. Hosting sites loading times - most will load the whole site before showing you an image.  Some will load an app if you have it installed
    2. Hosting sites ads - connected to the above, but some of the ads can be very spammy and PB is particularly bad for this.
    3. LInks rather than pics displaying on the mobile version of theFretboard - this is user error, and we can all improve it by taking the time to post properly.

Telling people to to stop using PB only solves  the second issue. Even PB can be used successfully

Host where you want, but learn how to post properly

• Many of the hosting sites offer you direct link or embed image code - ignore these and just right click on the image to get the URL
    • Always use the attach image/file button above the editor.  This is dead simple on desktop, but can be fiddly on mobile
    • Check your own posts.  Do you see a link on mobile?   If so, try again, or update when you can get to a computer

PB links should be avoided at all costs.  On a good day it loads all of PB first before the image, on a bad day it will spam you to hell and back and you will never see the pic.

Imgur links are also frustrating if you have the app installed.   It will take you out of your browse and load the app.  Its not as serious as the PB issues, but it can be frustrating

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
    Nope, still using it, OK on th'iPad...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yeah hate it when people link photobucket on here, I can never see the pics using my phone.
    Old Is Gold
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm probably being dim but when I try to put the link into the image box rather than just pasting into the post it won't let me.      
    I open the box, paste the link but can't close the box without it closing the whole post so the image never appears.       
    How do I close the box when I've pasted the link into it?
    (trying to sort the mobile side of things - obviously the old way works fine for anyone using full site, using an iPhone 6 if that makes any difference)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    John_P said:
    I'm probably being dim but when I try to put the link into the image box rather than just pasting into the post it won't let me.      
    I open the box, paste the link but can't close the box without it closing the whole post so the image never appears.       
    (trying to sort the mobile side of things - obviously the old way works fine for anyone using full site, using an iPhone 6 if that makes any difference)
    Paste the link then hit the <END> key.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    that happens if you put an invalid link in.  Some of the embed options do it, direct links ending in a valid image format work best
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    WezV said:
    that happens if you put an invalid link in.  Some of the embed options do it, direct links ending in a valid image format work best
    Jalapeno said:
    John_P said:
    Paste the link then hit the <END> key.

I've tried all of the pb options with code for IM, direct, HTML and IMG.      
    Using the direct code straight into the post works fine on full site and shows the link on the mobile version - so to fix that I'm open the image box, it opens up with a space saying image url,   I paste the code.     Then I'm stuck. I can't see <END> anywhere.  On my keypad it says GO but clicking the saves and closes the post.   So on a mobile I can't see any other way than pasting  the code straight into the post.