The HEAVIEST (weight) amp you ever owned and do you still have it ?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Jimbro66 said:

There is a head and cab on the bay thats been there for a good year or so, guy wants best part of £3k for it however so its still there: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Dual-Rectifier-Tremoverb-head-amp-new-cab-Waranteed-VERY-RARE-/282438581518?hash=item41c2a6bd0e:g:EIcAAOSw~OdVW2Bz
    As usual "Very Rare" means insanely overpriced. It will still be there in another year or more.
    They are genuinely rare, and definitely worth more than the combos - but not *that* much more. The heads tend to sell in the £1200 range and the cabs for about £600 I think - assuming you even want a 4x12".

The rest of the ad bullshit is hilarious...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2017
    Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 - maintenance costs over 2 yrs = zero. Back bills, damage to walls etc = ££££ 

Fender Concert (Rivera) head - that weighed a lot and a friend's Bad Cat 30 was monstrously heavy
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    ICBM said:
    Jimbro66 said:

There is a head and cab on the bay thats been there for a good year or so, guy wants best part of £3k for it however so its still there: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Dual-Rectifier-Tremoverb-head-amp-new-cab-Waranteed-VERY-RARE-/282438581518?hash=item41c2a6bd0e:g:EIcAAOSw~OdVW2Bz
    As usual "Very Rare" means insanely overpriced. It will still be there in another year or more.
    They are genuinely rare, and definitely worth more than the combos - but not *that* much more. The heads tend to sell in the £1200 range and the cabs for about £600 I think - assuming you even want a 4x12".

The rest of the ad bullshit is hilarious...
    What's the point of sellers saying this?
    "If you are viewing this then you know what you are looking at."
    Yes, after I read your listing title I do you douchecanoe.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    But it was hired to a VERY famous band whose name must not be spoken.
  • Halikus said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 Tremoverb. 100 odd lbs of amp.  So heavy the first time I put it in my car it crushed the boarding covering the spare wheel.  Had to go...
    I had an extended trial of a Tremoverb combo courtesy of one of the Denmark Street stores. To this day it remains one of the nicest sounding and most versatile amps I have ever used but heaving it in and out of the car boot brought back painful memories of my earlier Burman so it was handed back before any serious harm was done. That amp was also available as head+cab and I've half kept an eye out for one but they rarely show.

Seems daft, when you can get a dual rec and a trem pedal and be 95 percent there? 
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Seems daft, when you can get a dual rec and a trem pedal and be 95 percent there? 
    Not really - not even with a reverb pedal too. The Trem-o-verb sounds substantially different from the Dual Rec even with the reverb and tremolo turned off - more open and less aggressive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Why are Mesas so heavy? Something to do with transformers or something like that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why are Mesas so heavy? Something to do with transformers or something like that?
    No - surprisingly they're about the same as other similar amps. It's the speakers (especially on the models with EVs) and the cabinets that are much heavier. For example the Trem-o-verb chassis is about the same weight as a Twin Reverb's, which is nothing unusual for a 100W amp. It's the two V30s and the 3/4"-ply cabinet which makes it so much heavier.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Jcm 800 4104 from 1983. My first amp from about age 14 and is almost certainly responsible for the disc prolapse that required an operation. 
    Still love her though..
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    From reading this thread i would say the back breakingly heavy amps award goes to mesa, it seems if they made a plectrum it would take two guys to carry it.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited May 2017
    I haven't owned anything seriously heavy - my old Blackstar was 25kg, which is a lot for a 1x12, but I don't have anything approaching that any more. However, I did once borrow a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo from a mate of my dad's.

Fucking hell.

A 1x12 combo that weighs 37kg - aside from all the electrical gubbins, I assume the reverb tank was made of concrete or something, and the cabinet was made of some offcuts of a neutron star. Ridiculous thing. Far too loud as well, very difficult to dial in like all Mark-series Boogies are, and impossible to get a good sound out of at bedroom volume.

I have a Mark Five 25 now, which I prefer. It sounds better at sensible volumes and it doesn't snap my spine in half every time I pick it up.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Not really - not even with a reverb pedal too. The Trem-o-verb sounds substantially different from the Dual Rec even with the reverb and tremolo turned off - more open and less aggressive.

Huh, I always thought they were otherwise the same. Certainly what mesa marketing seemed to suggest iirc! 

Nevermind. :) 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    A Boogie MK4 with EV speaker ...so heavy i havnt used it for years ...using a little Redplate at 36 pounds in weight that i am more than happy with :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I traded in my Marshall VS8080 combo 'cos I was tired of my shoulder being put under strain. I got the significantly smaller Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 combo, only a few rehearsals later I'd worked out it was SIGNIFICANTLY heavier.  Rumoured to be well in excess of 80lbs - those Black Shadow speakers have monster sized magnets. They weren't popular, but I liked mine's sounds a lot. The knobs/switches were bloody complicated to get right if your settings were moved in transit - I used to need a crib sheet.  I chopped it into a head & 1x12 in the end, but reliability was a problem after that, still have it and it still needs to see the amp doctor (again).

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Huh, I always thought they were otherwise the same. Certainly what mesa marketing seemed to suggest iirc! 

Nevermind. :) 
    They did, but they're wrong - which is not the first time for Mesa ad hype ;). The Dual Rec is much more aggressive and focused than the Trem-o-verb, even with the T-verb set to 'Modern'. I A/B'd the two of them through the speakers of my T-verb combo at one point and the difference was really quite substantial.

• Peavey 5150
    Burman Pro 2000
    Mesa boogie Road King 
    These amps should come with a roadie,or a fork lift,or both !
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Marshall Dynamic Bass System stack. 7400 head. 7210, 7410 and 7115 cabinets. I only ever ran two cabs at a time. Shifting the big effers became much easier after I installed removable heavy duty castors. (The cabs could be pushed along with one finger!) Single-handedly lifting these lumps into the back of a medium-sized hatchback was always potentially injurious to health. Attempting to stack the 7410 on top of the 7115 would have been suicidal. Incredibly top heavy!

Eventually, the head and 7115 cab went to the bassist in "Britain's premier Muse tribute band". I still have the 7210, in storage, gathering dust.* The 7410 was snaffled up by a notorious gear collector on this very board. 

Nowadays, I run a tc electronic Staccato '51 and RS210. The RS115 is on my wish list.

* Sensible offers welcomed, folks! ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Bucket said:
    I haven't owned anything seriously heavy - my old Blackstar was 25kg, which is a lot for a 1x12, but I don't have anything approaching that any more. However, I did once borrow a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo from a mate of my dad's.

Fucking hell.

A 1x12 combo that weighs 37kg - aside from all the electrical gubbins, I assume the reverb tank was made of concrete or something, and the cabinet was made of some offcuts of a neutron star. Ridiculous thing. Far too loud as well, very difficult to dial in like all Mark-series Boogies are, and impossible to get a good sound out of at bedroom volume.

I have a Mark Five 25 now, which I prefer. It sounds better at sensible volumes and it doesn't snap my spine in half every time I pick it up.

37kg is half my bodyweight......

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3023
    The Mesa studio 22 is a pretty light weight combo so they have made amps that don't snap your spine. Just sayin'.

Oh and I forgot, possibly even heavier than my Twin reverb was a Peavey Megabass cab - 1x15 + 2x10 I think. Absolutely impossible to lug around and it didn't even come with Castor's originally. Insanely heavy and I have bad memory's of trying to push it up a bumpy footpath covered with 6 inches of snow.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I have a Blackstar Artisan 30 thats flightcased. I think its about 40 Kilo's in total.

I still have it, its a 2 man lift up stairs. But I really like the tone. Although Im thinking about a toaster head like an Orange or Victory.