The HEAVIEST (weight) amp you ever owned and do you still have it ?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Not the amp itself (JTM45 reissue) but the Marshall 4x12 1960ax cab is very heavy, certainly a two man job up and down stairs.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364

Oh and I forgot, possibly even heavier than my Twin reverb was a Peavey Megabass cab - 1x15 + 2x10 I think. Absolutely impossible to lug around and it didn't even come with Castor's originally. Insanely heavy and I have bad memory's of trying to push it up a bumpy footpath covered with 6 inches of snow.
    I think that one is 1x15"+2x8". It is stupidly heavy though, the cabinet is made of concrete or something.

Even more stupid, they did a 1x18"+2x10" one… that really is a monster.

But nothing compares to the Trace Elliot 1x18"+1x15"+1x12" cab. You won't find pics of them because Trace only made about ten of them way back in the early days, but someone I know had two of them. Utterly bonkers. I am not making this up :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:

But nothing compares to the Trace Elliot 1x18"+1x15"+1x12" cab. You won't find pics of them because Trace only made about ten of them way back in the early days, but someone I know had two of them. Utterly bonkers. I am not making this up :).

That reminds me of the 6x15 + 4x12 Magnatone cab that the bassist in my Uncle's old band had. 

I can't quite recall the details, but sometime in the late 80s he found it in a skip or something like that, it didn't have any speakers when he found it but he added some. 

That was insanely heavy, but pales in comparison to the Ampeg rig that was made for NAMM 2009, they got a single SVT preamp into 2 SVT poweramps running into a 32x10 cab, that must be competing with Neutron Stars in terms of weight. 
  • dcgdcg Frets: 230
    Ampeg V4 head; about 70lbs.  And then - unsurprisingly - Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special combo; crushing, off the scale weight (65lbs?).
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I've never come across an amp that was more of a bastard to shift than my Rhodes piano.
  • Boogie MK2A. Bubinga, Pre-EV Altec Lansing speaker with an even bigger magnet, monster transformers and louder than my 100w EVH. Tiny. Killer amp but massively impractical on so many levels.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited May 2017
    Mesa Trem-o-verb combo.

It was heavy when I first got it but I removed the 2 celestion V30 speakers that it came with and replaced them with 2 Electrovoice EVM12L and with the casters attached it now weighs 130 LBs.

I still own it and love it but If I need it moved in and out of cars up and down steps etc then I get other people to do it for me.  
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    kipple said:
    Mesa Trem-o-verb combo.

It was heavy when I first got it but I removed the 2 celestion V30 speakers that it came with and replaced them with 2 Electrovoice EVM12L and with the casters attached it now weighs 130 LBs.
    lol

Now that's taking things too far :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Stevepage said:
    Laney VC50. It put my back out often. No longer have it but it did sound great though 
    I've been tempted by them a couple of times, and then remember how much a VC30 weighs...