The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    VimFuego said:
    crunchman said:
    I reckon we've got another 10+ years of the Tories by which time the country will be unrecognisable. 
    It won't be good for anyone but top earners I bet.
    By 2022 people will be ready for a change (in a leftwards direction) if the Tories carry on the recent tradition of governments (New Labour included) who governed on behalf their mates in big business.

If there is a credible opposition in 2022 I could see the Tories getting voted out.  On the other hand, I'm not convinced that Labour or the Libdems will be credible.  As has been said above, they are both too obsessed with identity politics and not the plight of normal working people.

It will also depend on whether there is a second Independence referendum in Scotland, and what the result of it is.  Without Scottish MPs, the Tories would be in power for a generation without a major change in the political landscape.

with any luck this will be like '92, an election the tories won but ended up casting them into the dustbin of obscurity for 13 years.
    You're dreaming mate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4193
    edited April 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    randella said:

1) After all that agonising, I'm still centre-left, probably most closely aligned with the Labour party
    2) Your man Corbyn's a useless twat
    3) Telling people they know fuck-all unless they like Corbyn and *don't* think he's a useless twat is the single most destructive thing you can do if chasing votes for the left is your goal
    4) Plenty of people liked Elvis, he sold a lot of records.  He must've been doing something right.
    Did you even read my post ?  Talk about missing the point and taking the wrong end of the stick.
    1. Me too
    2. He's not "my man" at all
    3. That is not what I said at all and I don't have a goal here.
    4. I like Elvis, but again, you've missed the point.
    Wowsers.  Made an enemy of @Drew_TNBD and @Emp_Fab in one thread, bow down before my mighty powers
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's become fashionable to slag Corbyn off.  Anyone foolish enough to publicly defend him in the slightest will be ridiculed.
    People feel safe slagging him off as they can appear to know something about politics when they actually know fuck-all.  It's a safe bet to join in with the crowing as the chances of anyone challenging their "opinion" with real facts are very slim indeed, probably because the person/people they're discussing him with are also clueless and scared of being exposed as such, so the crowing continues ad-nauseum as everyone plays the safe card. 
    If you go posting a piece like that (which I read twice) it's going to elicit a response.  If that piece lumps together a whole demographic as people who know fuck-all crowing ad-nauseum, who all hold their opinions due to some perceived peer pressure, then it's only natural for someone who thinks they're part of that demographic to point out that they, at least, don't.

What *was* the right end of the stick then?  From talking to people on the left, the centre, and the right, I've yet to meet anyone who holds an opinion either way on Corbyn because the Mail told them to - there's always a reasoned response.

There is a media bias against Corbyn, no doubt - any leader, on the left in particular, has historically at some point been monstered by the press.  Bacon sandwich anyone?  The point is that it's all to easy to assume your average voter does what the Sun or the Guardian or the Telegraph tells them.  No doubt a lot do, but there are a lot who don't.  I just thought the argument needed a bit of balance.

I never did like Elvis.  The '68 Comeback Special was OK I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    randella said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    randella said:

1) After all that agonising, I'm still centre-left, probably most closely aligned with the Labour party
    2) Your man Corbyn's a useless twat
    3) Telling people they know fuck-all unless they like Corbyn and *don't* think he's a useless twat is the single most destructive thing you can do if chasing votes for the left is your goal
    4) Plenty of people liked Elvis, he sold a lot of records.  He must've been doing something right.
    Did you even read my post ?  Talk about missing the point and taking the wrong end of the stick.
    1. Me too
    2. He's not "my man" at all
    3. That is not what I said at all and I don't have a goal here.
    4. I like Elvis, but again, you've missed the point.
    Wowsers.  Made an enemy of @Drew_TNBD
    Aww bae! Why would you say that!?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15548
    Drew_TNBD said:
    VimFuego said:
    crunchman said:
    I reckon we've got another 10+ years of the Tories by which time the country will be unrecognisable. 
    It won't be good for anyone but top earners I bet.
    By 2022 people will be ready for a change (in a leftwards direction) if the Tories carry on the recent tradition of governments (New Labour included) who governed on behalf their mates in big business.

If there is a credible opposition in 2022 I could see the Tories getting voted out.  On the other hand, I'm not convinced that Labour or the Libdems will be credible.  As has been said above, they are both too obsessed with identity politics and not the plight of normal working people.

It will also depend on whether there is a second Independence referendum in Scotland, and what the result of it is.  Without Scottish MPs, the Tories would be in power for a generation without a major change in the political landscape.

with any luck this will be like '92, an election the tories won but ended up casting them into the dustbin of obscurity for 13 years.
    You're dreaming mate.

cool story

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBump said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Anyone who puts social justice in their key policy updates can go and fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I mean.. check this garbage out...

http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/policies

“We will never be a successful society in which everybody is able to achieve their potential until we have full equality for women. We will take action to remove the barriers in our society to women achieving full equality. We will tackle discrimination, sexism and violence against women and girls. We will not transform society overnight but working together we can take us further along the path to an equal society for all”.  

The next Labour government, under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, will take decisive action against sexism, discrimination and violence against women and girls. 

Absolute cancer. His policies are SJW tripe.

You think equality is tripe?

Do you believe women do not have equal rights in our society? 
    Women and girls are legally protected by equality legislation in this country, so they have access to equal rights.

"Modern" society sits on top of thousands of years of male dominance and female supression.  So are we a gender equal society?  No, of course not.  

Before you get all uptight and confrontational about that statement, I don't mean that all men are woman haters, or that all womem are victims in society.  But the nature of where we come from means that there are biases in our culture and society that often disadvantage women and girls.  There are many reasons for that, but it's disingenuous to claim it's not there.

We're better than we ever have been, but that doesn't mean that we have equality.  So yes, a political party that has social equality as a mission statement is a good thing in my book.

I disagree. Somewhat, at least. 

I believe this sort of rhetoric can actually damage areas of inequality that *do* need addressing. I also believe it contributes to the notion that women are perpetual victims. 

I am aware that, yes, there are some equality issues between men and women, but I'm aware enough to know it goes *both* ways. Neither should be dismissed. 

Minor thread derail and I'll say no more on the subject as it's not really that relevant to the issue at hand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    she's just doing what suits her and her global paymasters.
    the big hitters want ever more profit to line their pockets and if that means the workers having no rights,pitiful pay and dieing because they cant afford health insurance.,tough shit.
     alot of people are going to get screwed.
    some will have voted for it..

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    It's easy to slap off Corbyn because so much material on him, over many years, has been recorded as fact. 

Has he shared platforms with Islamofacists such as Hamas and Hezbolla?

Did he invite political representatives of a terror group to parliament shortly after they had bombed the government of the day.

Was he an ardent supporter of Hugo Chavez, who led his country to economic ruin

If that was an NHS CV it would be normal. It is not normal for the leader of the UK opposition.  
    As for Tim Farron he just made himself a big gay spike to sit on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Evilmags said:

An illiberal leader of what is supposed to be a liberal party. He's been trashed on Twitter.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

An illiberal leader of what is supposed to be a liberal party. He's been trashed on Twitter.
    God and politics.  Doesn't wash in this country, *always* comes back on you in the end.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    edited April 2017
    Do I vote for my self-interest or my conscience?

Drew_TNBD said:
    Aww bae! Why would you say that!?!
    Cry for help.
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

God and politics.  Doesn't wash in this country, *always* comes back on you in the end.
    The commons is a lot less secular than the general population. The guy makes Nick Clegg look like a genius. 
    octatonic said:

are they mutually exclusive? I see my self interest best served by having a nation where most people have enugh to be comfortable, are in stable and satisfying employment, where the education and healthcare system work, where the country is run for the benefit of as many people as possible, where the economy serves the needs of the population. That is what I will be voting for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Evilmags said:
    The commons is a lot less secular than the general population.
    Not many of those in the commons are in the limelight at any given time though.  Any God nonsense always causes a furore, just the last two weeks we've had May and her Easter eggs, and Farron's general weird beliefs.
    Evilmags said:
      The guy makes Nick Clegg look like a genius. 
    I was thinking that this morning watching TF on the breakfast news.  It's a shame Clegg's forever stained by the coalition, they could do a lot worse than have him back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    VimFuego said:
    octatonic said:

are they mutually exclusive? I see my self interest best served by having a nation where most people have enugh to be comfortable, are in stable and satisfying employment, where the education and healthcare system work, where the country is run for the benefit of as many people as possible, where the economy serves the needs of the population. That is what I will be voting for.
    So you are voting for the status quo?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Evilmags said:
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

The commons is a lot less secular than the general population. The guy makes Nick Clegg look like a genius. 
    this always surprises me, why are so many god botherers attracted to positions of power.

VimFuego said:
    Evilmags said:
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

this always surprises me, why are so many god botherers attracted to positions of power.
    It is weird to say the least. Religious lawyer doesn't strike me as my first pick of background experience for running a country either. To an extent you'd expect to see it in Anglican home counties Tories and west coast catholic labour, but it pops it's head up in all sorts of places. 
    edited April 2017
    quarky said:
    VimFuego said:
    octatonic said:

So you are voting for the status quo?

lol. I'll be applying facts to my decision and not voting triabally.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22189
    Evilmags said:

Poor Nick. By pissing on the F-TPA (the bill Clegg introduced to Parliament), May is wiping away the last remnants of the coalition.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    edited April 2017
    crunchman said:

This is one of the biggest political myths. The vote in Scotland almost never makes any difference to who forms the government in Westminster - just three times since WWII (1964, 1974 and 2010). The swing from Tory to Labour or vice versa which changes the government is down to what happens in England.

Evilmags said:

Did he invite political representatives of a terror group to parliament shortly after they had bombed the government of the day.
    To be fair, the same government was in secret talks with the same terrorist group before and after the bombing. While Thatcher was saying "we will never negotiate with terrorists", they were doing it.

Corbyn was just less deceitful about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom