The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    VimFuego said:
    you must remember that a lot of blairs popularity came from just how deeply unpopular majors government were (and that whole fat cat and sleaze thing). He remained popular by buying off the electorate with cheap credit and borrowing to fund pubic services, tax credits etc and was helped by a series of deeply flawed tory leaders and a tory party that were riven by the euro sceptic thing and were easy prey for the campbells of this world. It was easy for him to be popular. Cameron couldn't buy off the electorate with cheap credit. But despite waging a war against public services etc, he still got a majority.
    In hindsight a bit of toe sucking doesn't seem that bad compared to illegal wars and a systemic banking crash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    Fretwired said:
    New PoliticsHome research (June 2010) reveals that the Liberal Democrat leader receives a higher approval rating from the public than David Cameron.

In a nationwide survey, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg enjoys a clear popularity gap ahead of the Prime Minister, holding an approval rating of 17, compared to the David Cameron's rating of 11.

While the two men both attract the approval of 39% of the public, fewer disapprove of Mr Clegg (22%) than Mr Cameron (28%).

Cable and Hague top poll

Meanwhile, Business Secretary Vince Cable and Foreign Secretary William Hague enjoy the highest net approval ratings of any leading politicians.

While 40% of the public approve of Mr Cable, 16% disapprove, giving the Liberal Democrat's outgoing Deputy Leader a net approval of 24. Meanwhile, 43% of voters approve of Mr Hague and 22% disapprove, leaving the Yorkshire MP with a net approval of 21.

Another high-flier is Justice Secretary Ken Clarke with a net approval of 19. Altogether, the eight most popular politicians belong to the Coalition, and all but one of those with positive approval ratings.

Well that must have made Nick feel very happy. He lost an election, he finished third, his party had less MPs, but some opinion polls said he was 6% less hated than David Cameron. Thank goodness for popularity! 

That's like Sunderland getting relegated but still going on a victory parade because they were voted the most liked team by spectators. 

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    With respect he hardly did a Blair. Tony Blair won two three digit majorities for Labour. Cameron failed at attempt number one against an unpopular PM and ended up in coalition with the Lib Dems as Nick Clegg kicked his arse in the TV debates. He then scraped a small majority in 2015 which is partly why May has to go to the country again. If you think that's a good track record then fine.

It's a fucking good track record when you consider how his predecessors as Conservative leader managed. And that's the point you somehow seem completely incapable of registering in my words. I'm not saying he's a good leader per se. He wasn't. But within the confines of Torydom, he's a genius compared to the lot before him. 
    If you say so .. it's like the England football team .. win a few but ultimately mediocre.

Which would make Mr Clegg the political equivalent of Gibraltar: popular for being the underdog, sodding useless against top level opposition, in favour of staying in the EU, and gets totally forgotten by the end :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Heartfeltdawn said:

Which would make Mr Clegg the political equivalent of Gibraltar: popular for being the underdog, sodding useless against top level opposition, in favour of staying in the EU, and gets totally forgotten by the end :D
    …and thinks he's still very popular here, but in reality most people probably wish he would just piss off to Spain - since rather appropriately he's married to a Spaniard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Heartfeltdawn said:

…and thinks he's still very popular here, but in reality most people probably wish he would just piss off to Spain - since rather appropriately he's married to a Spaniard.
    Gibraltar is married to a Spaniard?? To be fair it does look like it's hanging off a big Spanish teat...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Bridgehouse said:

Gibraltar is married to a Spaniard?? To be fair it does look like it's hanging off a big Spanish teat…
    Economically it is, yes!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    With respect he hardly did a Blair. Tony Blair won two three digit majorities for Labour. Cameron failed at attempt number one against an unpopular PM and ended up in coalition with the Lib Dems as Nick Clegg kicked his arse in the TV debates. He then scraped a small majority in 2015 which is partly why May has to go to the country again. If you think that's a good track record then fine.

It's a fucking good track record when you consider how his predecessors as Conservative leader managed. And that's the point you somehow seem completely incapable of registering in my words. I'm not saying he's a good leader per se. He wasn't. But within the confines of Torydom, he's a genius compared to the lot before him. 
    If you say so .. it's like the England football team .. win a few but ultimately mediocre.

Clegg wasn't the PM though Cameron was and just like England's football team he was useless against top European opposition. Promised a lot but never delivered ... even had his arse kicked by Luxembourg.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Yep. No complaint with Cameron as England. Big money but never really delivered on the European stage. 

I imagine a lot of countries would have their arse kicked by Luxembourg if some financial truths ever came to light. 

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Theresa May's last 4 days have been one giant freak show. Now, all we need is a journalist who will report it.NOTHING on MSM nothing - so we’re OK with that GREAT BRITAIN ?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Genius ... :-)

AliGorie said:
    Theresa May's last 4 days have been one giant freak show. Now, all we need is a journalist who will report it.NOTHING on MSM nothing - so we’re OK with that GREAT BRITAIN ?

Not strictly true - she'll debate with Corbyn (I've heard it may happen) but she doesn't want to be on TV with all the little parties that can just make crap up as they won't ever be in power. Clegg did a great number on Cameron in 2010 (he'd scrap uni fees) and then found himself in power did a U-turn and then faced a voter backlash.

What is a three lock pledge? If it's the pension protection it's going so that's balls as well.

Lizzie Loudon, press secretary, announced she was leaving last year as she has a new job. She's only been working part-time and hasn't got the time to run an election campaign. This isn't news.

Which event did May ban the public from? I can't find any link.

Which photo-op were journalists banned from?

Nothing in the news should tell you something .. it's not news.

Fretwired said:
    Not strictly true - she'll debate with Corbyn (I've heard it may happen) but she doesn't want to be on TV with all the little parties that can just make crap up as they won't ever be in power. Clegg did a great number on Cameron in 2010 (he'd scrap uni fees) and then found himself in power did a U-turn and then faced a voter backlash.

What is a three lock pledge? If it's the pension protection it's going so that's balls as well.

Lizzie Loudon, press secretary, announced she was leaving last year as she has a new job. She's only been working part-time and hasn't got the time to run an election campaign. This isn't news.

Which event did May ban the public from? I can't find any link.

Which photo-op were journalists banned from?

Nothing in the news should tell you something .. it's not news.

That meme above is mostly a load of arse. We really do need a UK version of Snopes.  

The deselection of an MP is going to be about David Mackintosh. Deselection is what happens when you fuck up massively and £10 million disappears along with some dodgy campaign donations. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-39658994

Toxic man gets dumped non-shocker in other words. 

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    ok ok u've convinced me - she / they WILL get my vote.
    thanks guys
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Thanks man you know a vote for the Conservative party makes sense as Labour have no fuckin idea on anything whatsoever just ask Corbyn or Dianne Jabba Abbott. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    capo4th said:
    Thanks man you know a vote for the Conservative party makes sense as Labour have no fuckin idea on anything whatsoever just ask Corbyn or Dianne Jabba Abbott. 
    Like all votes, it might make sense for the party to get your vote but you really need to be confident that the party makes sense for you. It's not a beauty contest for the best politicians. It's going to elect a government with an agenda and policies that will affect the country. Even bad politicians can deliver good policies. 

This isn't anti or pro any particular party. I'm just trying to keep my focus on the policies, not the people. The people get changed all the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    AliGorie said:
    ok ok u've convinced me - she / they WILL get my vote.
    thanks guys
    I'm not trying to convince you. I'm looking at the quality of your accusations. Instead of posting shit memes, it'd make more sense to discuss the Conservative taxation strategy and how they're going to handle raising taxes on the electorate. 

capo4th said:
    Personally I would vote for an honest party whatever the colour. If this party stood up and said "Right, we're going to have to raise some taxes, we'll keep NHS spending as it is, education is going to find it tough, and this is how it is", I'd vote for that. Certainly the last election wasn't about manifesto points, it was all about slagging your rival. EvilTories, LabourDodgy, LibDemflops. This time, it has to be about manifesto points. Labour has been given a start with the way the media has responded to the Conservative taxation possibilities. 

Knowing Corbyn though, he won't use it and he'll be pictured doing the wanker handjive to the Queen or something. Or be filmed in a mosque on St George's Day pissing on the Union Flag. 

• PeterOnePeterOne Frets: 33
    capo4th said:
    Like all votes, it might make sense for the party to get your vote but you really need to be confident that the party makes sense for you. It's not a beauty contest for the best politicians. It's going to elect a government with an agenda and policies that will affect the country. Even bad politicians can deliver good policies. 

This isn't anti or pro any particular party. I'm just trying to keep my focus on the policies, not the people. The people get changed all the time. 
    But surely being a good politician counts as well? You might have the best policies in the world but if you're too incompetent to implement them properly, then it doesn't matter how good your policies are.