The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28746
    Is there any way to vote for an end to politics?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    No party in their right mind will just refuse to start the Brexit process. I think the best we (I) can hope for is to exit the EU but remain in the EEA, so in fact be subject to most of the EU's rules and laws and probably pay the same subs.

I have a mate who thinks we can just have a nice cushy trade agreement with no strings. Also presumably the EU will be happy to make this agreement nice and easy for us, and it'll be a bloody lovely agreement.

In some ways I think Brexit is actually clouding some other important issues - immigration, education, NHS etc. I think it's quite clear I should vote Labour based on the manifestos, regardless of what happens with Brexit.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sporky said:
    And who would run the country - the Queen .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28746
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    I think we could just get on with it ourselves.

(I'm well aware that I'm wrong!)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited April 2017
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:

Just look at this forum .... some people want to shoot chavs, ban feminism and equality (a woman's place is in the kitchen) and have a problem with Bigsby's. And then there are the cat threads ..... I'll take Corbyn .. :-)

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    Listened to the R4 interview this morning with Labour's Sir Keir Starmer. If Labour win they will immediately guarantee the rights of all EU citizens without expecting anything in return and will insist on access to the single market, no tariffs etc. In fact every benefit we have now. Nick Robinson suggested this was a wish list and what happens if the EU say NON. There would be a vote in the HoC and if the deal was rejected we'd remain in the EU.

So if you want to remain in the EU vote Labour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/general-election-2017-labour-leaves-door-open-keeping-uk-eu/

that message does not seem to have come across loud and clear until I looked at the link you posted..
    I wonder if this is because Labour is nervous about saying this too loudly for fear of upsetting so many traditional Labour voters that voted to leave..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • randellarandella Frets: 4276
    edited April 2017
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:

Just look at this forum .... some people want to shoot chavs, ban feminism and equality (a woman's place is in the kitchen) and have a problem with Bigsby's. And then there are the cat threads ..... I'll take Corbyn .. :-)
    You were doing OK until you mentioned Satan's own vibrato system.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22257
    edited April 2017
    Fretwired said:
    I think its more a realisation that the only chance of power is a coalition of the left - Labour, Lib Dem, Green and SNP. The only way to achieve this is to appeal to those who want to remain in the EU. Mandelson was on Newsnight to promote his pro EU strategy to depose up to 20 Tory MPs - he did say that he had support from some Tory MPs so I guess he thinks even if Labour loses he might be able to thwart Brexit with the help of some renegade Tory MPs.

The problem for the better off voter who wants to remain in the EU is do I vote Labour but take accept higher taxes on income, property and inheritance tax?

Where's this coalition of the left coming from then? Tim Farron has said no to it, entirely understandable after the way his party were burnt in the last one. Corbyn has said he will not enter into coalition with the SNP. The Green party have one MP to bargain with. That doesn't leave many parties to join together. 

Stop press: Momentum have agreed to go into coalition with all the Labour MPs who hate Corbyn D

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4666
    I want a party that does not have any infighting has a manifesto I get get behind is both socially progressive and economically competent.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I want a party that does not have any infighting has a manifesto I get get behind is both socially progressive and economically competent.
    Have you considered emigrating?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Communist Party of Great Britain.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4666
    Well I have lived in Germany before I could be tempted again
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    edited April 2017

I think it's quite clear I should vote Labour based on the manifestos, regardless of what happens with Brexit.
    I think it's quite clear you've already decided irrespective of the manifestos as none of them are published yet - there will many tons of hot air expounded by the media until they are released in a week or so.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Paul Nuttall's car crash press stunt ridiculed in the Times:

The new series of Doctor Ukip took an unexpected twist when Paul Nuttall, the latest incarnation of the Turn-Back-Time Lord, tried to set out a policy on helping aliens to integrate into society and ended up being pursued down a corridor by his greatest enemy.

“Interrogate, interrogate,” the press shouted. Mr Nuttall searched for a 1950s police box to hide in. He hadn’t realised when he regenerated from Nigel Farage, who had given up the role after so many years with the Cidermen, that he would face such dangers as a hack asking if he wanted to stand for parliament.

“In here, Doctor,” said one of his assistants, flinging open a door and pushing the leader inside. Mr Nuttall looked round the room. It seemed smaller on the inside than it had appeared from the corridor.

“See if they’ve gone,” he said after a minute. His assistant, the urbane Gawain, opened the door a crack. “Interrogate, interrogate,” the enemy shouted. “They’re still there, Doctor,” Gawain admitted.

“Why do you keep calling me Doctor?” Mr Nuttall asked. “Haven’t you got a PhD?” his aide replied. “It said so on your CV.”

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Where's this coalition of the left coming from then? Tim Farron has said no to it, entirely understandable after the way his party were burnt in the last one. Corbyn has said he will not enter into coalition with the SNP. The Green party have one MP to bargain with. That doesn't leave many parties to join together. 

Stop press: Momentum have agreed to go into coalition with all the Labour MPs who hate Corbyn D
    Mandelson's group with local agreements - that way Farron and Corbyn can say its not official policy (if it backfires) but something grass root supporters want to do. The Lib Dems are targeting St Albans and will need held from Labour and the Greens.

Fretwired said:
    Communist Party of Great Britain.
    Not true. Both members of the CP of GB hate one another.

:drumroll

edited April 2017
    Now this should make Corbyn plop himself. 

https://www.ft.com/content/d3ca4f4a-2915-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7

edited April 2017
    Now this should make Corbyn plop himself. 

https://www.ft.com/content/d3ca4f4a-2915-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7
    Behind a paywall for me .. what does it say?

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15636
    FT is behind a paywall.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Fretwired said:
    Mandelson's group with local agreements - that way Farron and Corbyn can say its not official policy (if it backfires) but something grass root supporters want to do. The Lib Dems are targeting St Albans and will need held from Labour and the Greens.
    What Mandelson is trying to do with Open Britain is a bit different. It crosses parties but it's not actual coalition as we saw with the Lib Dems and the Conservatives. If we're talking actual coalition between parties, then everyone's come out farting against it.