The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4262
    edited April 2017
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    I don't think apathy can be ignored at the moment. It seems like everyone is quite fired up (well, talking about politics at least) but in reality there are a lot of people who just feel like it's a group of elites with nothing in mind but their own career, regardless of party.
    I think both big parties are trying, in their own way to address that.

Over in the Tory camp, you've got May doing exactly what @ICBM correctly called out Blair for - pilfering the other side's policy in a bid to hoover up the centrist voters.  She's gunning for the 'everyman' vote, she's even been to Wales for Christ's sake.  She must think she's in with a shot otherwise she'd not have bothered like every other Tory leader for the last 80 years.  She was quick enough to get rid of the old Etonian Osborne after Cameron walked, and immediately started with the one-nation flannel.

The received wisdom is that she's gone to the country to strengthen her hand in the Brexit negotiations, but there's also a whiff of suspicion that she's trying to increase her mandate to get a grip on the loonies on the right of the party knowing full well that they're the ones who really do look like the money-grubbing elite (Johnson's unfathomable popularity among the anti-elite Brexit camp excepted).

We know all about Corbyn's anti-establishment comedy routine, no point going in to that here.

Thing is, to get back to your point: how believable are they?  I don't trust either of them, as far as I can see they're both driven by power and career.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    Fretwired said:
    Politicians can have beliefs but they should keep them private. If you want to preach God to the electorate become a priest. Blair was a practising Catholic, but I never heard him banging on about religion or saying abortion was a sin.

A reasonable proposal that doesn't apply in this case because Farron hasn't been preaching about his religion. Preachy about Brexit, not preachy about the beardy sky chap. 

Blair did indeed mention religion and the like of Matthew D'Ancona held Blair up as the most religious leader since Gladstone. His appearance on Parkinson was the highlight. However he did keep the God mentions to a minimum because he was told to do that. Alistair Campbell was an atheist and adamant that New Labour weren't going to do God. Campbell also stated in his diaries that Blair often read the Bible prior to taking decisions.

Now I don't have a problem with Farron as stated. We are seeing some evolution in society, the wonderful vote in Ireland in 2015 being a prime example. There is the clash of the old institutions against more enlightened thoughts. In Farron, you have this clash existing inside and so far I think he's got it fairly right. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

And maybe the tax payer has to fund political parties to ensure they're not just a front for Union bosses or big business.
    It is very doable. I spent two weeks with the Electoral Commission on a project discussing that very subject in 2008 and the consensus was that you could fund it through some gentle stripping of the royalty budget. The hard part would be deciding what constituted a party in order to receive funding as that would lead to a strong likelihood of legal challenges that could delay any election. Budgetary caps on spending and far greater transparency in where the cash comes from would at least not face such challenges. 

• randella said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    I don't think apathy can be ignored at the moment. It seems like everyone is quite fired up (well, talking about politics at least) but in reality there are a lot of people who just feel like it's a group of elites with nothing in mind but their own career, regardless of party.
    I think both big parties are trying, in their own way to address that.

Over in the Tory camp, you've got May doing exactly what @ICBM correctly called out Blair for - pilfering the other side's policy in a bid to hoover up the centrist voters.  She's gunning for the 'everyman' vote, she's even been to Wales for Christ's sake.  She must think she's in with a shot otherwise she'd not have bothered like every other Tory leader for the last 80 years.  She was quick enough to get rid of the old Etonian Osborne after Cameron walked, and immediately started with the one-nation flannel.

The received wisdom is that she's gone to the country to strengthen her hand in the Brexit negotiations, but there's also a whiff of suspicion that she's trying to increase her mandate to get a grip on the loonies on the right of the party knowing full well that they're the ones who really do look like the money-grubbing elite (Johnson's unfathomable popularity among the anti-elite Brexit camp excepted).

We know all about Corbyn's anti-establishment comedy routine, no point going in to that here.

Thing is, to get back to your point: how believable are they?  I don't trust either of them, as far as I can see they're both driven by power and career.

They're not. U turn after u turn and empty promises have led to a population who just don't like politicians. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642

Campbell also stated in his diaries that Blair often read the Bible prior to taking decisions.
    In my opinion Blair's religion is likely to be a major contributor to his messianic zeal for interfering in the Middle East, and one of the reasons he can't admit, probably even to himself, that it was a disastrously bad thing to do despite the overwhelming evidence that it was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Quite likely. Leaders who believe in God whose actions fly in their face of their religion are puzzling creatures. Take this article about the decoding of the human genome featuring words from then President Clinton. BC was an undoubted influence on Blair and I imagine the two must have discussed faith at some point. 

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/11/bill_clintons_surprising_faith_from_childhood_through_monica_lewinsky_the_real_story_of_the_presidents_belief_in_god/

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Under future pension plans, she won't be able to afford that walker, thus reducing the crime statistics even further. So we lower the deficit, reduce police expenditure, and reduce local authority expenditure (graffiti removal). WIN!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346

They're not. U turn after u turn and empty promises have led to a population who just don't like politicians. 
    U-turn after u-turn surely means you're going back in your original direction.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    Yeah, but they're doing it with the handbrake, knocking wheelie bins and pensioners all over the place.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Under future pension plans, she won't be able to afford that walker, thus reducing the crime statistics even further. So we lower the deficit, reduce police expenditure, and reduce local authority expenditure (graffiti removal). WIN!
    It was meant to be humorous ... the Tories won't pick on the old .. the triple lock is staying apparently.

May wiped the floor at PMQs with Corbyn and Farron .. the latter was particularly poor. I see her approval rating has jumped 10 points.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If the torise aren't on a 100 seat majority after the election I'll be surprised. Recent poll had them on 48% with 10 seats in Scotland. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    May is the right woman for the job. Corbyn is a dinosaur funded by trade union idiots who continually grind the country to a halt.

People need to stop voting like their parents did 20-30 years ago and make the right decision.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    capo4th said:
    May is the right woman for the job. Corbyn is a dinosaur funded by trade union idiots who continually grind the country to a halt.

People need to stop voting like their parents did 20-30 years ago and make the right decision.

Oh puh-lease.  When was the last time a strike caused the country to grind to a halt?  It sounds more like you're harking back 30 years.

The constant "strong and stable leadership" mantra is getting on my tits already, and we've still got weeks of this shit to wade through yet.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    capo4th said:

well, nothing you've said has convinced me to vote tory, so I'll just have to trust my own intelligence and judgement and vote according to my principles. Hope that's ok with you tribalists.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:

Sporky said:
    Yeah, but they're doing it with the handbrake, knocking wheelie bins and pensioners all over the place.

Just quoting genuine laugh out loud moments. Cheers, chaps!
    VimFuego said:
    capo4th said:

well, nothing you've said has convinced me to vote tory, so I'll just have to trust my own intelligence and judgement and vote according to my principles. Hope that's ok with you tribalists.
    Kipper lover ... ;-)

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:
    capo4th said:

Kipper lover ... ;-)

when in Whitby and all that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:
    capo4th said:

Kipper lover ... ;-)

when in Whitby and all that.
    I prefer good old fish and chips when I'm in Whitby ... the odd smoked kipper is nice though ...

scrumhalf said:

We can all do the U-turn ..... ;-)