Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best OD pedal in the world is still the.......

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

;-) Well in my world at least anyway - the Dano Transparent Overdrive MK1 version. Just bought a Pure Sky as I heard good things about it on here and elsewhere, and well it arrived today and it is indeed good, I was hoping this would replace my TOD which has the awkward knob positioning....but after A/B'ing 'em together its not gonna be taking the Dano's place on my board, i'll let it stay on with the Dano but no way is it taking its place....the Dano is just all round betterer, more gooder - lil bit more gain and a smoother around the edges type of sound. Just a more refined version if you will. The Pure Sky is definitely a great pedal for the money but the Dano beats it. 

This makes me wonder if the Timmy is as good as the Dano? Never tried one n all that but I does wonder - sounds pretty identical on the comparison demos on youtube though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Marshall Guv'nor Mk.1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    I got the timmy and also have the dano. To be honest, apart from the easier knob positioning, I'm not certain the "real thing" is any better, at least what I use it for- a (rhythm tone, so flatter mids) boost for a high gain amp.

the timmy (that i have... there's always that caveat that any differences might just be tolerances from one pedal to another) might be a little sweeter if you were going to use it as an OD, and it works with the drive knob on zero (whereas with the dano it sounds muffled on zero, even using as a boost i have to up the drive slightly to get a decent tone).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Marshall Guv'nor Mk.1

Sold my last one (I've had a few) a few months back...great pedal but not as good as the Dano TOD or even an SD-1 (IMO)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Dave_Mc said:
    I got the timmy and also have the dano. To be honest, apart from the easier knob positioning, I'm not certain the "real thing" is any better, at least what I use it for- a (rhythm tone, so flatter mids) boost for a high gain amp.

interesting - the Gearmandudes comparison seemed to say the same!

• Boss SD1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited April 2017
    Yeah. The dano seemed to have a bit more level boost on tap too, which is handy for what I use it for. There's a real growl to the dano that I really like- don't get me wrong, obviously the timmy sounds very, very similar (and has that growl , more or less, too), and also obviously if the timmy hadn't existed first the dano wouldn't exist either...

but yeah. the dano is an awful case design, though. D

EDIT: ^ Yep I love the SD1 for leads. Just they need to fix that bypass bleed, really. It seems to be fixed in the Daphon clone... another case of the "real thing" not necessarily being better...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    edited April 2017
    The TS808 model in the Helix ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    My issue with the DANO one is that it is a total clone of paul cochranes original design. Yes it sounds the same, but this is a case of a small manufacturer being ripped off by a big company. It did him a lot of harm financially, and tbh he's a nice guy who didn't deserve it.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • only one on your board at a gig . . . . 
    ANYTHING is better than nowt at a push....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ThorpyFX said:
    My issue with the DANO one is that it is a total clone of paul cochranes original design. Yes it sounds the same, but this is a case of a small manufacturer being ripped off by a big company. It did him a lot of harm financially, and tbh he's a nice guy who didn't deserve it.

Indeed. 

It makes you wonder why he never scaled up production - I wonder if there were waiting lists. If so, you're really asking to be cloned. Make the genuine product available, and priced right, and it'll sell. 

He's still making them though, so he's probably doing alright regardless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    Sd1 for me too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Can't choose between the Pork Loin or the OD-2 so I have both on the board.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6089
    edited April 2017
    edit
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    DOD 250 - it's just got the right mix of crunch and slight mid boost. Plus it only has 2 knobs so it's the easiest thing in the world to dial in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Boss SD-1
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Sd1 or OCD
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    sansamp gt-2
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    For me it's Paul Cochrane Tim ... Timmy on steroids ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22201
    siraxeman said:

;-) Well in my world at least anyway - the Dano Transparent Overdrive MK1 version. 

I heard it sounds really flat. I'd need proof before confirming this though.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22201
    cbellanga said:
    For me it's Paul Cochrane Tim ... Timmy on steroids ;)
    This. Best OD pedal ever.