Which LP would you choose

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 746
At similar prices, which one would you choose between a mint 1993 Orville by Gibson 1959RI and a mint 2004 Gibson Classic plaintop (both stock)?

____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Blind? Difficult! I'd be tempted with the Orville but if they're the same price if say someone is being hopeful with the Orville unless it's exceptional. You can always sell a Gibson but the Orville's have more of a limited appeal.

Check weight, that may be the deciding factor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    1993 Orville. I have a 1991, and I wuvs it. Not sure what the price is though... I paid £380 for mine in 2009. I'd expect to pay £450-500 for one these days.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited February 2014
    Personally I'd try them both and go with the one that feels, plays and sounds the best for me. I guess looks would have something to do with it as a deciding factor. But Orvilles have a good rep and I do like Japanese products.

If it was me I'd buy the Orville if it was 'the one', regardless of resale value. Because I faff about before buying weighing up all pros and cons what I normally buy I end up keeping. So I wouldn't reject any guitar on the basis of whether I could sell it easily or at least make my money back somewhere down the line.

You're not me so maybe that is a consideration. In which case potential resale of a Gibbo would probably be easier, if you envisage that as a possibility.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746

Drew_fx said:
    1993 Orville. I have a 1991, and I wuvs it. Not sure what the price is though... I paid £380 for mine in 2009. I'd expect to pay £450-500 for one these days.
    Is yours an Orville or Orville by Gibson? They apparently have different specs (nitro finish vs poly, PUP's). The price I've been quoted is more than double that...
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    edited February 2014
    Btw, playing both is out of the question considering that I'm in Portugal and one of the guitars is in France and the other is in the UK. I also don't gig so mainly play sitting down and so weigth is not a major deal for me.

My head tells me to buy the classic (good reviews, USA made, good re-sale value, good specs -except perhaps the PUP's) but the Orville is gorgeous and looks vintage (it is vintage I suppose)....
    ____
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited February 2014
    Assuming they all play nicely, and are in good nick, I would pick the plain top.

It's been a while since I played one but a recall that the pickups are pretty fierce, so might need swapping if that's not your thing.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    ObG 59 Ri
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    fnpt;155343" said:
    Btw, playing both is out of the question considering that I'm in Portugal and one of the guitars is in France and the other is in the UK. I also don't gig so mainly play sitting down and so weigth is not a major deal for me.

My head tells me to buy the classic (good reviews, USA made, good re-sale value, good specs -except perhaps the PUP's) but the Orville is gorgeous and looks vintage (it is vintage I suppose)....
    Better toss a coin for it then. ;)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    fnpt;155343" said:
    ..,don't gig so mainly play sitting down and so weigth is not a major deal for....
    I find LP's quite uncomfortable to play sitting down. A big semi feels much nicer!

Get a 335...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited February 2014

Iamnobody said:
    fnpt;155343" said:
    ..,don't gig so mainly play sitting down and so weigth is not a major deal for....
    I find LP's quite uncomfortable to play sitting down. A big semi feels much nicer!

Get a 335...

Lol I thought of that and there was one in the classifieds recently for a fair price...
    ____
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2014
    Gold Top with P90s so I sounded like these Mofos from t' olden times...

Gobshite Live in '78

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• orville by gibson 59ri will have a veneer top (thin layer 2mm figure maple over solid maple top on mahog body)
    gibson will be solid top (figured or plain)

they will be pretty equal in terms of quality and components other than that. ObG will probably have a 59 neck, gibsons likely to be thinner

need pics
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    edited February 2014
    These are the babies:

and you're right, the OBG is a veneer top.
    ____
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2014
    Very nice too   :)

• I'm on my phone and can only see the plaintop, but that looks luuuurvely!
  • japanguitars.co.uk prices are a little high in my opinion... would be cheaper to buy from japan direct and pay for shipping/import duty... BUT you don't have a guarantee of what you are buying, whereas Mark/villager/japanguitars is offering clear photos and model description.

how much for each in total?
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Get the Orville.

The Classic has those vile snot green inlays, fuck that.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    The Classic looks well, classic, the Orville has a weird, 70s Kay catalogue guitar sunburst.

Shallow I know, but for me a copy has to be fantastic to beat the real thing, buying that would be like spending AVRI moneyon a Tokai Tele. Probably a good guitar, but a bit "ho-hum" at the end of the day.