Just seen a cat killed.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited April 2017
    About a year ago I was driving home at night and a fox ran straight out in front of the car in front of me - the driver had no chance to avoid it and went straight over it. Luckily the fox appeared to be killed instantly. The driver - an elderly woman - was obviously very shocked and was driving very erratically afterwards, so when we both pulled up at some traffic lights shortly afterwards I got out and went to reassure her that there was absolutely nothing she could have done and shouldn't feel bad about it, but I'm sure she probably still did.

Evolution simply hasn't had a chance to condition animals to this new type of danger yet unfortunately.

I've lost two previous cats to cars as well. The current one is very nervous about them, which is a good thing. Hopefully he won't get complacent as he gets older...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    edited April 2017
    Iamnobody said:
    equalsql said:
    The poor thing was hit in the head and its body was jack-knifing all over the shop...
    Good description I've seen that before and couldn't believe it. Fortunately either the vehicle that hit it, or one that stopped was a work van. The moggy was swiftly finished off with a spade. 
    I've heard about it and seen animals bucking when shot by hunters. Apparently due to random nerve firing activity, but I've never seen that amount of 'gamboling' by any animal before. It was screeching and throwing itself around like crazy. The chap in the car behind me grabbed it and took it onto the pavement and got well scratched in the process. Man it was some ugly shit!
    Sorry to hear you lost one of yours @mudslide73 , l imagine that road must be a killing ground given the amount of traffic.
    I think I'll stick to dogs.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24387
    I hit a grouse (or pheasant) the other week.  Big bugger too.  Doing 70 up a dual-carriageway and it just walked out in front of me from the central reservation.  Less than a second between me seeing it and the impact.  Big bang.  Pulled over at the next services, blood all over the front foglight surround pushed in and twisted, feathers everywhere.  I felt awful - but there was nothing I could have done to avoid it.

I also saw the aftermath of at least two dozen small white birds having just been injured after their carrying basket came off a van.  That awful 'breakdance of death' as they twisted on the road will stay with me.

Some bastard went through our village last year too fast and hit a mare and her foal, that had come off the estuary marsh at high tide and were grazing on the verge.  Killed them both.  Bastard.  He should have been locked up.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Apparently, if you hit a pheasant you're not allowed to 'collect' it, but the person in the car behind can! Of course this might be an urban myth.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited April 2017
    frank1985 said:
    4-6 a week..you want to drive more carefully
    No silly, we have to bag them then they go back to base to be scanned for a chip then in a chiller awaiting owners instruction. 

have had a couple of dead badgers, they are just pure weight, I was stunned how heavy they are.
    So you're the grim reaper of roadkill? You must have a strong stomach.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    My sister one hit a pigeon on her motorbike. The daft thing decapitated itself on the bike screen and she was left with a messy headless bird on her lap on the A303.

I once hit a rabbit on my motorbike it was terrible. Really felt bad for the poor thing. Felt like hitting a breeze block too.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    gubble said:
    I once hit a rabbit on my motorbike it was terrible. Really felt bad for the poor thing. Felt like hitting a breeze block too.
    If you think the rabbit made a mess of your bike then a breeze block is definitely not a good idea. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I saw a Muntjac deer get run over once - horrible. I was following a car in the countryside, about 20m behind and it belted into the road right in front of him. There was a horrible noise of flesh and bone 'clattering' as it rolled out. Poor thing. Mind you, the taste of fresh venison .....

I wuz joking about the venison.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I ran over a pheasant in the countryside once. I was in a mini and it was like going over a brick. The next day I drove past again, and there were all these pheasants standing up on the verges, like they were watching, waiting for me. No Joke, It felt just like that scene in the Italian job when the Mafia come out on the cliffs. I think I topped the king of the pheasants or something.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    axisus said:

I wuz joking about the venison.
    As long as you didn't kill it, it's legal... (just saying. I wouldn't bother, myself.)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    axisus said:

No Joke, It felt just like that scene in the Italian job when the Mafia come out on the cliffs. I think I topped the king of the pheasants or something.

Brilliant, was one of them holding a little ring of flowers?