IPad software seems very cheap?

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6147
I noticed the price difference between Amplitube for iPads is massively​ cheaper than for the PC. Same with Bias software.
I was looking to buy a new Android tablet to replace the one l have to hand back to my employer. Was looking around the £250 mark.
A refurbished iPad Air 2 with 64g is about £360 from Apple. It makes me think that over the long term it would be more cost effective to go for this given what appears to be the amount of quality music plugins etcfor this platform at much reduced prices.

Any caveat emptor?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27662
    equalsql said:
    Any caveat emptor?
    Provided your expectations are realistic, then no.

By "realistic" I mean that - often, but not always - the iPad version of the software won't be as fully functional as the more expensive PC version, and/or the interface is obviously more limited.

But, actually, I find both of those things are positives rather than negatives.

I spent a fortune on all sorts of PC programs and interfaces over the years, all with the idea that one day I'd get around to doing some proper recording.  In reality, it was all too complex to just plug in and play, so I never really bothered too much.  On an iPad, it's generally "plug & play", much easier to use, and (of course) it's all completely mobile so you can plug & play anywhere rather than just within 6ft of the big PC, so I've done hugely more recording on an iPad than I ever did on a PC.

Also, the apps are so cheap that they can be disposable.  If you spend 4.99 / 9.99 / 19.99 on something that turns out not to be wonderful, then it's not a major loss.  That in turn means that you can buy stuff to just experiment with just for fun, which only increases the amount of time you spend playing ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6147
    Thanks @TTony. Your summary is pretty much what I was thinking. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"