any economists on here?

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
as title
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27636
    Sparkies - understand that.

Plumbers, car mechanics, gardeners, builders, even lawyers - understand that too.

But, Economists ???

(I was one, and have one of the longest unbroken subscriptions to the Economist magazine at 37 years long ...)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    TTony said:

(I was one, and have one of the longest unbroken subscriptions to the Economist magazine at 37 years long ...)
    mine's only been running for 21 years. Part of my job is economic history but I never trained for it. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27134
    Not an economist but a financial analyst. What's the question?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11942
    isn't evil mags one? 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Given the sheer amount of money we waste collectively on guitars I doubt anyone is an economist here.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    My son has been looking at degree courses and asked what job he could do with an economics one. Beyond teaching economics I've no idea. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    My son has been looking at degree courses and asked what job he could do with an economics one. Beyond teaching economics I've no idea. 
    I could make flippant jokes, 
    anyway I will be in the same position soon:

I'm starting to buy books explaining different careers and what is needed. My parents had no idea, and gave no advice, but ideally sixth-formers should be building up their own ideas on what courses are not favoured by employers, and then coming to you asking for verification.

Personally I had no idea, but our careers advice at 16 said i should be an actuary, which I foolishly rejected based on Monty Python caricatures of accountants. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    my eldest Son is going to do Economics and finance hopefully at Bristol. and i was at the open day yesterday for those students with offers, wide range of jobs available across most sectors and not only in Economics average starting salries range from £30000 to £47000 apparently some lower and some higher

very interesting day
    Speaking as an Economics graduate ... it's not the sort of degree that leads you into a specific career path defined by the degree.  It's more of a platform that you can use to move into a range of careers.

It gives a general understanding of the drivers of "business", demonstrates analytical ability, critical reasoning, able to assess lots of (often conflicting) information and reach a rational conclusion, needs clear and structured communication (lots of writing!) which keeps the reader interested, etc.

I've never been employed as an "Economist", but I've never been unemployed ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    my eldest Son is going to do Economics and finance hopefully at Bristol. and i was at the open day yesterday for those students with offers, wide range of jobs available across most sectors and not only in Economics average starting salries range from £30000 to £47000 apparently some lower and some higher

very interesting day
    take those figure with a pinch of salt I think
    Unis can be very deceitful about job prospects. Nevertheless, sounds like a good course to do

graduate-jobs.com estimates the average starting salary for graduates is £19,000 - £22,000.
    https://www.graduate-jobs.com/gco/Booklet/graduate-salary-salaries.jsp

ask yourself: if the average UK salary is £28k, why would you give a fresh graduate that much or more? They'd have to offer something unusual, and nowadays a degree is not unusual 

this looks like a good survey:

http://www.savethestudent.org/student-jobs/whats-the-expected-salary-for-your-degree.html#humanities

economics looks good at the top end of subjects, getting £28k

In fact, average salaries for grads being £30k-£47k is logically impossible, since we are told that 50% of 20-30 year olds are grads, and average salaries are £28k. If grads averaged £42k, then I assume that people in the same jobs with the same ability but more experience who are 10, 20 years older would be on double, so we'd have half the population on £84k, so then the overall average would be £50k+
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:

very interesting day

Careful with those claimed start salaries, universities have funny ways of getting those stats... I know what a lot of my friends are on and it's mostly below what the uni's promised! 

But yes, economics is a useful one. My mate works for an accounting consultancy in London, although he had to spend 4 years working in a cafe Nero and doing some travel volunteering in the meantime. 

As with anything, you get what you put in. 

What's more important than pretty much anything at university is enjoying and being passionate about the subject. Do that, you'll make it work regardless.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    I don't know if there are any economists on here, let's assume there are.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    TTony said:
    Speaking as an Economics graduate ... it's not the sort of degree that leads you into a specific career path defined by the degree.  It's more of a platform that you can use to move into a range of careers.

It gives a general understanding of the drivers of "business", demonstrates analytical ability, critical reasoning, able to assess lots of (often conflicting) information and reach a rational conclusion, needs clear and structured communication (lots of writing!) which keeps the reader interested, etc.

I've never been employed as an "Economist", but I've never been unemployed ...
    His best subject at college is music technology so doing an economics degree isn't that likely TBH but it's nice he's taking an interest. Having seen the relative poverty of having left wing liberal parents in jobs helping others he's quite keen on working toward doing something capitalist and buying a Ferrari. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    scrumhalf said:
    An Economist joke !!!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15560
    TTony said:
    scrumhalf said:
    An Economist joke !!!

can we alter the parameters of the joke after the fact to make it look like what happened is was we forecast?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2017
    TTony said:
    With that kind of training, it does make one wonder why Economists are usually wrong most of the time!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28505
    I reckon this thread is actually just a thinly veiled precursor to a massive cull of economists.

Also the selection criteria are iffy; what you've actually asked are "any economists willing to admit it on here?"
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Sporky said:
    I reckon this thread is actually just a thinly veiled precursor to a massive cull of economists.

Are they going on Ark B with all the hairdressers and telephone sanitisers?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Make your outgoings less than your income.

You're welcome.