'Cool' snobbery (rant)

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30930
    I would reply in detail but someone told me you're uncool, so I can't....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    cruxiform said:

I have close friends like this and I have to justify the music I post on my FB account because of their views.

These are not your "friends". Phuq 'em. If they need some sort of explanation, just repeat the sentence quoted above.

This isn't L.A. or something.  You don't need "friends" like that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I post whatever I want ( mainly clown pictures and horror stuff ), because it's what I like. I've obviously missed something because I'm not trying to be cool or fit in. I'll even that up by saying I don't dislike mainstream stuff, it's just not for me.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I love Taylor Swift, bite me lol in fact, I started listen to her music before most people even heard of her name in these shores. It's 

i am of the opinion that if you love something then you should have the courage of conviction to openly admit it, there is no shame in it.
    I'd rather not bite your lol thanks. 

But I agree, Taylor Swift makes decent pop tuneage, so much so that the viceroy of cool, Ryan Adams, made a whole album of covering one of her albums.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    I love Taylor Swift, bite me lol in fact, I started listen to her music before most people even heard of her name in these shores. It's 

i am of the opinion that if you love something then you should have the courage of conviction to openly admit it, there is no shame in it.
    I'm sure it wasn't your intention, so I apologise in advance, but....

That sounds like you're saying "I'm not ashamed to be uncool.... but in fact I'm cool because I liked her before it was uncool to like her".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    Philly_Q said:

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, so I apologise in advance, but....

That sounds like you're saying "I'm not ashamed to be uncool.... but in fact I'm cool because I liked her before it was uncool to like her".
    Short version, Facebook style: Epic fail.

I thought that now that everything was on-line and 'out there', all bets were off and everybody was free to be as uncool as they liked. Music snobbery is a young man's game at least it used to be when I was a boy.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Why do feel you need to justify yourself.

Just sack off Facebook it's just a time sink that makes you feel miserable.
    Word up Sage.

Does writing this make me cool?

Why would you want to post music you like on FB- who gives a shit?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited April 2017
    Reading this thread has made my head spin in a dizzying coolness vortex, where all the cool things are uncool and you run the risk of being too cool to like uncool things, but only if cool people find them cool, which makes you too uncool to be cool. Which is not cool dude. I think.

This elitism thing has been going on since the internet began. As for me, I'm not an elitist, but my music taste is better than yours.

Also I post music I like on FB quite a bit (maybe 2-3 times a week). You will like what I like and you will learn to like it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2563
    He he. I think I'm just getting older and starting to moan a lot more. About everything.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I love Taylor Swift, bite me lol in fact, I started listen to her music before most people even heard of her name in these shores.
    I didn't know that liking Taylor Swift was uncool. Most people I know seem to like her. Maybe I just have uncool friends.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    that evens happens here to some degree...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I didn't know that liking Taylor Swift was uncool.

Of course it is - she's successful. It's only cool to like artists who aren't successful. The minute they become successful because their music is actually good and a lot of people like it, they have sold out and hence nothing they do after that is cool, even if the 'early stuff when they were still good' still sometimes remains so - depending on how successful they become.

For what it's worth I am too uncool to be cool and like her early stuff - I'm just not really a fan at all, although there are a couple of songs I don't mind (both recent ones).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556
    one of the advantages of being as dogmatically uncool as me as what you like, much like the stopped watch of legend, evenually becomes cool again, and for a brief moment you are picked up by the hip generation as a cool thing yourself. Then you get to bask, however fleetingly, in the heat of your coolness.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    VimFuego said:
    one of the advantages of being as dogmatically uncool as me as what you like, much like the stopped watch of legend, evenually becomes cool again, and for a brief moment you are picked up by the hip generation as a cool thing yourself. Then you get to bask, however fleetingly, in the heat of your coolness.
    Tis true. I liked ABBA when I was 8, and never stopped liking them even when it was really not cool. Then Erasure made them cool again - so presumably they will eventually be uncool and there will be a backlash at some point.

I'm just waiting for Cascada to be recognised as the uber-cool ironic geniuses they actually were. I'll be the coolest person on the planet...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited April 2017
    57Deluxe said:

Sure. I've seen buying advice requests with replies like "you need to up your budget", etc.

Just do what you want.  Wave your freak flag high, as that cool guitarist once said.

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    edited April 2017
    I'm a extreme metal guy who has Lady Gaga tickets.

I know exactly how you feel.

Ps that Harry Styles song is pretty good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Taylor Swift?

Who does he play for?
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

57Deluxe said:

Yeah. I've seen some pretty snobby stuff about Nickleback and Phil Collins.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I just like music.

The truth is, in my line of work and my life in general I'm just not exposed to much pop music. It doesn't really happen.

If you look at what genres are most commonly bought, rock music is right up there:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/276213/genre-distribution-of-music-album-unit-sales-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

You wouldn't know it if you just followed mainstream music outlets though.