Using DPD for sending eBay items

What's Hot
dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
edited April 2017 in Off Topic
Morning all,

Just a note to warn against using DPD to deliver ebay items, or more specifically used items. I've just had a claim for damage on Laney Cub 12R I sold on eBay and used DPD for the courier. The amp arrived with the lower left corner of the cab split with the plywood showing through the tolex. I was really apologetic with the buyer and offered a £30 partial refund or to return the amp for a full refund. He accepted the partial and was happy I'd sorted it so quickly.

I then raised a claim with DPD giving listing photos and delivery photos along with proof of the paypal transactions including the refund and they rejected it on the basis that it was 'the claims team said with this being used this could have happened before the item was sent'. I can only assume from this that they will never honour claims on used ebay items?? One could also expect them to use the same logic on anything that you can't prove is new and in its original packaging.

So, now I'm £30 out of pocket for the refund and will never use DPD again.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22201
    Didn't have any problems with them when I got refunded on an amp that had internal damage on delivery. 

I'd have to see the packaging photos before coming to a conclusion that they were wrong. 

Incidentally, you charged £10 for delivery on your listing. How much did it cost you actually to send? 

• dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    It was nearer £18 but I was happy to take the hit on that. I ensured that I had the correct level of cover through DPD and also that the amp was not on their list of exceptions for items. There was also no mention of items being sold as 'used' through ebay being excluded.
    Did you book with DPD directly or go through a third party? 

It is odd as my experience was excellent. I'd booked with DPD through Interparcel and had a full refund within 28 days. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7348
    Couriers basically just seem to make it up as they go along. I've had one give me £220 when they managed to smash a hardcase and crack the neck pocket of a guitar, but another give me nothing in the same situation because they 'would never damage an item so it must have been packaged badly'.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
    I'd refuse to accept their declinature of your claim.

Your ad has photos of the amp.  The lower left corner doesn't look damaged in those photos.  Your description makes no reference to the damaged cab (because it's not damaged!), so you'd have been leaving yourself open to a full "item not as described" charge back claim by the buyer if it had actually been damaged before sent.

If they still fail to accept your claim, ask them what their formal complaints procedure is, and that of their underwriter.

At some point, they'll maybe accept that paying you £30 (or whatever you're claiming) is a lot cheaper than the hassle of continuing to deny responsibility and processing a formal complaint.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    It was direct through the DPDLocal site which allowed me to drop off at a shop rather arranging collection. I initially contested their decision through web chat but all I got was 'All I can say is that it's what the claims department have decided' and no offer of reevaluating the evidence. I'll phone them on Tuesday when I'm back at work and try again. 

I have taken the approach of complaining on Facebook thinking a bit of public exposure might change their minds but looking on there just shows how many people also have issues and get no response.
    I would say that keeping at them is the way forward if this site is anything to go by. 

http://www.urbancottageindustries.com/blog/dpd-damaged-parcel-sue-legal-action/

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27633
     I'll phone them on Tuesday when I'm back at work and try again. 

I'd not phone them - I'd want to ensure that all communication was recorded.  That includes getting transcripts of any web chats.  If their web chat service doesnt offer post-call transcripts, then I'd not use that channel again.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    Tony ^ has the best approach I think. You have photos showing it was undamaged before it was sold. eBay wouldn't allow you to misdescribe the item without any comeback. Ergo DPD must have caused the damage. They're taking the piss; if they won't compensate you then threaten (or take) legal action.