SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - (New Price Drop) Gibson Custom Shop True Historic Select 58 Les Paul UK #UK850001

What's Hot

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    thebreeze said:

I don't get the "tad ambitious" thing either.  If it's £6,500 in the shops and it's advertised at £5,750.  Any offers around £5,500 or even above £5,000 are going to at least be considered I imagine.  What's wrong with that?

Two points. First, if you went to GAK and offered them £5,750 for one of those guitars, I bet they'd take it. Second, a reliable rule of thumb for second-hand guitars is two-thirds of the new price.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    thebreeze said:
    This is a very cool guitar imho.

I hate the lol'ing of FS threads too.  I raised the issue earlier in the year:  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/94200/classifieds-and-loling/p1

I don't get the "tad ambitious" thing either.  If it's £6,500 in the shops and it's advertised at £5,750.  Any offers around £5,500 or even above £5,000 are going to at least be considered I imagine.  What's wrong with that?

Dude there was 1200 quid of vat at least in that price, tad ambitious is correct despite it being a lovely guitar.  Sadly i think they sell nearer the 4700 mark which is a massive loss.

Market shit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just seen a house at a local estate agent that I like, however 1.3 million seems a little off...must remember to ring them on Monday and give them an oral lol, that'll bloody teach em.

Other than wishing you well with your vintage hunt, and the sale of this guitar. I have zero comment to make on this sale thread.

How very un-modern of me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreeze said:

I hate the lol'ing of FS threads too.  I raised the issue earlier in the year:  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/94200/classifieds-and-loling/p1

Dude there was 1200 quid of vat at least in that price, tad ambitious is correct despite it being a lovely guitar.  Sadly i think they sell nearer the 4700 mark which is a massive loss.

Market shit
    I agree the vat issue is a total bummer on high end guitars but a more realistic asking price will lead to a more satisfactory transaction for both seller and buyer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    Some proper rule number one flouting going on here, I have nothing to add other that very best of luck @racerjimmy, I hope you manage to get your dream guitar. I did some horse trading/swapping/dealing not so long back to purchase my dream guitar and it was every bit as good as I could have hoped. Hope you get the Goldtop and it's the LAW that you post up some pics here - there are a couple of vintage guitar lol-ers that hide here too, but we who know, just ignore them
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Some people posting and lolling this thread should learn some manners and re-read the bloody rules.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    Brize said:
    thebreeze said:

Two points. First, if you went to GAK and offered them £5,750 for one of those guitars, I bet they'd take it. Second, a reliable rule of thumb for second-hand guitars is two-thirds of the new price.
    thebreeze said:

Market shit

I won't comment after this because I think these discussions can derail FS threads.

These kinds of guitars aren't two a penny.  The two-thirds "rule" is just a convention which really seems to serve keeping prices low.  If you want to buy a guitar like this you might have to search a long time to get one.  Any saving on buying it first hand would be attractive.  The VAT thing is a red herring in my eyes (but the difficulty for the first buyer and seller and I can see that).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:

These kinds of guitars aren't two a penny.  The two-thirds "rule" is just a convention which really seems to serve keeping prices low.  If you want to buy a guitar like this you might have to search a long time to get one.  Any saving on buying it first hand would be attractive.  The VAT thing is a red herring in my eyes (but the difficulty for the first buyer and seller and I can see that).
    Sorry, but that's just uninformed - the two-thirds rule is borne out by the market.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    miserneil said:
    Some proper rule number one flouting going on here, I have nothing to add other that very best of luck @racerjimmy, I hope you manage to get your dream guitar. I did some horse trading/swapping/dealing not so long back to purchase my dream guitar and it was every bit as good as I could have hoped. Hope you get the Goldtop and it's the LAW that you post up some pics here - there are a couple of vintage guitar lol-ers that hide here too, but we who know, just ignore them
    Wis'd.       I don't get it - we should be discussing what a beautiful guitar it is,  some of the posts remind me why some of my guitar playing friends won't sign up here.  

It must be heartbreaking to sell it so I hope the GT is amazing. 
    I'd love this but I'm putting my spare cash towards more PA gear at the moment.  I hope you get a good price and manage to grab the GT.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I think the Lolling of a high end guitar in the Classifiieds (by 6 different people and possibly for 6 different reasons) is interesting and worthy of discussion.
    But not in the ad itself.
    I wish jimmy luck with the sale.

@racerjimmy: If I were you I'd take out the OX4 pickups and sell them separately because they'll add little, if anything, to the sale price of your guitar.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
     The guy can set whatever price he likes - if someone wanted one of these and had the cash ready then they would buy it at that price without any dicking around. So many tyre kickers and know it alls here. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  •  The guy can set whatever price he likes - if someone wanted one of these and had the cash ready then they would buy it at that price without any dicking around. So many tyre kickers and know it alls here. 
    Very true, but given the genuine sense of community on here it might be remiss of people not to pass helpful comment on price which I believe would help to achieve a timely sale. This is the reason after all it is in the classifieds and it sounds like the clock might be ticking on the availability of the LP GT. I agree with comments above that lols aren't helpful in this situation and seem like poking fun at what is after all a beautiful guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
     The guy can set whatever price he likes - if someone wanted one of these and had the cash ready then they would buy it at that price without any dicking around. So many tyre kickers and know it alls here. 
    And also many people who have bought and sold a lot of high-end guitars and know the market very well as a result.

For the inexperienced, I can understand why the idea of 'a saving over the new price' would seem to make sense, but the second-hand market just doesn't work like that. There is a very small audience for guitars over £3k, and an even smaller number of people who are able to pay cash to a private buyer (as opposed to using a credit card or taking finance with a shop).

I agree wth @Christophe that, if the buyer needs to make a quick sale, constructive feedback on the price may be more of a help than a hindrance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited April 2017
    Brize said:

I agree wth @Christophe that, if the buyer needs to make a quick sale, constructive feedback on the price may be more of a help than a hindrance.

Then send a pm instead of ruining the ad.   

It's very clearly in the rules that it's not acceptable.     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    John_P said:

Then send a pm instead of ruining the ad.   

It's very clearly in the rules that it's not acceptable.     
    I originally responded to a question about why the original post was attracting LOLs, which had already undermined the ad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 969
    @racerjimmy  ...I apologise if my question undermined your ad...it wasn't my intention... it was a rhetorical question which was not meant to attract answers from members supporting the action in an underhand way..  maybe the mods could delete all irrelevant comments so you can get on with selling a fantastic guitar..?
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    skaguitar said:
    @racerjimmy  ...I apologise if my question undermined your ad...
    Just to clarify, @skaguitar, I was suggesting that the LOLs had already undermined the ad, not your comment.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    miserneil said:
    Some proper rule number one flouting going on here, I have nothing to add other that very best of luck @racerjimmy, I hope you manage to get your dream guitar.
    +1
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    skaguitar said:
    maybe the mods could delete all irrelevant comments so you can get on with selling a fantastic guitar..?
    +2