New Fender Mustang GT

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    MattFGBI said:
    I'd recommend trying one out for yourselves before making a decision. 
    Probably fair comment Matt!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Is there a Mustang GT Floor on the way I wonder?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited May 2017
    To be fair, first time using a new amp on a gig is always a learning curve. 

I'm still feeling my way with my new Champion 40 on gigs and that's a modern amp with far less complexity than the Mustang GT. The main reason for buying a Champion 40 is the good power to weight ratio which accommodates my disabilities.

So what, he pressed the wrong footswitch that probably raised a few eyebrows in the audience. I bet that did his head in more than the amp.

I agree with Shane about most youtube video reviews saying it's 'wonderful it's marvellous' but I think there's a danger in posting up a critical review too soon. His Mustang GT might have had a fault. His Blues Junior, which he exchanged it for, was faulty (two of them, I think, then he exchanged that for a guitar!?). Some buyer's remorse in there methinks.

The out of phase issue could have been speakers incorrectly wired. I think he could at least have tried exchanging it for another Mustang GT before posting such a caustic review, especially with his influential youtube presence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2017
    mbe said:
    To be fair, first time using a new amp on a gig is always a learning curve. 

I'm still feeling my way with my new Champion 40 on gigs and that's a modern amp with far less complexity than the Mustang GT. The main reason for buying a Champion 40 is the good power to weight ratio which accommodates my disabilities.

So what, he pressed the wrong footswitch that probably raised a few eyebrows in the audience. I bet that did his head in more than the amp.

I agree with Shane about most youtube video reviews saying it's 'wonderful it's marvellous' but I think there's a danger in posting up a critical review too soon. His Mustang GT might have had a fault. His Blues Junior, which he exchanged it for, was faulty (two of them, I think, then he exchanged that for a guitar!?). Some buyer's remorse in there methinks.

The out of phase issue could have been speakers incorrectly wired. I think he could at least have tried exchanging it for another Mustang GT before posting such a caustic review, especially with his influential youtube presence.
    Good post - I'd say that's fair comment - have a wis!    And when I said it put me off the GT, let me rephrase that - it's put me on my guard...but I would always try out gear myself and not rely on other reviews before coming to my own view.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Fender seem to be having a few problems with quality control of late.

I played at a jam last night and the other guitarist has finally resolved his six-month ordeal after buying a new Hot Rod Deluxe. He's had to take three faulty ones back to the shop before finally getting one that's working properly. He plays in a working band so you can imagine the grief he's had to put up with.

Really no excuse for that. HRD is a tried and tested amp that features on many pro bands' riders.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Voxman said:
    If i had been shane id have taken a pro jr instead of a blues jr
    He didn't take either the Blues Jr was DOA so he bought a guitar.
    Pro junior is a decent amp; a blues junior isn't the worst amp ever made...but its friggin' close!  And at least the Mustang GT200 worked!! 
    Exactly this!  The idea of exchanging a Fender amp you don't like the sound of for a Blues Jr is a proper facepalm moment.  The BJ is notoriously poorly-designed, and if you add poor manufacturing quality to the equation (both the ones in the shop were faulty *from new*) it's just a recipe for disaster.

That review of the Mustang was scathing.  Not seen anything quite as negative before.  Bummer for Fender.  Manna for Boss.
    mbe said:
    Fender seem to be having a few problems with quality control of late.

I played at a jam last night and the other guitarist has finally resolved his six-month ordeal after buying a new Hot Rod Deluxe. He's had to take three faulty ones back to the shop before finally getting one that's working properly. He plays in a working band so you can imagine the grief he's had to put up with.

Really no excuse for that. HRD is a tried and tested amp that features on many pro bands' riders.
    Unforgivable.  Looks like Fender are properly dropping the ball on QC right now.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    This is why I got a Roland JC-40 rather than a digital amp. I wanted something light that took pedals well and was stereo. I didn't want tons of built in digital effects.

As far as I can tell, a digital combo that works as a pedal platform doesn't exist yet.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    mellowsun said:
    This is why I got a Roland JC-40 rather than a digital amp. I wanted something light that took pedals well and was stereo. I didn't want tons of built in digital effects.

As far as I can tell, a digital combo that works as a pedal platform doesn't exist yet.
    There is a yt vid of a guy using a katana 50 combo as a clean platform with good quality drive pedals. It did nowt for me and had solid state stiffness stamped all over it.
    My Orange Crush 35RT is another analog amp that is perfect for pedals,  but at 25 lbs it's too heavy for me unfortunately. I like it better than the Champion 40 at 19 lbs, but that's why the Fender is my grab and go for jams.
    mellowsun said:

There is a yt vid of a guy using a katana 50 combo as a clean platform with good quality drive pedals. It did nowt for me and had solid state stiffness stamped all over it.
    Which vid is that? I'd be interested to have a look at it. As long as you don't overload the front end, in my experience the Katana reacts very well to pedals, drive or otherwise.  I guess videos don't really tell the whole story, you really need to try it yourself to see what's what. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Thing with pedals is that they push those glass-bottles into lovely harmonic bliss - that's really hard to replicate in a SS or modelling amp I would imagine. What you get is probably more of the pure pedal sound and less of the amp doing its thing (I.e. reacting to the push).
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Been watching Shane's stuff for a while, was interesting seeing these videos having recently bought a Code and not even remotely considered a Mustang (of any type).

One key point really stuck out, a Demo (say Andertons) is very very different to a review (like Shane).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Thing with pedals is that they push those glass-bottles into lovely harmonic bliss - that's really hard to replicate in a SS or modelling amp I would imagine. What you get is probably more of the pure pedal sound and less of the amp doing its thing (I.e. reacting to the push).
    On the higher end modelling stuff they just react like you would expect. 

Low end modellers hate all kinds of drives.

Solid state amps without a nice drive of their own tend to work better with "Amp in a box" pedals, but ones with a decent drive channel can work with TS pedals etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    andyp said:
    Been watching Shane's stuff for a while, was interesting seeing these videos having recently bought a Code and not even remotely considered a Mustang (of any type).

One key point really stuck out, a Demo (say Andertons) is very very different to a review (like Shane).
    Andertons demos are all about flogging you stuff, add in that chapman buffoon and boring pete and its not great. On the other hand i find lee watchable and wish he would do the demos on his own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    andyp said:

Andertons demos are all about flogging you stuff, add in that chapman buffoon and boring pete and its not great. On the other hand i find lee watchable and wish he would do the demos on his own.
    Funny that, because I could listen to Pete play all day while I think Lee is a bit of an insufferable twat.

I will admit that Petes jokes are shit though.
    fftc said:
    andyp said:

Funny that, because I could listen to Pete play all day while I think Lee is a bit of an insufferable twat.

Petes jokes are the ones which bobby davro threw away
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    fftc said:
    andyp said:

Petes jokes are the ones which bobby davro threw away

I'd find it amusing to know what these guys are actually like, at times even in the videos when something isn't right they seem to get quite cross quite quickly.  I'm not sure being a junior member of their team would be much fun on a stressful day!

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1004
    I am interested in the mustang gt 40 I have to say but am also looking at the boss katana e.t.c also.

For what I want the amp to do though (ethereal chimney cleans and weird synth type stuff) I think the mustang will be the one I go for (will be playing at home so don't need loud). I did have the original mustang 1 and liked it.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• LevLev Frets: 228
    I think these are definitely try before you buy amps, there seems to be quite a few unhappy punters