New Fender Mustang GT

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    I am interested in the mustang gt 40 I have to say but am also looking at the boss katana e.t.c also.

For what I want the amp to do though (ethereal chimney cleans and weird synth type stuff) I think the mustang will be the one I go for (will be playing at home so don't need loud). I did have the original mustang 1 and liked it.

I don't think any amp can do that!

Send a small child up there.  ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Chuffola said:

Having said that, I've had the use of a Spider V 60 for the last couple of weeks and I'm really impressed with it. There are eleventy billion amps and fx and most aren't great. But some models are fantastic.

Quoting myself here... 

I just bought a Katana (wanted a new toy) and having had use of a Spider V for a couple of weeks to play with, after the initial fun factor had worn off, it was very average. Some nice amp models but too much to tweak to get a sound you like. 

I had a go on the GT100 and GT40 in Dawsons - neither were particularly inspiring and while it's difficult to get a feel in a shop, both sounded like multi-fx through a hi-fi. 

The Katana, though, is just a great amp. 

Anyone thinking of getting a modeller - don't go beyond the Boss. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I have the mustang iiv2, and tried a GT and katana. Katana hands down. 

My review of the gt? Gash. A massive backward step from the v2s 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Yep, Katana is a winner, definitely.  The biggest bargain in guitar gear today.  Everyone is starting to say that the Mustangs sound as if the speakers are wired out of phase.  60 Cycle Hum reckon it sounds loads better if you use the line out.  If that's the case it's a mega blunder by Fender.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    This one is quite funny - at one point he tries to EQ the katana to sound as bad as the Mustang to compete his shoot out

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Ok, so someone wanted a 'real world' review of these. Here's one.

Having owned various amps in the past (most recently a Hot Rod Deluxe and a ''68 Deluxe Reverb Reissue), I had a try on one of these and bought the GT200. The 100 would have been big enough but the cost difference when you factor in that the footswitch comes included with the 200 is such that the 200 becomes the sensible choice.

My irritation with my previous Fender amps was that you had to play them fairly loud to get a decent sound out of them. Plus if you adjusted the sound (say you played with different volume drummers), it would affect the tone. 

I was totally cynical of digital modelling amps. Like everyone else, I was pretty much of the view that if it wasn't 60 year old technology i.e. tubes, it would be rubbish.

How wrong I was.

This amp is absolutely fkg incredible. It comes with a bunch of presets, 90% of which are rubbish but it is seriously easy to tweak the existing good ones and/or make new ones and they sound IMHO utterly brilliant. Yes, they have had glitches but Fender keep on updating the software (which is dead easy to do on your amp) and it is getting better and better.

I have about 30 'go to' tones, all of which are grouped in setlists that you can create and name (again, a piece of cake to do) for my different guitars. Obviously, as the output from say a Les Paul and a Strat are completely different, you can adjust these and then save these accordingly i.e. all my Les Paul settings start with 'LP' and are bunched together in a numerical order.

Besides the brilliantly easy functionality, the main thing is the sound and it totally nails it. This is a Fender product so if anyone is going to know how to recreate the Fender sound, it's them. The '65 is the highlight but there are seriously lots of usable models on there. Add whatever effects you like or use your own pedal board - great either way. 

It;s not just the Fender amps that sound good - the '60s British' is a Vox sound and is wonderful. Plus you can get the sound you want at whatever level you want it to be. And then control it from your phone - not sure why people don't rate the app as I find it works perfectly.

Seriously, try one of these amps. For the money, they are incredible. I would challenge anyone using their ears and not their sense of nostalgic yearning to tell me that these amps do sound anything other than brilliant.

There endeth my two-penneth worth. And no, I don't work for Fender.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Lev said:
    This one is quite funny - at one point he tries to EQ the katana to sound as bad as the Mustang to compete his shoot out

Please tell me that this guy isn't really this surprised by the fact that an amp with a 12" speaker sounds way better than one with two 6.5" speakers....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Hattigol said:
    Lev said:

Please tell me that this guy isn't really this surprised by the fact that an amp with a 12" speaker sounds way better than one with two 6.5" speakers....
    I doubt that he understands the difference. Not many bedroom players do.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Lev said:

He's probably more surprised that spending just £10 extra on an amp versus the gt40 gets you something so much better sounding and feeling. 

Why would it have a pair of tiny drivers if it sounds like arse?