Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I hate you all.
    Who cares? 
    I do.
     Ah no one important then.
    What do you do again? Apart from act mean on the internet I mean. Huh? Can't quite here you there over the sound of inner-tears, calm down love!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I hate you all.
    Who cares? 
    I do.
    What do you do again? Apart from act mean on the internet I mean. Huh? Can't quite here you there over the sound of inner-tears, calm down love!
    Nice the forum bully who leaves speakers corner for a brief jaunt to tell everyone he hates them is complaining someone else is being mean.  Dead on.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I hate you all.
    Who cares? 
    I do.
    Nice the forum bully who leaves speakers corner for a brief jaunt to tell everyone he hates them is complaining someone else is being mean.  Dead on.
    Here gal. You need to see this:

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited May 2017
    juansolo said:
    Adam_MD said:

He used Madbeans layout which is the one thing you can copyright.  If he had bothered to pay someone else to do a layout for him I wouldn't care so it's exactly the same as me using one of your pictures and passing it off as my own instead of trying to take my own version of that picture that's the whole point of why people are pissed off.
    ^ This.

Sassafras said:
    RaymondLin said:
    @RaymondLin ;;;;;;

Caveat emptor? Really? You think that makes it OK? Behave. 
    You behave.

i don't buy VW either because they have ties to Nazi.

look at all those people driving VW, bunch of racists.

Right?

It is just a pedal, do people not have anything else to do other than bring this up every time this guy's name pops up? It's like they are on a mission.  Move on, get a life.  Don't like it, don't buy it.  He lose a sale, what's what you want isn't it? But wasting time to actively trying to make him lose more sale seems like a nasty human trait, vindictive, bitter, for reasons unknown as I bet these people have not even given JHS a penny themselves.

im sure you think you are doing some service to people in the dark but to me it comes across as vindictive crusade, it's only a stupid metal box.
    I quite agree. I was selling crack and heroin at the school gates and all the other parents complained and tried to get me banned even though not one of them had bought any of my products. It's just soooo unfair. Where's the humanity?

Good point, well made. Say, there's a fella called J, Collingridge (award winning photographer), who's known to sell his pedals every now and then on here. He's pretty adamant that he's a good guy and that everyone else is just persecuting him. Maybe Ray would like to buy some second hand JHS pedals from him...?
    You read all my posts but not the last one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited May 2017
    Ah, responded before I saw that.

Appols...

That said, it was a very small post in comparison to your usual output ;)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I think he said his company doesn't do the creepy cult shit anymore.

The word choice was very careful. Almost as if we has separating himself from his company. So his company doesn't support creepy shit anymore, but no mention of whether he does.
    No.

The statement was:

"I have never persecuted or discriminated against anyone, including the LGBTQ community, and I personally do not support or donate to any organization that does".
    That's different to quotes I've seen.

Just thinking aloud about the often repeated evangelical "not homophobic because I'm not scared " - I wonder if donating to gay cure organisations is thus not discrimination but simply altruism to cure people.

edited May 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

The word choice was very careful. Almost as if we has separating himself from his company. So his company doesn't support creepy shit anymore, but no mention of whether he does.
    No.

The statement was:

"I have never persecuted or discriminated against anyone, including the LGBTQ community, and I personally do not support or donate to any organization that does".

Just thinking aloud about the often repeated evangelical "not homophobic because I'm not scared " - I wonder if donating to gay cure organisations is thus not discrimination but simply altruism to cure people.

I don't know what quotes you've seen but this page:
    https://www.jhspedals.com/jhs-supports-human-rights/

Lays it all out quite clearly.

You might want to go and read that Oatmeal comic again dude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Does anyone else here run a youtube channel about pedals every week? It's been two years now, they are trying to keep things fresh and not put on the same loop of information every few weeks. It's a show about pedals and other gear, and it's free to watch. They don't owe us anything, and can do what they like. In situations like Shoegaze-gate, they are very honest about what their experience is, and in reality it was just an excuse to play with fuzz and reverb. 

I love the exaggeration here too... 'proper blubbing'? 
    I humbly suggest Juan Alderete and Brian Wampler. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Then I stand correctly and I agree with you both.
    That took some balls man. 

Nice one. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

No.

The statement was:

Not really.

I want to be wrong on this. Fewer bigots is always good.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

No.

The statement was:

Not really.

I want to be wrong on this. Fewer bigots is always good.
    Not really what?

In my estimation you are wrong on this. I've searched and searched and can find no actual evidence of bigotry. Just zealous forum SJW bitch-hunting.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi I have had a spare 20 minutes to watch a bit of this now and from that excerpt what I don't understand is if he is the total douche that he has been portrayed by the Internet.

why do decent engineers like Keely and others mentioned near the beginning even bother working with him in a collaborative way.

he by his own words is not an engineer at best a tinkerer.

seems if he was the Judas the internet has made him. I would not want my company to be associated and if he asked me for help on a circuit I would of told him no and perhaps more if the stories are all real.

just an observation, I really do not want to be championing someone I have no real interest in but also dislike the way at times people are shredded by internet trolls.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    Hi I have had a spare 20 minutes to watch a bit of this now and from that excerpt what I don't understand is if he is the total douche that he has been portrayed by the Internet.

why do decent engineers like Keely and others mentioned near the beginning even bother working with him in a collaborative way.

he by his own words is not an engineer at best a tinkerer.

seems if he was the Judas the internet has made him. I would not want my company to be associated and if he asked me for help on a circuit I would of told him no and perhaps more if the stories are all real.

just an observation, I really do not want to be championing someone I have no real interest in but also dislike the way at times people are shredded by internet trolls.

Outright scam artists Vertex pedals are still in business and "respectable" companies like Reverb are still running puff pieces on them so it's hardly surprising to me that JHS are still going strong.

A quick trip to TGP suggests that the (massive) US market is incredibly forgiving of even the dodgiest characters. You can only really decide for yourself --- the evidence is that "the market" doesn't really care enough about this kind of thing for it to stop it. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Just to play devils advocate one more time I understand the market is the market etc etc.

but engineers from my experience are a different breed a product we distribute when it was launched 6 years ago several companies jumped in and cloned the control board which at the time the product was as close to a game changer as you can get including the gen1 mistakes and still 6 years down the road its like daggers at trade shows from our guys even though they have pushed on through 4 generations of product and are the market leader. 

Even now the Chinese are still cloning the g1 circuit complete with mistake rather than reverse the new G4 circuit and each new product meets massive disdain and a good amount of ridicule.

maybe the pedal industry is completely different but it struck me as strange as  Keely etc have built their own following and without really knowing seem to be well enough respected for what they do.

anyway don't want to dwell on something forever.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    FWIW, and I'm feeling a bit parrot-like with this one.

He was part of the DIY pedal scene as a noob, relied on a lot of help from the peeps there, then stole directly from them when it was expressly put in their T&Cs of their layouts that they were not to be used for commercial purposes. He also was passing this work off as his own from everything he had learned 'randomly swapping things in pedals'. When the reality was that they were layouts taken verbatim, without permission from other DIYers. Which, for what it's worth, is actually illegal (one of the few things that is...), but being hobbyists, isn't something he's in danger of being sued over. So, he got away with it other than a few of us DIYers having bad blood about it. This is the same as someone stealing your music or artwork and selling it on as their own.

With the likes of big manufacturers out there stealing things willy nilly and selling them for buttons brings an attitude of 'well everyone's doing it', I can understand the attitude of many here. But the difference is they do their own layouts and they didn't fuck over the people that helped him out when he was a clueless newbie. That smarts more than a little bit.

The whole church thing I couldn't give a fuck about. He openly admits to being a member of that particular church for 3 years in that press release. Whether he actually is a religionist or not I don't know, but I do know he leaned heavily on the US P&W scene a lot in the early days to shift his wares. If that's now biting him in the arse, well, it couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Watched the whole thing after seeing this thread although i've been trying to ween myself off TPS as it increases my GAS!! 

Couple things i noticed:-

1. From watching this it seems obvious JHS Josh doesn't really know what he's doing and uses people around him to get what he wants, he mentions this quite a few times throughout the episode

2. Stating you want to make a pedal/pedals that sound horrible doesn't work for me......??!  I think he was trying to be funny but i feel he really made himself look a bit amateur and that their pedals are truly thrown together with no real experience behind, no wonder JHS keep doing updates of their pedals every year, think they're all on v4's now. Get it right the first time!

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I think he needs to get out in the Sun a bit more  B)
    I don't disagree with the pedal theft angle btw - completely agree with JuanSolo and others.

Just don't like the 'he's a bigot/homophobe' smear angle, because there is no evidence. Present evidence or silence your weary minds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I don't disagree with the pedal theft angle btw - completely agree with JuanSolo and others.

Just don't like the 'he's a bigot/homophobe' smear angle, because there is no evidence. Present evidence or silence your weary minds.
    I don't know if anyone has said that he himself is a bigot or a homophobe, have they? I mean, he's never denied he was a close, involved member of IHOPKC, he said so on his Facebook page. That connection right there is enough to put people off. A lot of the inbetween grey area stuff gets very cloudy with a lot of people saying lots of different stuff, from both sides of the arguement. Fact of the matter is, IHOPKC are a horrible cult (if you can't find evidence of that, you aren't looking) and Josh and some JHS employees have, in the past (he no longer sells his music through their web store or leads their worship band), been directly involved. End of story. Make your own mind up.
    Dungus said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

I don't know if anyone has said that he himself is a bigot or a homophobe, have they?
    A lot of the forum talk does stray into that territory, yes.