SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Selling on commission through a shop Question

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614

may be planning to do a bit of a gear shifting, I don't have a lot of gear but some of it is nice stuff. I could sell via ebay etc, but cos I live 1 mile from the middle of nowhere it would be tricky for folks to come a try, I figure that people may take a punt on buying unseen something in the region of £100, but not closer to a grand (in one guitars case), so I was wondering about selling via a shop on commission, but dont know how this works. There are 2 big shops down here, Mansons and Project Music, both in Exeter, but do all shops sell on commission? How much do they charge? etc?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Last time I enquired (not from those shops):  20% commission, and deliberately vague about it all.

i.e.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614
    ooof, well, good to know.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    edited May 2017
    Mansons take 40% 

Not sure if Project take any on commision to be honest
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    Mansons take 40% 

fah

kin

ell

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    VimFuego said:
    stonevibe said:
    Mansons take 40% 

fah

kin

ell

I live 10 minute walk from there and know them all really well, but damned if I would do a commission sale there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    well, that's that idea scrubbed then. They're worse than estate agents, must've all been lawyers in previous lives.

South West guitar Boot Sale?

I need to clear a load of guitars.
    stonevibe said:
    South West guitar Boot Sale?

I need to clear a load of guitars.
    hmmm, that's an idea. I'm a bit shaky on dates tho, I'm not in a desperate rush to sell, and may only be selling a few items, or all of them, need to decide so couldn't commit to any dates yet.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited May 2017
    15% if you're really lucky but usually 20%+
    Edit: Yes, plus VAT

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    Does it matter what the commission is?

If you'd accept 1000 for your guitar and a shop sells is for 1250 and keeps the 250 then it is win/win. Come up with a figure your happy with and give them a call :)

I've sold one thing on commission at a local indy and is was 25%. The shop sold it for way more than I could get second hand and I came out quids in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    20 - 25% (plus VAT) is probably the norm. Some shops are happy to do it - no stockholding cost and (if it's something interesting) it adds to their stock range.
    Elwood said:

If you'd accept 1000 for your guitar and a shop sells is for 1250 and keeps the 250 then it is win/win. Come up with a figure your happy with and give them a call :)

I've sold one thing on commission at a local indy and is was 25%. The shop sold it for way more than I could get second hand and I came out quids in. 

if that's the case then all well and good. This was why I was asking the question as I know nothing about how it works.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It depends. My local store Coda used to be good and honest. However, don't forget that they will charge VAT.

Why not try on here? People can vouch for your honesty .. not sure about your sanity though ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    It depends. My local store Coda used to be good and honest. However, don't forget that they will charge VAT.

Why not try on here? People can vouch for your honesty .. not sure about your sanity though ... ;-)

I probably will put them on here 1st, and the strat would probably be OK, you know what you get with them, and easy to post in its hardcase. I may sell my larry as well, not sure I'd want to trust that to post and I'd imagine anyone would want to try it before buying it.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    15 - 20% commission is fairly typical. 

If the percentage quoted for Manson's is true, I interpret that as a euphemism for, "please, take your ------- guitar away from our ------- shop." 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    I've used CCGX a few times - highly recommended. I think 20% ish is about right. 
  • thetomskthetomsk Frets: 98
    What is it you're selling? I among many others have bought guitars used at that kinda price bracket as long as I'm familiar with the brand neck profile etc...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11623
    tFB Trader
    One of the things that changed a few years ago is that the rules about VAT changed regarding selling on comission . 
    HMRC want 20% VAT on the whole sale price and not just on the profit bit that the shop takes, which is what many shops used to get away with in the past.
    The 20% VAT which equates to 16.7% of the total selling price disaapears to the government.
    The shop obviously wants and needs to make a reasonable amount of money - covering wages , rent , heat and ligt etc so maybe 20% is probably about right.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I sold an expensive Custom shop bass via the Bass Gallery a few years ago. They asked me what I wanted, they added what they wanted on top. It was there for a few months then someone made an offer, which I accepted. The BG were happy, the guy who bought it was happy and I made £400.

On the downside I kind of miss that bass ....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24846
    edited May 2017
    Elwood said:

If you'd accept 1000 for your guitar and a shop sells is for 1250 and keeps the 250 then it is win/win. Come up with a figure your happy with and give them a call

Absolutely.

I sold a PRS through Mark @Guitars4you and got at least what I would have with a private sale - but with none of the hassle. Shops can take card payments - and sometimes p/exs - and will have a website which receives 1000s of hits from genuine buyers.

The more valuable the guitar, the more sense selling through a store makes to me.