Fecking iTunes (pt 157)

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
edited May 2017 in Off Topic
When did the bloody thing stop downloading content, and just loading pointers to iCloud content ?  (Copied some recently purchased albums to my phone - none of them will play without internet connection).

Not a lot you can do about it on the London Underground ! p

Useless feckers !!!!!!!
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I share your pain. I now use a combination of iTunes, Amazon Music & Dropbox - between the 3 of them I can usually find some music when I'm on the Jubilee Line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    It's a pain. You can make it download if you click the ... icon at the top right of the album. Not much use without a decent connection though.

All this on the go streaming stuff will be great one day where there's connection everywhere and data plans are unlimited. Until then, having files is still preferable so this default behaviour is annoying
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Is there any way to "un" default it ?

Feedback
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4142
    The introduction of Apple Music has finally made me give up on iTunes. I don't mind the desktop app (on Mac at least), but the iOS app has become too frustrating to stay with.

I've switched over to Spotify Premium which, while not perfect, is a substantial improvement.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Jalapeno said:

Looks like there's an option in settings - music - automatic downloads, though that might just apply to stuff added via Apple Music, I'm not sure
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    If only Spotify worked properly with CarPlay then I could completely ignore iTunes for the rest of my life. Alas, until then, I'm stuck with it. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7484
    --> Spotify.

You can tell the desktop client to include any folders where you have existing stuff, and this (or indeed any other Spotify tracks) can be told to download to your mobile.

imho Spotify's maturity in this market shows a lot (I've used Apple, Amazon, and Google Music too) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Jalapeno said:

Would that be fault it, or de-default
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72474
    That's why I don't do streaming or cloud-based music… I use iTunes but I almost exclusively use it for ripping from CD (to mp3, not AAC) so I can use the files where and how I want.

I still buy about 99% of my music on CD - I'll only download if there's no CD option (or at least conveniently) and I would never rely on something that I don't physically hold.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited May 2017
    I've got far too many CDs already. As soon as I download them (as mp3s) to iTunes on the computer they're backed up to 2 non-Apple devices.

It's the phone syncing is the issue - got half a dozen "zombie" albums now - might wipe the lot & start again.

Feedback
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946

I don't do all that cloud bollocks either only for a few Numbers and Pages documents, never music. I use iTunes on Mac and turn off Apple Music. My iTunes has my MP3s in it all stored on hard drive. I don't buy a great deal of music through iTunes but if I do I retag it and always 'hard' copy it to phone or iPad for listening so the iPad and Phone always have MP3s on too.

Old fashioned and not thoroughly modern I know but that's just how I run my setup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2561
    I don't stream either, I prefer my music on the phone. I think my brain is old fashioned in that respect. My current iPhone is 128gb and roughly 40GB of that is music. It took me a long time  to abandon my old iPod classic but as I prefer bluetooth headphones ands speakers now I had no choice but to do that. I just wish there was a click wheel addon for the iPhone :D
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27628
    Jalapeno said:
     got half a dozen "zombie" albums now
    I hadn't realised that they'd released that many.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.