Phoney accents!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited May 2017
    ^ ^ Norman Wisdom'd.  I watched about 20 minutes of the London 2012 Olympics coverage, until about the 50th time somebody said "Briddish".

I've also been in a meeting with well spoken people and one used the phrase "it's gedding bedder".  I asked if he played for Bayern Munich.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    I realise that I'm leaving myself open to pisstaking here, seeing as I spent the first 18 years of my life with a strong scouse accent, which has mellowed since I've spent all my adult life in London.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12366
    Loads of shit indie singers, sensitive guitar balladeer types doing a shite middle class London, but with a slightly "I'm from the streets" twist at the moment in music. Sounds generic as fuck. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    My lad reckons I change my accent slightly depending where we are. In the Black Country I apparently revert to Enoch and Eli talk and he can't understand me. Ay it!

I like singers who use their own accent but don't mind the American thing either. Weller does both iirc.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have a Manchester accent which my London born daughters find hysterically funny in a "poor daddy...he doesn't know how to talk proper" kind of way.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6501
    Despite growing up in the Black Country and hearing the accent often mistakenly mimicked as a "Brummy" accent....I've never heard anyone who could do a decent impression of the Black Country accent, including people from the Black Country - something weird happens when we try to do our own accent that just comes out wrong. Even Julie Walters....her accent, when she puts it on, sounds nothing like genuine

edited May 2017
    Oh and as a student in Newcastle upon Tyne, I always struggled to buy a Coke because my version of the word's central vowel sound is so far removed from the Geordie version. 
    They were listening out for Cork, I was probably asking for a C-oh-uck

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    I couldn't give a toss what accent a singer uses, as long as they perform well. 
    I do hate the notion that singing in one's own accent is inherently better though. It works for some but not all. 
    Ozzy singing Paranoid in a brummy accent? No thanks! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Despite growing up in the Black Country and hearing the accent often mistakenly mimicked as a "Brummy" accent....I've never heard anyone who could do a decent impression of the Black Country accent, including people from the Black Country - something weird happens when we try to do our own accent that just comes out wrong. Even Julie Walters....her accent, when she puts it on, sounds nothing like genuine
    I know someone who went to school with Julie, she still turns up to the reunions apparently. As this was a relatively posh girl's school she may not have had that much of a local accent to begin with.

My kids seem to find people on the telly with strong West Midlands accents quite funny whilst completely oblivious that's how they sound to other people. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    jellyroll said:
    I have a Manchester accent which my London born daughters find hysterically funny in a "poor daddy...he doesn't know how to talk proper" kind of way.
    i hope you've taught them how to correctly pronounce castle and monkey.

My kids starting saying Carstle after watching Peppa Pig....it got swiftly dealt with and now they talk like normal people again

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    It's easier to sing with a slight American accent. It's all about the vowels. You'll find most of the 'singers' that use thick mockney accents barely sing so much as talk in tune.

Although Elton John's Nashville accent is bordering on ridiculous.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My current bugbear is singers, particularly in the last 5-10 years. A fake American accent I can deal with, in fact any fake accent from one of the countries of the known world is OK by me.

What I cannot stand is made-up accents with weird vowels and shit, like oo-look-at-me-i'm-a-fucking-fairy-in-the-forest type stuff. It mostly seems to be shit acoustic songs, sometimes coolio acoustic versions of past hits. Oh, look how different I am, look how different I am! As different as the rest of them, dear.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    jellyroll said:

My kids starting saying Carstle after watching Peppa Pig....it got swiftly dealt with and now they talk like normal people again
    Peppa Pig was responsible for my daughter asking for a "plarster carst" every time she cut herself, or bumped her knee, or one of her toys did. Mind, in my house - as a Black Country chap living with a Brummy - I do have to fight the good fight for "laugh" instead of "larf". (I've never understood why it's LARF but BATH not BARTH to a Brummy...)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    edited May 2017
    That's a north/south brummy thing. Up here it's deffo "laff". In Soleehull it's "larf".

I used to work at Holly Lodge (previously Smethwick Hall) @EricTheWeary . It looks like a UFO since they did it up. Certainly not posh now!! 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    jellyroll said:

Surely Dr Hamster's distinctively northern pronunciation of "munkeh" is authoritative, as being the vet, she is the in-world expert on all matters pertaining to animals?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    In many ways it's sad that very regional accents are being lost ove just a couple of generations, but on a positive note that means people have been able to travel further than the next village and presumably have better lives for it.
    The fake Jamacan accent (even by some Jamacans) from white middle and working class youngsters is a real worry, the incorrect grammer and missing words in sentances is as bad as text speak. Standards old boy, standards.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    That's a north/south brummy thing. Up here it's deffo "laff". In Soleehull it's "larf".
    I have it on the authority of my ex-Midlands family that Solihull is "the posh end".
    ESBlonde said:

The fake Jamacan accent (even by some Jamacans) from white middle and working class youngsters is a real worry,
    innit, bruv

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I used to go to school with a guy named Joel (he was the year above me), and he was born and bred in our town (Bishops Stortford), and spoke just like any other local person.

He left to go to college, and I didn't see or speak to him for a year. The following year, I also left to go to college, which turned out to be the same college he was attending. I didn't know he was there.

So one lunchtime, im sitting watching a group of lads playing basketball, and 'Blimey'...I thought, that's Joel. I didn't realise he came here. A friendly face, I thought. When they finished playing I walked over to him to say hello. He looked at me, looked back at his friends and said "Whos this guy", in some really bad New York accent.

Already long story made slightly shorter; turns out he'd convinced all of his 'Basketball friends' he was American, and I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe he thought it made him cool or something?

Twat.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10286
    Nikko said:

I used to go to school with a guy named Joel (he was the year above me), and he was born and bred in our town (Bishops Stortford), and spoke just like any other local person.

He left to go to college, and I didn't see or speak to him for a year. The following year, I also left to go to college, which turned out to be the same college he was attending. I didn't know he was there.

So one lunchtime, im sitting watching a group of lads playing basketball, and 'Blimey'...I thought, that's Joel. I didn't realise he came here. A friendly face, I thought. When they finished playing I walked over to him to say hello. He looked at me, looked back at his friends and said "Whos this guy", in some really bad New York accent.

Already long story made slightly shorter; turns out he'd convinced all of his 'Basketball friends' he was American, and I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe he thought it made him cool or something?

Twat.

Should have gone all Robert De Niro on him.

A few "you talkin to me?" would have thrown him right off.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom