Phoney accents!!!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    Nikko said:

I used to go to school with a guy named Joel (he was the year above me), and he was born and bred in our town (Bishops Stortford), and spoke just like any other local person.

He left to go to college, and I didn't see or speak to him for a year. The following year, I also left to go to college, which turned out to be the same college he was attending. I didn't know he was there.

So one lunchtime, im sitting watching a group of lads playing basketball, and 'Blimey'...I thought, that's Joel. I didn't realise he came here. A friendly face, I thought. When they finished playing I walked over to him to say hello. He looked at me, looked back at his friends and said "Whos this guy", in some really bad New York accent.

Already long story made slightly shorter; turns out he'd convinced all of his 'Basketball friends' he was American, and I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe he thought it made him cool or something?

Twat.

That's a good story. It would win any "most hopeless bullshitter" thread easy doors. I wonder how he decided to do it - or if he did it for a bit and couldn't stop.

When I was little I met a kid on holiday who did a similar thing but he was only 7ish and from Nottingham. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Sporky said:
    Rocker said:
    She spoke in a phoney Mid Atlantic accent
    How do you know it was phoney?

Good question @Sporky.  In Ireland the term 'Mid Atlantic accent' is a derogatory comment on how a person speaks.  Everyone knows what a real accent is and sounds like.  You are a child of your place, your townland or town, your county.  But to attempt to disguise this with a generic speech sound, this is what a Mid Atlantic accent sounds like.  Phoney in other words.

I also think that people who have had extensive dental reshaping work whlile in their teens, have great difficulty in speaking 'normally'  Their mouth is a different shape to when they learned to speak so that might explain it.  I have no proof of this of course, it is something I will ask my dentist at my next visit.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    mid -Atlantic ?………..Lloyd Grossman 
    that's a strange Bostonian accent …………considered very posh to other Americans
    It's their Jolly Hockeysticks Made in Chelsea  accent