Tube Town Reactive load boxes - heads up.

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
edited June 2017 in Amps
Just a heads up - I've been in discussions with Dirk at Tube Town regarding losing the speaker simulator part of their Tone Hound kit, basically so it's a reactive load box only a la Suhr / Aiken amps which supposedly accurately recreates the impedance curve of a typical speaker cabinet with a line out for silent recording into a DAW using impulse responses.

He's completed the 50 watt / 8 ohm one and it's for sale on their site at 79 euros - called the Tonehound Light.  16 ohm and 100 watt models are to follow, and I'll be putting my order in when they are.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Kits/Power-Suckers/Kit-TT-Tonehound-Light::7996.html

Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Interesting. I might try and put one of those together.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Interesting, I would be interested in a 16ohm one!
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited May 2017
    I've got both of the 8 and 16 ohm versions of the big brothers to these with the cab sim module. They're great. I tend to use the 16 ohm version to load my JMP Marshall which then feeds a TC G-Major2 and onto a stereo valve power amp.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    The price has been reduced to 79 Euros for the 8 ohm 50 watt one (initial post updated) and the 100 watt ones are now available too.

I've just ordered a pair of the 100 watt / 16 ohm ones for the AC30's.  I'll review them when they've arrived and been assembled.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    No chassis or faceplate?  Did I read that right?  What are you supposed to build it in, a shoe box?
    clarkefan said:
    No chassis or faceplate?  Did I read that right?  What are you supposed to build it in, a shoe box?
    It's a kit. If you want the chassis they'll supply one.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited June 2017
    I'm quite keen to hear your thoughts and see some pics.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Interesting, but I can't honestly say I'd be willing to entrust my beautiful valve amp into a dummy load that I had soldered myself!
    Dodge said:
    clarkefan said:
    Seriously, it's not included?  Good job they don't sell cars! "Oh you're looking for wheels as well?  Yeah we sell them too if you want them".  Muppets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:
    Dodge said:
    clarkefan said:
    Muppets.
    Not really.

They give the option on all their kits to buy the bare bones, or add the chassis if you want to. Some folks might want a combo or a head for example on an amp. You might choose to buy valves with an amp kit, you might not.

I chose not to buy the chassis as I want to put mine in a rack case. I don't want to pay for parts I don't want.
    Fair enough.  

But I'm a different potential customer to you.  Like I imagine most potential customers would be.  Thoughts would be:

"So that price maybe looks good, I can solder, might be fun.  Wtf, w
    hat do you mean there's no box?"

clarkefan said:
    Fair enough.  

But I'm a different potential customer to you.  Like I imagine most potential customers would be.  Thoughts would be:

"So that price maybe looks good, I can solder, might be fun.  Wtf, w
    hat do you mean there's no box?"

If they didn't offer a box I'd agree with you, but they do. They give you the choice, like all of their kits.

How many people would want a kit without a box? To me it's lame of them to say the price is 79 quid and if you want a box add more money.  They should offer the kit at full price with a reduction for the few who don't want the box.  

Ryanair crap finding it's way into many areas it seems to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    clarkefan said:
    How many people would want a kit without a box? To me it's lame of them to say the price is 79 quid and if you want a box add more money.  They should offer the kit at full price with a reduction for the few who don't want the box.  

I'm sure Matalan could sort you out a free shoe-box if you're on your uppers.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:

At least one.

And the majority of FX kit providers have the same arrangement and give the buyer the option of whether to buy a PCB, PCB and components, enclosure, enclosure drilled, enclosure drilled and painted, knobs, different knobs. All for more money!

The cheek of it.
    If it's standard across the "kit industry" then I stand corrected, I'd no idea, I've never bought a kit anything.  Learn something new every day :)
    clarkefan said:
    If it's standard across the "kit industry" then I stand corrected, I'd no idea, I've never bought a kit anything.  Learn something new every day :)
    :-)

Anyway, back on subject: The parts have arrived. Both inductors are.mich heavier that i expected which was a surprise and the load resistors are reassuringly massive.

I suspect the 50 watt kit would have been enough for the AC30's but safety first and all that, plus the fact that I want them in a rack space means the cooler running is a positive.

Will report back when I'm ready to start building, with pics etc.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    For 79 euros you can almost get the 15 watt AMT power eater,  (£89) and it comes in a box! 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    longi said:
    For 79 euros you can almost get the 15 watt AMT power eater,  (£89) and it comes in a box! 
    Jeez, that's a good price. I bought mine at about £100, and that wasn't a bad deal at all...
    <space for hire>
    longi said:
    A 15 watt load box isn't really a fair comparison though is it? A better comparison would be the Suhr at £400 odd.