NHS cyber attack ..

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4686
    I know a number of project managers/IT consultants (myself included) who got burnt on the NHS project for telling the truth and not following the Party line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure they will be able to reverse engineer the code and find the generation algorithm. If they don't they might be able to find the database storing the keys. 

The only issue is the time limit, the program deletes all of the data after 7 days.

The thing is the algorithm will probably contain a component which is the microtime it was generated plus lots of other crap. It doesn't matter if you know the algorithm you still don't know the key.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    capo4th said:
    ewal said:
    capo4th said:
    If the Labour Party hadn't wasted £15billion on failed IT projects everyone in the NHS would be on a mac book pro by now. Epic Fail from the Labour Party.
    Why the need to politicize everything? Do you honestly think politicians are responsible for the success or failure of IT projects? Get real....
    Listen mate I am just highlighting the phenomenal waste of money in NHS IT overseen by the Labour Party let me say again £15 billion!!!! 

Yes Labour politicians were responsible for £Billions in wasted public money on NHS IT projects.

Please kindly get real and research the billions involved. Wasted by Labour! Shambolic!

Big business runs on Microsoft as does my company. 

Ok then by the same measure - the Tory's are at fault and responsilble for the current cyber attack because they haven't provided the funding for the NHS to upgrade from XP - an unsupported OS. I work for a local authority IT dept and to hear that many NHS units are still running XP is really surprising (and pretty indefensible).

Hope the Tories realise and admit the error of their ways when the incident is discussed by COBRA this afternoon.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I suspect they had the money, didn't consider it a priority.
    edited May 2017
    The whole PSN compliance agenda has totally changed attitudes to IT security within the local authority sector, although there are still inconsistencies and an organisation is still dependent on the attitude and ability of their Information Security team. I'm just surprised that there doesn't appear to be the same level of priority given to security at NHS sites.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'm sure they will be able to reverse engineer the code and find the generation algorithm. If they don't they might be able to find the database storing the keys. 

The only issue is the time limit, the program deletes all of the data after 7 days.

The thing is the algorithm will probably contain a component which is the microtime it was generated plus lots of other crap. It doesn't matter if you know the algorithm you still don't know the key.

If it is generated with an element of randomness, the key will still have to be sent somewhere so they can decrypt it when they receive payment. Unless they lie about that.

I know one company who was infected by a Cryptolocker variant, but were saved by their insane network logging, which captured the keys being sent to a server. It stupidly was sent unencrypted and they also had the server IP which they provided to the police.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    ewal said:

Ok then by the same measure - the Tory's are at fault and responsilble for the current cyber attack because they haven't provided the funding for the NHS to upgrade from XP - an unsupported OS. I work for a local authority IT dept and to hear that many NHS units are still running XP is really surprising (and pretty indefensible).

Hope the Tories realise and admit the error of their ways when the incident is discussed by COBRA this afternoon.

Unfortunately we're going to hear this sort of naive comment levelled at both political parties over the next few days. What you need to ask yourself is "Where would that money have come from?" and "Would it have been spent on IT upgrading?". The answer to the first question is some form of taxation. The second answer is no, until yesterday there were too many voices screaming about other priorities.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Hope the government has funded OS upgrades forFretwired said:
    ewal said:
    capo4th said:
    If the Labour Party hadn't wasted £15billion on failed IT projects everyone in the NHS would be on a mac book pro by now. Epic Fail from the Labour Party.
    Why the need to politicize everything? Do you honestly think politicians are responsible for the success or failure of IT projects? Get real....
    We elect politicians to run the country for us and we pay tax and expect them to spend it wisely. Health in the UK is run by a Secretary of State which is more senior than a minister. The government made the decision to create an integrated single system against the advice of experts, they awarded the contracts they negotiated the contract with the contractors so they take the blame. I'm sorry but this is political - £14 billion was wasted which could have been spent on a much cheaper solution and provided cash for front-line services.

Politicians are quick to take the credit when things go right.
    Just for accuracy - health in England and Wales (not UK) is run by the Secretary of State.

I expressed frustration because a discussion of a cyber attack was so quickly turned in to a party political point scoring exercise.... However now that it is, as I said above, it is a real pity that the current government chose not to provide funding to extend Microsoft support for Win XP thus giving NHS time to sort things out.

Strong and stable government - the biggest lie...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11410
    For all of the "why are they still using XP?" comments I haven't yet seen anything to suggest that the systems that are being used are capable of running a later OS.

If it only works on XP, what choice do you have?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
    edited May 2017
    scrumhalf said:
    For all of the "why are they still using XP?" comments I haven't yet seen anything to suggest that the systems that are being used are capable of running a later OS.

1 - The act of upgrading the OS is almost as costly as replacing the hardware on the scale of an organisation the size of the NHS.

2 - I find it hard to believe that none of the software suppliers have updated their software in the last 15 years to be compatible with modern operating systems. If they haven't, then why are the NHS still paying them?

3 - Any legacy software that can't be updated or replaced can easily be deployed using virtualisation.

4 - Everybody else on the planet can deal with this sort of thing in relatively trivial fashion.

The simple fact is that the NHS IT department is paying the price for a decade and a half of inactivity and waste.

ewal said:

I expressed frustration because a discussion of a cyber attack was so quickly turned in to a party political point scoring exercise.... However now that it is, as I said above, it is a real pity that the current government chose not to provide funding to extend Microsoft support for Win XP thus giving NHS time to sort things out.

The government doesn't make decisions on how the IT infrastructure maintenance budget is spent. That's down to the civil service and NHS management.

There's also the fact that Microsoft finally killed XP support in 2014 - they did a deal with the government to extend it, but refused to do so past a year (for £5.5m). That gave the NHS (and other civil service departments) a year to sort their shit out, but they elected not to even though the government instructed them to do so by April 2015 in return for the additional funding.

Everybody outside the NHS gave them as much help as they needed. They just fucked it up, and now they're paying the price.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:

1 - The act of upgrading the OS is almost as costly as replacing the hardware on the scale of an organisation the size of the NHS.

2 - I find it hard to believe that none of the software suppliers have updated their software in the last 15 years to be compatible with modern operating systems. If they haven't, then why are the NHS still paying them?

3 - Any legacy software that can't be updated or replaced can easily be deployed using virtualisation.

4 - Everybody else on the planet can deal with this sort of thing in relatively trivial fashion.

The simple fact is that the NHS IT department is paying the price for a decade and a half of inactivity and waste.

ewal said:

The government doesn't make decisions on how the IT infrastructure maintenance budget is spent. That's down to the civil service and NHS management.

There's also the fact that Microsoft finally killed XP support in 2014 - they did a deal with the government to extend it, but refused to do so past a year (for £5.5m). That gave the NHS (and other civil service departments) a year to sort their shit out, but they elected not to even though the government instructed them to do so by April 2015 in return for the additional funding.

Everybody outside the NHS gave them as much help as they needed. They just fucked it up, and now they're paying the price.

Indeed. It's embarrassing tbh, and I don't truly think politicians directly are responsible so much as just totally and utterly shit management. 

Politics is just a nice diversion - there are some incredibly stupid people who work for the NHS. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ewal said:
    Hope the government has funded OS upgrades forFretwired said:
    ewal said:
    capo4th said:
    We elect politicians to run the country for us and we pay tax and expect them to spend it wisely. Health in the UK is run by a Secretary of State which is more senior than a minister. The government made the decision to create an integrated single system against the advice of experts, they awarded the contracts they negotiated the contract with the contractors so they take the blame. I'm sorry but this is political - £14 billion was wasted which could have been spent on a much cheaper solution and provided cash for front-line services.

Politicians are quick to take the credit when things go right.
    Just for accuracy - health in England and Wales (not UK) is run by the Secretary of State.

You are right - Scotland is devolved. My mistake.

Labour deserves criticism as against expert advice they decided to embark on a massive IT project that involved developing a new centralised system. The chances of success were low but they pushed on regardless. NHS Trusts therefore kept their existing systems and didn't spend time, money and effort on upgrades.

Fast forward to 2010 and coalition government commissioned a report on  the project after the contractors said the project would overrun on time and cost. The project was scrapped. The whole thing was a disaster and Margaret Hodge (Labour) described it basically as the biggest government cock-up in history. It had an impact on the NHS IT strategy.

Now you talk about funding for desktops. Two points:

1. How come many NHS Trusts did upgrade (and didn't suffer from the attack) if there was no money?

2. Microsoft offered free copies of Win 7 & 8 as part of a virtualisation project - few NHS Trusts took up the offer - why?

From what I understand from comments made by IT contractors apathy played a big part at NHS Trust level.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    If you're an insurer would you be happy insuring an entity that runs medical software in non-native mode (eg Xp running n Win 7)?

Moreover, do we know how many hardware or software applications are tied to an OS because the manufacturer hasn't updated their product?

I'm not defending the gravy-train mess that is NHS IT, but some situations may not be as obvious as they seem.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    2 days ago if the press found out 100 patients had been denied a new cancer drug so they could update all the machines to Windows 10 it would have been a scandal, but today with 20/20 hindsight the opposite is true.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    2 days ago if the press found out 100 patients had been denied a new cancer drug so they could update all the machines to Windows 10 it would have been a scandal, but today with 20/20 hindsight the opposite is true.
    Which is exactly why these things are supposed to be run by expert opinion rather than public opinion...or management inertia, as it turns out.
    scrumhalf said:
    If you're an insurer would you be happy insuring an entity that runs medical software in non-native mode (eg Xp running n Win 7)?

Moreover, do we know how many hardware or software applications are tied to an OS because the manufacturer hasn't updated their product?

I'm not defending the gravy-train mess that is NHS IT, but some situations may not be as obvious as they seem.

What's actually true - in at least a couple of suppliers' cases - is that the NHS are paying over the odds for those software suppliers to support ancient (in computing terms) XP-compatible versions of their software because that's all their computers run. Software companies hate supporting old versions of their software, because it directly hurts their bottom line and impedes progress by dragging resources away from newer versions they could sell to people.

In response to @monquixote's question above...I suspect that over the next few weeks, we'll find out exactly how much supporting XP has cost the NHS in terms of life-saving drugs (and lives lost in this incident) and a whole bunch of people will be dragged through the court of public opinion in addition to losing their jobs.
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Labour on the offensive:

Labour's five questions for Hunt over NHS cyber-attack

Labour has called on Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt to outline the "immediate steps" the government is taking to improve NHS cyber-security.

In a letter to Mr Hunt, shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth says the incident "highlights the risk to data security within our modern health service and reinforces the need for cyber-security to be at the heart of government planning".

While condemning the criminals who carried out yesterday's attack that put patient well-being at risk, Mr Ashworth wants the government to respond to the following questions:
    • Why NHS organisations failed to act on a critical note from Microsoft two months ago?
    • What additional resources are being given to the NHS to bring the situation under control as soon as possible?
    • What arrangements are currently in place to protect the NHS against cyber-attacks?
    • Whether the government will launch a full, independent inquiry into the events of yesterday?
    • What reassurance is there that patient data has not been accessed or compromised?
    Apparently the reason Hunt has remained silent is the fact that cyber attacks come under the remit of the Home Office ... you couldn't make this up.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Fretwired - he can probably answer all those questions himself, since Microsoft gave the government notice of the withdrawal of support for XP and advised an upgrade while he was still working for Gordon Brown before he became PM.
    <space for hire>
    As a local authority IT service, we are under threat from the cabinet office of disconnection from the public services network if we don't commit budget and resources to eliminate all unsupported technology. It is a pain in the arse but there are always ways of dealing with legacy systems etc. I'm surprised that the same rules don't appear to apply to NHS Trusts.
    @Fretwired - he can probably answer all those questions himself, since Microsoft gave the government notice of the withdrawal of support for XP and advised an upgrade while he was still working for Gordon Brown before he became PM.
    You mean the Gordon Brown who was PM was an upgraded version? Sheeesh.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    scrumhalf said:

You mean the Gordon Brown who was PM was an upgraded version? Sheeesh.
    Promoted beyond his competence level more like...

Although come to think of it that applied when he was Chancellor too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein