NHS cyber attack ..

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2633
    capo4th said:
    If the Labour Party hadn't wasted £15billion on failed IT projects everyone in the NHS would be on a mac book pro by now. Epic Fail from the Labour Party.
    Why the need to politicize everything? Do you honestly think politicians are responsible for the success or failure of IT projects? Get real....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517
    If you use ninite to install your AV it will automatically say no to browser toolbars and associated shit 

I use this method just about every day, great tool https://ninite.com/

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Danny1969 said:
    If you use ninite to install your AV it will automatically say no to browser toolbars and associated shit 

Forgot about this, it's a really good tool. 

Also, if you get something nasty that you can't get rid of ADWCleaner is easy to use and works great. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
    edited May 2017
    I wonder what they are planning on doing to resolve this ?  There's no way they are going to pay up and, as far as my understanding of the malware goes, there is no way to decrypt the drive without the required key.  What's the plan ?  Are they going to flatten all the affected machines, reimage and restore from any backup ?

This is kinda my field too, and whilst the vast majority of core patient data (medical records etc) is now hosted at various datacentres and should be fine, the client machines in hospitals and surgeries are a completely different matter.  I regularly see critical local applications (appointment systems, anticoagulation therapy, etc etc) being run on machines where the database is local and with no backup plan whatsoever.  The level of IT literacy among staff is pot luck.  There seems to be no training at all beyond "ask Doris, she knows how to do that", and absolutely no awareness of malware prevention common sense.  The NHS IT staff I have encountered are patchy in their abilities, but their management is like something out of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

It was only a matter of time before something happened.  You can't run an IT system operated by untrained end users and maintained by school-leavers who are managed by a bunch of people who would unquestionably have gone onto Douglas Adams's "Ark B".
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    ewal said:
    capo4th said:
    If the Labour Party hadn't wasted £15billion on failed IT projects everyone in the NHS would be on a mac book pro by now. Epic Fail from the Labour Party.
    Why the need to politicize everything? Do you honestly think politicians are responsible for the success or failure of IT projects? Get real....
    Listen mate I am just highlighting the phenomenal waste of money in NHS IT overseen by the Labour Party let me say again £15 billion!!!! 

Yes Labour politicians were responsible for £Billions in wasted public money on NHS IT projects.

Please kindly get real and research the billions involved. Wasted by Labour! Shambolic!

Big business runs on Microsoft as does my company. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm assuming you're just trolling now....

Then the Labour Party have the cheek to say they will raise taxes so that Diane (eerrrmmm) Abbott can waste £billions more absolute arse holes the lot of em 
    Emp_Fab said:
    Please assume nothing. What is trolling? 

Labour Politicians wasted Billions of public money on failed IT projects it's a fact.

I am highlighting this in the context of the thread and responding to a question raised by ewal

As you were....
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    capo4th said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Please assume nothing. What is trolling? 

Labour Politicians wasted Billions of public money on failed IT projects it's a fact.

I am highlighting this in the context of the thread and responding to a question raised by ewal

As you were....
    You don't know what trolling is? Are you a 5th century European vampire?!
    European Werewolf
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    I wonder what they are planning on doing to resolve this ?  There's no way they are going to pay up and, as far as my understanding of the malware goes, there is no way to decrypt the drive without the required key.  What's the plan ?  Are they going to flatten all the affected machines, reimage and restore from any backup ?

This is kinda my field too, and whilst the vast majority of core patient data (medical records etc) is now hosted at various datacentres and should be fine, the client machines in hospitals and surgeries are a completely different matter.  I regularly see critical local applications (appointment systems, anticoagulation therapy, etc etc) being run on machines where the database is local and with no backup plan whatsoever.  The level of IT literacy among staff is pot luck.  There seems to be no training at all beyond "ask Doris, she knows how to do that", and absolutely no awareness of malware prevention common sense.  The NHS IT staff I have encountered are patchy in their abilities, but their management is like something out of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

It was only a matter of time before something happened.  You can't run an IT system operated by untrained end users and maintained by school-leavers who are managed by a bunch of people who would unquestionably have gone onto Douglas Adams's "Ark B".

Wisdom

The real impact is going to be felt when they realise how much locally held data is now lost.
    Indeed.  There will be some serious shakeups once this is over.  However - it will be badly managed and done on the cheap.
    Labour don't have the monopoly on crap IT you know @capo4th.  If the Tories are so good by comparison, why have they done nothing to address the problems in the seven years they've been running the show ?

Letting a car get dangerously unsafe is bad, but buying it and driving it for seven years more without fixing it is disgraceful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed the NHS is not really an obvious cyber criminal target though.

Do the Nigerians really want to see the details on your problems with piles in the last few years....
    Sorry   ;-)
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Indeed.  There will be some serious shakeups once this is over.  However - it will be badly managed and done on the cheap.
    Labour don't have the monopoly on crap IT you know @capo4th.  If the Tories are so good by comparison, why have they done nothing to address the problems in the seven years they've been running the show ?

Letting a car get dangerously unsafe is bad, but buying it and driving it for seven years more without fixing it is disgraceful.

Didn't you know? @capo4th reckons they've only been in power two years, the coalition doesn't count or something. 

Danny1969 said:

Amazing! That's more like it. 

Is avast good then? As in better than windows defender? I'm a generally low risk user (no illegal downloads, no dodgy websites) so the main risk is really through accidental clicking of a pop up that slips through chrome's filter and opening a bad email. 

I've heard kaspersky is good too. 

Also, my mate here said antivirus isn't enough and I need malwarebytes too! His mac got a bit ruined by malware and the genius bar recommended this. Worthwhile?

I don't mind paying if it gets much better software. But I don't really want to slow my computer down while editing photos... Lightroom is pretty hungry as it is, and if photoshop is open too... 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Emp_Fab said:

Images backups which need restoring - they do have backups. My son has been for dialysis this morning and many of the systems are back up and running and things are returning to normal.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Interesting:

Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who in 2013 leaked details of America's surveillance programs, has blamed the intelligence agency for not preventing the global cyber attack on Friday.

Hospitals have been partly blamed for not updating their software in March when a patch was released to fix the flaw. But Mr Snowden pointed out that had the NSA disclosed the vulnerability when it found it, hospitals would have had years to prepare, rather than months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/13/edward-snowden-points-blame-nsa-not-preventing-nhs-cyber-attack/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Fretwired said:
    Interesting:

Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who in 2013 leaked details of America's surveillance programs, has blamed the intelligence agency for not preventing the global cyber attack on Friday.

Hospitals have been partly blamed for not updating their software in March when a patch was released to fix the flaw. But Mr Snowden pointed out that had the NSA disclosed the vulnerability when it found it, hospitals would have had years to prepare, rather than months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/13/edward-snowden-points-blame-nsa-not-preventing-nhs-cyber-attack/

Wasn't it a leaked NSA tool that was used to exploit it, Possibly the NSA were exploiting it themselves and in no rush to share that
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    eSully said:
    Fretwired said:
    Interesting:

Wasn't it a leaked NSA tool that was used to exploit it, Possibly the NSA were exploiting it themselves and in no rush to share that

Yes that's exactly it. NSA knew about it for years but used it for their own hacking rather than telling Microsoft.