What age did you start guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    Just before my 14th birthday.

13 then?
    14 if you round it to the nearest year :)
    12 if you're superstitious
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Played a bit at school 14/15ish then nothing up until mid forties when I found my old Westone spectrum and Marshall lead 12 in the loft. Annoyed the hell out of my wife for a couple of months to the extent she bought me some lessons. Now 18months later I'm still annoying her but with a bit more variety.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    14 here too, there's a lot of starters at 14, I wonder if it was puberty, hormones and the thought it would make us girl magnets?

The answer was "No" :(
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

The eight string guitar-ish thing I was given when I was 5 or 6 doesn't really count (even though it probably sowed a seed), so 12 for playing a proper 6-string.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338

13 then?
    14 if you round it to the nearest year :)
    What, you mean like nobody ever does in the history of the world?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    21 decided to stop admiring and start playing, bought an acoustic and still play acoustic mostly, best decision ever.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    13. I badgered my dad for a guitar and got a Kay electric strat type thing for christmas. Mainly learnt Sex Pistols, Who and Jam stuff initally then a friend played me Gary Moore's Corridors Of Power album then I wanted to learn to play like him. 33 years later and I'm still trying...
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited May 2017
    axisus said:

13 then?
    14 if you round it to the nearest year
    What, you mean like nobody ever does in the history of the world?
    Anyway the question was "What age" not "What year". So I would like to submit that my original answer is valid. Although I suspect I'm going to lose this argument

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    10, 15, 20, 32 and 40 - lots of dabbling and breaks as life got in the way! Been 7 continuous years now though and I feel happy calling myself a guitarist now!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    17 in 1987. A new kid joined our class a couple of years older having repeated a number of times.
    Well he had a car and got all the girls and played guitar. I was good at maths/physics/chemistry so we formed a pact. He'd get me laid and teach me guitar I would get him to pass his final year. Unfortunately it took me another 4 years to get laid, but I did learn the minor pentatonic and got a lift into school everyday, listening to Hendrix, Cream and deep Purple.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I started out out as a bass player in my late teens and switched to guitar in my early 30's.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

I should be a lot better than I am by now....
    I was 6 when I learned my first three chords, and considering that time I ought to be a bloody wizard, but by 21 I was completely burned out and lost interest for years, and all that knowledge and experience left my head and fingers. As someone else said, it's so much harder the second time around.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    Around 14 when I bought a Hondo Les Paul off my mate.Learned how to play a A,E,G and D chord and more importantly a bar chord..Roughly learnt the riff to Anarchy in the UK and I've been smitten ever since.Still not a great player,and I'm under no illusions that I ever will be but I still enjoy what I can do.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    14 in 1991. me and my sister badgered our parents for guitars for xmas after getting Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff and Nirvana's Nevermind. Neither of us got very far until my mate's dad showed me some basics (House of the Rising Sun, Apache) and how to tune the thing properly!
    We also had one of those buskers "Play all these songs with 3 chords" books which was actually great. Being able to play actual songs and sing along was what stopped me from giving up. I didn't start learning scales until years later when I sort of hit the wall of what I could achieve without knowing any theory. I still don't know that much but I pick it up as I need to.

I had a Hondo Strat, my sis had a Tanglewood LP and we shared a Hohner amp.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536

I finally took up guitar after convincing my dad to buy me a nylon string acoustic, as a classical teacher had just started at school. I had about 8 lessons before figuring out Johnny B. Goode by ear and finding my niche.

I gave up in my late teens, then bought a Squier Strat in my early 20's.

I didn't really have any sort of plan for learning, just tried to copy songs and learn from others.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    "

What age did you start guitar?"

I'm still 'starting' 55 yrs later. I've come to the conclusion - it's a long road - - -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12332
    19, was shit then and I'm shit now 25 yrs later. I don't care because I love it!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662
    Bought a Columbus Bass for £27 when l was 15.....then a Gibson EB something after seeing Free's Andy Fraser, then a Precision when l was about 23...played in various bands until l was about 30 then chucked it and sold all my gear.....bad move, Bought a harmonica ...all l could afford at the time...then sang, played blues harp in a few blues bands until l was 42......
    Bought my first guitar then and been at it ever since.
    l am pretty shit, but enjoy it immensely.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    16, I wanted to start before, but was too lazy to start a new hobby.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    15. I dropped it for about ten years while we went through the marriage and young family years, but have been playing consistently since then. I'm hoping that my fingers, ears, and back have a few years' playing left in them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.