Need advice on new pickup

2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2017
    Before you spend money on a new p/up(s), have you tried adjusting the pick-up height and experimenting with it both higher and lower? It's really surprising sometimes how even modest adjustments to p/up height can totally change what you hear.  Lowering the height just a tad can give a much warmer tone, raising it may mean you get a more aggressive tone - the trick is to find the sweet spot that's right for you.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I would say the same thing about pickup height.  It can make such a difference.

But for pickup recommendation I would +1 for the Oil City Night Fighter.  I have also in another guitar Oil City Black Arrow and its brilliant.  That is highly recommended.  And to recommend the traditional brands I have SD Distortion in another one and I totally love it.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10480
    tFB Trader
    bassbora said:
    I would say the same thing about pickup height.  It can make such a difference.

But for pickup recommendation I would +1 for the Oil City Night Fighter.  I have also in another guitar Oil City Black Arrow and its brilliant.  That is highly recommended.  And to recommend the traditional brands I have SD Distortion in another one and I totally love it.
    If you want a Black Arrow I have an ex demo 50mm spaced one in the classifieds for cheap http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/103833/oil-city-workshop-clearout-continues?new=1
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message