Ever seen a snake wild in the UK?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I have once. It was about 6 inches long and all yellow. It was definitely a snake and not a slow worm, I've also seen slow worms and I know what they are like. Must have escaped or been let loose as this country doesn't have little yellow snakes. I tried to catch it but he was a slippery customer and got away in undergrowth.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Saw an adder on the slopes around Corfe Castle - near shat me pants !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I've seen adders a couple of times when they have been out basking. First time was up in Perthshire near Loch Errochty.  It was a bit scary at the time but once you realise they won't go for you like in the cowboy movies it's fine. Found one in my back garden a couple of years back when I nearly stepped on it. I'm glad it's adders I'm seeing here though and not the snakes I saw as a boy in Hong Kong!
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    Used to get metre-long snakes in our grass compost in St Albans. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited May 2017
    Yes! Green grass snake last weekend. We were sitting by a small lake eating sandwiches and it looks like a stick swimming across. Out of the lake slithered a green grass snake. 

Terrible picture, but towards the bottom of this.
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!An1C7f0Qk0d1jfYQ6TVV0wGM3GvYsw
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28505
    There are quite a few on the heathlands where Sprocket gets walked - on the really hot weekend a month or so ago I saw three grassnakes and heard at least a dozen more. I don't think I've seen an adder, but quite a few slow worms. Yesterday there was a hornet on the path. Big orange git. Luckily Sprocket left it be and it buzzed off elsewhere.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    I used to see green grass snakes in a wildlife place called Hills & Holes near Stamford, but not seen any since. There are supposed to be quite a few Adders on Cannock Chase which is not far from me, but in all the years visiting the place I've yet to see one.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    edited May 2017
    Yes. See below, in Bushy Park about a year ago. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5534
    Yeah I saw an adder at Brodie Castle on a school trip. Teacher got a total panic on but we were all fascinated by it. A snake! A real snake!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    Almost stepped on an adder (at least thats what my friend told me it was) when I was on holiday in Scotland when I was a child.
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    Why didn't the viper viper nose?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    I've seen two when cycling along the road that cuts through marshland along the coast from Cardiff to Newport. One crossed the road in front of me to get into a drainage ditch, the other was roadkill. Pretty sure they were grass snakes.

One of sister's cats a few years ago left half a snake on the kitchen floor one morning. My sister assumed it was a rubber toy from the kids next door and went to pick it up. No, it was real! The cat wasn't even adult-sized at the time, fair play.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I saw loads of snakes last week, Cobras, Adders, the whole lot! Right in the middle of Camden as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3228
    Grass snake crossing the road on a sunny day in Sussex -it was quite a long one, or at least it seemed to be, I was worried that I might have run it over. There are loads on the South Downs I gather, my cousin regularly encounters them when out walking the dog, although that's the only time I've seen one. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    No,  I would have loved to have seen one.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Being a keen angler I get to see loads of snakes when I'm out on the bankside. Mainly grass snakes, and the odd adder. 
  • I used to teach a field trip on Mull each year. I'd always see at least a couple of Adders if the weather was warm.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Yes, when I was a child - I lived out in the country in Herefordshire. Saw a grass snake and an adder in the garden. (Not at the same time!) The adder was a beautiful thing, and much smaller than I expected - presumably young. So was I - about six or seven I think. I was aware enough not to try to touch it though.

I don't really understand the fear of snakes to be honest - they're fascinating and elegant animals. But I know that doesn't help people who have an instinctive reaction to them...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Saw a big adder outside our house 3 years ago
    My dog was bitten by an adder in the field next to the house -he was very poorly and lame for about 10 days but he survived
    after antibiotics for the infection and steroids for inflammation
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    I used to see Adders and Grass Snakes all the time when I lived in Devon. 

...I ran over their heads on my BMX.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    Frequently saw grass snakes and adders when I was growing up as we lived next to a heath, ideal habitat.